- The Life Of A Damascus Family, Awaiting A US Strike
September 07 2013 9:04 AM
As the world debates intervention, one Damascus family’s routine reflects the nation’s turmoil and dread.
- Syrians Confused, But Relieved, By US Delay Of Military Action
September 01 2013 5:21 PM
“I’ve never heard of someone declaring a military strike and then going off to talk about it,” one mystified Syrian said.
- In Damascus, Tense Wait For A US Strike, With No Government Help
August 31 2013 11:44 AM
Damascenes have seen a lot of war and death in years of civil war, but never a missile raid. Syria's government is doing little to prepare them.
- In Lebanon, Citizens Role-Play With Army Commandos; In Syria And Egypt, They Battle
August 30 2013 9:05 PM
Unlike its peers in Syria and Egypt, the Lebanese military is cozying up to its citizens with “Be a Commando for a Day” exercises.
- Living And Working In Damascus Under The Threat of US Bombs
August 29 2013 5:10 PM
For a reporter covering the war in Syria, there's a sense that everyone in Damascus shares the same uncertainty.
- In The Streets of Damascus, Residents Wait and Worry
August 28 2013 9:51 AM
Many in Damascus welcome the expected attack but wonder what the outcome will be and how they can prepare for it.
- Displaced By War, Syrian Artists Find Inspiration In Lebanese Colony
August 16 2013 8:57 PM
Among thousands of Syrians displaced by civil war, a lucky few are ensconced in an artists’ colony in the mountain town of Aley, Lebanon.
- For Syrian Refugees In Lebanon: Empathy, Resentment And Schadenfreude
July 27 2013 11:11 AM
Syrians who have fled their civil war by taking refuge in Lebanon face a population that is increasingly disturbed by their presence.
- In Syria, Morsi’s Ouster Inspires Awe, And Irony From Assad
July 04 2013 4:35 PM
As the Egyptian army overthrew the government, Syrians mused: "What if...?", while their president had a very different take.
- Damascus Diary: Time To Fear The Islamists. Or Not?
June 04 2013 11:51 AM
The conventional wisdom is that Syria's civil war is now a sectarian religious war. But many Syrians say the sectarians don't belong there.
- Damascus Diary: Leaving Syria But Not Its Civil War
May 16 2013 1:49 PM
Getting to Beirut from Damascus used to be easy. Now it's a torturous slog, and it does not guarantee leaving the conflict behind.
- Damascus Diary: Syrians Flee To Downtown Damascus As War Closes In
April 25 2013 12:54 PM
Damascenes fleeing the war end up in the capital's downtown, but the security found there is elusive. And it may be gone soon.
- Secular Assad Uses Religion To Fight Rebels In Syria
April 06 2013 8:52 AM
The Assad regime has called on Shiites to take up arms against the Syrian rebels. In doing so, it has opened a can of snakes.
- Living In Damascus, Under Rocket And Mortar Attack
April 01 2013 12:17 PM
The Syrian rebels are closing in on the capital's center. Damascenes huddle in fear, as the sounds of war punctuate what used to be normal life.
- Honey, Does This Civil War Make Me Look Fat?
March 11 2013 10:23 AM
It's not a well-known side effect of an encroaching war, but it's happening: People in Damascus are gaining weight.
- Damascus Diary: The Cats Of War - Feral Felines Show Another Side Of Syria's Conflict
February 27 2013 4:51 PM
"February is the month for cats," a Syrian proverb says. As war rages, the capital's stray felines may not be much better off than the people.
- Syrian Rebels Shift Strategy, Say 'Zero Hour' Is Near
November 08 2012 9:59 AM
Syrian rebels appear to be changing tactics as their Damascus offensive intensifies: Assad's palace is the next prize.
- Killing Of Orthodox Priest Sheds Light On Syria's "Disappeared"
October 29 2012 4:12 PM
Father Fadi Haddad was a Christian priest, but above all a just man, respected by all religions. So why was he killed, and why might Syrian government thugs have wanted him dead?
- Syria's Assad Behind Bars? Yes, At The Damascus Zoo
October 13 2012 2:09 PM
There's one place where Assads are kept in cages. A lot of Assads. But Syrians are too afraid to mention it.
- Syria's Opposition Tries New Approach
September 25 2012 1:17 PM
Not every opposer of Bashar al-Assad's regime is an armed fighter. Some are trying peaceful means and talking about them in public.