Articles by Philip Ross
- Target Offers Customers 10% Discount This Weekend
December 21 2013 8:02 PM
Possible victims of identity theft were anyone who shopped at Target locations from Black Friday through Dec. 15.
- The Message In A Bottle Found 54 Years Later In Arctic
December 21 2013 6:59 PM
Two researchers in a remote area of the Canadian Arctic stumbled on a mysterious 54-year-old message in a bottle and found that the note inside alluded to future glacial melting.
- Patient Receives First Artificial Heart In France
December 21 2013 5:30 PM
Surgeons in France have successfully implanted an artificial heart into a patient suffering from heart disease, making it the first device to fully replace a human heart.
- Bay Area Protestors Block And Vandalize Tech Buses
December 21 2013 3:35 PM
Demonstrators in SF halted three private commuter buses on Friday to protest what they say are the tech industry’s detrimental impact on the city.
- Last Minute Christmas Gift Ideas: 9 Down-To-The-Wire Presents For Wine Lovers, Sophisticates, Do-Gooders And More
December 20 2013 4:00 PM
Christmas is just around the corner, and maybe you’re struggling for that last minute gift. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- November 2013 Warmest Month On Record? Average Global Temperature Was ‘Highest’ Since Records Began
December 18 2013 3:50 PM
According to new data from the National Climate Data Center, November was the world’s warmest month on record since scientists first started keeping track over 120 years ago.
- Yellowstone Volcano 2.5 Times Bigger Than Previously Thought, Eruption Would Cause ‘A Lot Of Destruction’
December 18 2013 1:36 PM
That massive chamber of magma lying beneath Wyoming's famed national park turns out to be much larger than scientists had thought.
- Stonehenge Getting Sleek $44M Visitor Center
December 17 2013 6:38 PM
Stonehenge is getting a facelift with the addition of a sleek new visitor center, but the “dignity” of the ancient site will remain intact.
- Sharks May Tell Which Way People Face, Choose To ‘Swim Up From Behind’
December 17 2013 3:52 PM
A new study of shark behavior suggests that the ocean’s largest predator may recognize which direction divers are facing and choose to approach them from behind.
- James Costello, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor, Proposes To Rehab Nurse Kristina D'Agostino
December 17 2013 1:47 PM
James Costello, a survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing who was injured in the blasts, proposed to a nurse he met during his rehabilitation.
- Reddit Bans Climate Change Deniers From Science Forums
December 16 2013 7:52 PM
Reddit recently barred commenters who harp on about climate change being a hoax from commenting in their science forums.
- Women Scientists Still Underrepresented And Underfunded
December 16 2013 6:14 PM
A recent study found that female scientists in the UK whose work involves infectious diseases got fewer grants and received less funding than their male colleagues.
- Arctic Sea Ice 50% Thicker Than Last Year, Scientists ‘Didn’t Expect’ Growth In Wake Of 2012 Shrinkage
December 16 2013 3:44 PM
According to the European Space Agency, the Arctic sea ice got thicker over the past year, particularly around the Canadian archipelago and North Greenland.
- Jahi McMath ‘Brain Dead’ After Tonsil Surgery, 13-Year-Old Oakland Teen May ‘Never Come Home Again’
December 16 2013 1:02 PM
The family of Jahi McMath, who was left brain dead following tonsil surgery, is struggling with the decision of whether or not to take the 13-year-old off life support.
- Is Snowden Still Keeping NSA Secrets?
December 15 2013 7:39 PM
Investigators may never know exactly what Edward Snowden took from the NSA facility in Hawaii.
- Actor Peter O’Toole Dies At 81
December 15 2013 4:52 PM
A recipient of eight Oscar nominations, the actor never took home a statue.
- Is The Universe Collapsing? Scientists Say The Process May Have ‘Already Started’
December 15 2013 3:00 PM
Physicists have long predicted that at some point, the entire universe will collapse. Scientists now say that this process could happen sooner than we think.
- Newtown Mourns On Anniversary, Free Of Media
December 14 2013 9:30 PM
The Connecticut town is left to recall Sandy Hook school slaughter in peace.
- Cody Walker, Late Paul Walker’s Lookalike Brother, Asked To Finish ‘Fast And Furious 7’
December 14 2013 6:41 PM
Cody Walker, Paul Walker’s younger brother, was reportedly approached by Universal Pictures to finish his late brother’s role as Brian O’Connor in “Fast and the Furious 7.”
- Are Comb Jellyfish Humans’ Oldest Ancestors? Sea Walnut Is ‘Crucial’ To Evolution, Scientists Say
December 14 2013 4:27 PM
Scientists studying the genomes of aquatic life forms found that the comb jelly, a relative of the jellyfish, is the oldest multicellular animal.