Articles by Roxanne Palmer
- Carbon Monoxide Snow Falls 175 Light-Years Away
July 18 2013 2:08 PM
In the dusty, gassy disk surrounding the star TW Hydrae, there's a point beyond which carbon monoxide freezes.
- H7N9 Bird Flu Can Jump Between Mammals: Study
July 18 2013 2:02 PM
A strain of the H7N9 bird flu virus found in a human patient efficiently spread from one ferret to another in a new study.
- Mixing Alcohol And Heroin: A Dangerous Combo
July 17 2013 12:23 PM
Actor Cory Monteith's death underscores the dangers of combining alcohol and heroin.
- T. Rex Tooth Might Prove Dinosaur Was Hunter, Not Scavenger
July 16 2013 9:41 PM
A Tyrannosaurus rex tooth found embedded in the tail of another dinosaur could settle the debate over T. rex's lifestyle.
- New Magnet Could Boost CERN's Atom-Smasher
July 16 2013 5:45 PM
A new magnet design that uses a delicate yet powerful superconducting material is performing well in tests.
- Obamacare Side Effect: Job Mobility
July 16 2013 11:16 AM
Expanded health insurance coverage could mean people decide to leave jobs they were working at just for the insurance.
- Scientists Try To Figure Out Secret To Reddit Karma
July 15 2013 2:44 PM
Using data science to figure out what kinds of posts, memes, and photos are successful on social media.
- Puffins Return To Maine For Nesting Season [PHOTOS]
July 15 2013 12:14 PM
The puffin was brought back from the brink of extinction about a century ago, but now new threats loom.
- Lionfish Invasions, Underwater Forests: The Week In Science
July 13 2013 9:32 PM
The lionfish invasion of the Atlantic is getting bad, glass sponges take advantage of ice melts, and air pollution kills.
- The Next Generation Of Supercomputers Needs Software
July 12 2013 3:39 PM
One computer scientist is working to create software that will run on the supercomputers of the future.
- How Do Astronauts Wash Their Hair In Space? [VIDEO]
July 12 2013 11:06 AM
In space, hair care involves lathering, but there's no need to rinse.
- HIV Used To Treat Kids With Rare Genetic Diseases
July 11 2013 2:01 PM
After pulling HIV's fangs, doctors can use the virus as a courier to deliver gene therapy.
- Cat Poop: Underplayed Public Health Menace?
July 09 2013 12:54 PM
Cat feces may be contaminating parks, sandboxes and even the ocean with the toxoplasmosis parasite.
- NYPD, Scientists Release (Harmless) Gas In NYC Subways
July 09 2013 10:10 AM
Scientists are studying the movement of tracer gases to help prepare for accidents or terror attacks.
- Roswell Mystery Still Captivates 66 Years Later
July 08 2013 6:48 PM
Roswell was either the site of a UFO crash or a weather balloon gone awry, depending on which story you believe.
- The Quest For Food - Seed Banks Could Hold The Answer
July 08 2013 6:04 PM
However, the seed bank holdings must be genetically sequenced to be truly useful to the world's endangered food supply.
- Watch Bats Fly In X-Ray Vision
July 08 2013 3:30 PM
With a combination of 3D bone models and X-ray videos, scientists get a closeup look at how bats launch into the air.
- Can Crowdfunding Rescue Scientific Research?
July 05 2013 12:13 PM
Some scientists are joining artists and musicians in passing the digital hat around.
- Lobsters Are Affected By Climate Change, Too
July 03 2013 6:24 PM
The Gulf of Maine is seeing a lobster boom recently, but scientists warn of the consequences of warmer waters.
- How Biotech Works Against Dangerous Cow Farts: Study
July 03 2013 5:16 PM
Some agricultural techniques that speed production may have the side effect of reducing emissions, researchers say.