Articles by Philip Ross
- Super Bowl Boulevard: Your Guide To NYC’s Game Day Headquarters
January 28 2014 1:33 PM
To mark Sunday’s Super Bowl XLVIII, the NFL is turning New York City into Super Bowl headquarters with “Super Bowl Boulevard,” a series of football-themed events along Broadway. Here’s your complete guide to pregame festivities in NYC.
- Tom Perkins Responds To Nazi Germany And 1 Percent Criticism
January 27 2014 6:34 PM
Tom Perkins says he regrets the comparison to Nazi Germany but not the message.
- Current California Drought Is Driest In State’s History; Scientists Fear ‘Megadroughts’
January 27 2014 4:11 PM
California, facing a severe water crisis, is entering its third year of record-low rainfall, and scientists are fearing “megadroughts."
- Gunshot Wounds Hospitalize 20 US Children Every Day, Study Underlines ‘Toll Of Gun-Related Injuries’
January 27 2014 1:51 PM
New analysis of death and injury rates among U.S. children 19 years and younger shows that gunshot wounds send 20 kids to the hospital every day.
- Mini-Satellite ‘Space Cops’ Could Control Satellite Traffic And Help Prevent Collisions
January 25 2014 4:59 PM
Researchers in California are developing a system of mini-satellite “space cops” designed to police satellite traffic above Earth.
- Polar Bears ‘More Resilient’ To Climate Change
January 25 2014 3:04 PM
New research shows the Arctic’s greatest predator as a better adapter to warmer temperatures than first thought.
- Space Dust Possible Source Of Water On Moon And Maybe Even Life On Other Planets
January 25 2014 12:27 PM
The source of water on the Moon has long eluded scientists, but new research into the ability of interplanetary dust to form water suggests the Moon’s water may have come from outer space.
- 4,500-Year-Old ‘Garbage’ From Ancient Egyptian Mansion Reveals Elites’ Luxurious Taste
January 23 2014 5:14 PM
Archeologists studying the ruins of a 4,500-year-old Egyptian mansion are finding clues about how ancient Egypt’s upper echelon lived.
- 'Ghost Ship' Full Of Cannibal Rats Headed For UK Coast, Where Will Lyubov Orlova Make Landfall?
January 23 2014 2:30 PM
An abandoned Russian ship whose only passengers are thousands of hungry, disease-ridden rats is headed for the UK mainland. The Lyubov Orlova, dubbed the “ghost ship,” has been adrift at sea for 12 months.
- Fetus Of Marlise Munoz ‘Deformed,’ Family Of Brain Dead Texas Mom In ‘Absolute Anguish’ As Daughter Remains On Life Support
January 23 2014 1:16 PM
The fetus of a Texas woman who has been kept on life support against her will is “deformed,” according to a statement from the family’s attorney.
- Strange, ‘Scaly’ Sea Creature Found Off New Zealand Coast Not So Bizarre After All
January 22 2014 7:18 PM
A fisherman in New Zealand had a bizarre catch, but it turned out to be something quite common.
- Can Taking Pain Relievers Spread Flu Virus Faster?
January 22 2014 4:12 PM
Fever-relieving medicine can encourage the virus to continue thriving in the body.
- Eye Movement And Personality Trait Linked
January 22 2014 3:13 PM
What does your eye movement say about you? Apparently, quite a bit, at least when it comes to how patient or impatient you are.
- How Fish Fins Evolved Into Mammal Limbs
January 22 2014 2:09 PM
Scientists have long speculated about the origin of mammalian limbs, but a new study sheds light on the mystery of how life on Earth got its legs.
- Is Too Much Sitting Hazardous For Your Health? Study Finds Heart Failure 52 Percent More Likely In Sedentary Men
January 21 2014 8:19 PM
A new study highlights the hazards posed to your health when you sit too much.
- Severe El Niño Weather To ‘Double’ As Climate Change Continues To Warm Planet, Study Finds
January 21 2014 6:44 PM
Scientists predict extreme El Niño events are likely to double in the next few decades.
- Extinction Threatens 1 In 4 Shark And Ray Species
January 21 2014 5:59 PM
New analysis of our oceans projects a dire future for our Earth’s shark and ray populations. A study conducted over the past twenty years found that one-quarter of all shark and ray species face extinction within the next few decades.
- NASA Sends 800 Ants To Space To Study Behavior In Low-Gravity
January 21 2014 2:24 PM
NASA’s “Ants in Space” program is aimed at establishing a colony of ants on the ISS. Scientists have sent 800 ants into space in order to study how the little critters react in low-gravity environments.
- Did Fish Oil Help Grant Virgin Recover From A Coma?
January 19 2014 3:57 PM
A California teen nearly killed in a hit-and-run accident last year has made an amazing recovery, due in part to a therapy involving fish oil.
- Zakieya Latrice Avery, Maryland Mother Stabbed Her Children To Death Performing An 'Exorcism'
January 19 2014 2:36 PM
Two other children, siblings of the two who were killed, are in serious condition.