Articles by Rasha Elass
- Displaced By War, Syrian Artists Find Inspiration In Lebanese Colony
August 16 2013 8:57 PM
Among thousands of Syrians displaced by civil war, a lucky few are ensconced in an artists’ colony in the mountain town of Aley, Lebanon.
- For Syrian Refugees In Lebanon: Empathy, Resentment And Schadenfreude
July 27 2013 11:11 AM
Syrians who have fled their civil war by taking refuge in Lebanon face a population that is increasingly disturbed by their presence.
- In Syria, Morsi’s Ouster Inspires Awe, And Irony From Assad
July 04 2013 4:35 PM
As the Egyptian army overthrew the government, Syrians mused: "What if...?", while their president had a very different take.
- Damascus Diary: Time To Fear The Islamists. Or Not?
June 04 2013 11:51 AM
The conventional wisdom is that Syria's civil war is now a sectarian religious war. But many Syrians say the sectarians don't belong there.
- Damascus Diary: Leaving Syria But Not Its Civil War
May 16 2013 1:49 PM
Getting to Beirut from Damascus used to be easy. Now it's a torturous slog, and it does not guarantee leaving the conflict behind.
- Damascus Diary: Syrians Flee To Downtown Damascus As War Closes In
April 25 2013 12:54 PM
Damascenes fleeing the war end up in the capital's downtown, but the security found there is elusive. And it may be gone soon.
- Secular Assad Uses Religion To Fight Rebels In Syria
April 06 2013 8:52 AM
The Assad regime has called on Shiites to take up arms against the Syrian rebels. In doing so, it has opened a can of snakes.
- Living In Damascus, Under Rocket And Mortar Attack
April 01 2013 12:17 PM
The Syrian rebels are closing in on the capital's center. Damascenes huddle in fear, as the sounds of war punctuate what used to be normal life.
- Honey, Does This Civil War Make Me Look Fat?
March 11 2013 10:23 AM
It's not a well-known side effect of an encroaching war, but it's happening: People in Damascus are gaining weight.
- Damascus Diary: The Cats Of War - Feral Felines Show Another Side Of Syria's Conflict
February 27 2013 4:51 PM
"February is the month for cats," a Syrian proverb says. As war rages, the capital's stray felines may not be much better off than the people.
- Syrian Rebels Shift Strategy, Say 'Zero Hour' Is Near
November 08 2012 9:59 AM
Syrian rebels appear to be changing tactics as their Damascus offensive intensifies: Assad's palace is the next prize.
- Killing Of Orthodox Priest Sheds Light On Syria's "Disappeared"
October 29 2012 4:12 PM
Father Fadi Haddad was a Christian priest, but above all a just man, respected by all religions. So why was he killed, and why might Syrian government thugs have wanted him dead?
- Syria's Assad Behind Bars? Yes, At The Damascus Zoo
October 13 2012 2:09 PM
There's one place where Assads are kept in cages. A lot of Assads. But Syrians are too afraid to mention it.
- Syria's Opposition Tries New Approach
September 25 2012 1:17 PM
Not every opposer of Bashar al-Assad's regime is an armed fighter. Some are trying peaceful means and talking about them in public.
- Bitter Syrian Homecoming: An Ex-Pat Returns To Damascus To Find A Nation Beyond Wounded, Already Dead
September 08 2012 2:05 PM
A Syrian expatriate makes it back to a violent, sun-baked Damascus in the grip of the civil war. Amid the funerals of the young people killed in the fighting, who must be referred to as "accident victims", one thing is clear: Syria is waging war on its very future.
- Heritage In the Crossfire: How Syria Is Destroying Its Past
August 25 2012 2:08 PM
Syria was hailed as one of the world's hotbeds of great archaeological finds, with a government that cared for its priceless heritage. But that was before the civil war.
- A Syrian Rebel's Story Of Deceit And Disillusion In The Fight Against Assad: 'Now, It's All Ruined'
August 18 2012 6:56 PM
Raed, 21, is a wounded rebel fighter in the Syrian civil war now hiding from the forces of the country's President Bashar al-Assad. But the revolution he fought for, Raed says ruefully, has been hijacked.
- Shia, Sunni, Christian? A Dangerous Question In Revolutionary Syria As The Secular Nation Faces Rising Violence Among Religions
August 11 2012 1:04 PM
Up to now, Syrians caught in the crossfire of a revolution cared little about their neighbors' religion, whether it be Shia, Sunni or Christian. That may change, and violently.
- Assad Using Cluster Bombs On Syrian Civilians, Says Human Rights Watch
August 04 2012 12:09 PM
The humanitarian group says it has verified rebel claims that Bashar al-Assad's regime is using the controversial munitions in the civil war