- Oxygen Appeared On Earth 700 Million Years Earlier Than Previously Thought: Study
September 25 2013 2:10 PM
New evidence from ancient soils suggests oxygen was in Earth's atmosphere as early as 3 billion years ago.
- Obama Touts Lower Premiums On Health Insurance Exchanges
September 25 2013 12:55 PM
A federal report says more than half of uninsured Americans should be able to pay premiums of $100 or less on the new exchanges.
- Robot That Crossed Pacific Ocean Took Notes Along The Way
September 25 2013 5:44 AM
California company Liquid Robotics held a contest to find the best use of data from its robots' trans-Pacific journey.
- Ghost Towns Revealed By Droughts
September 24 2013 3:10 PM
Once-submerged ghost towns can rise from the depths in an especially dry season.
- Nuclear Fusion Within Grasp, Scientists Say
September 24 2013 12:12 PM
Energy from nuclear fusion could transform society, but there are still some major hurdles to overcome.
- How Richard Dawkins Became A Scientist
September 23 2013 4:24 PM
The famous evolutionary biologist and atheist opens up about his childhood in Africa and England in his new memoir.
- Global Warming 'Hiatus' Grabs Climate Science Spotlight
September 23 2013 12:44 PM
An upcoming report reconsiders certain models of climate sensitivity in light of recent data.
- Bar Body Language, Unlucky Armadilloes: The Week In Science
September 21 2013 10:16 AM
Science cracks the code of getting a bartender's attention; an armadillo runs afoul of a rocket launch.
- Hyperdimensional Geometry’s Wild Shapes [PICTURES]
September 20 2013 2:45 PM
Think more fourth-dimensionally.
- Aquatic Robots Aid Quest For Better Hurricane Forecasts
September 20 2013 10:30 AM
Scientists are using ocean-going robots to better predict the strength of developing hurricanes.
- A Secret History Of Women In Science Unveiled In New York
September 20 2013 6:09 AM
A new exhibit in New York City highlights the careers of dozens of women in science, from the 1500s to today.
- 'Cat Lady' Parasite Makes Mice Foolishly Bold Shortly After Infection: Study
September 18 2013 5:41 PM
Mice infected with the "cat lady" parasite lose their fear of felines more easily than previously thought.
- New Kind Of Brain Activity Found Beyond Deep Coma
September 18 2013 5:03 PM
In comas deeper than a "flat-lined" EEG state, researchers found a pulse of brain activity they're calling "Nu-complexes."
- Science Behind 'Corked' Wine
September 17 2013 6:15 PM
The compound behind musty wine turns out to wreak havoc with your sense of smell.
- Weather Looks Good For Autumn Leaves In Mid-Atlantic
September 17 2013 2:03 PM
Autumn leaf color is influenced by the weather, and conditions look ripe for a vibrant season on the mid-Atlantic coast.
- Harvest Moon Lights Up Sky Before Autumn Equinox
September 17 2013 11:06 AM
A bright full moon is scheduled to bloom several days before the Northern Hemisphere enters the fall season.
- Save The (Ugly) Animals! [PHOTOS]
September 12 2013 5:00 PM
The blobfish isn't as cute as a giant panda, but it's threatened too.
- Snob Science: It's OK To Order The Cheapest Wine
September 12 2013 3:37 PM
Reality check for snobs: Expensive wine doesn't taste better and CDs reproduce performances with greater fidelity than vinyl.
- Purifying Water? Just Add Cilantro
September 12 2013 12:13 PM
Research suggests cilantro could be a cheaper way to remove contaminants like lead from drinking water.
- Scientists Crush Your 'Jurassic Park' Dreams
September 11 2013 5:48 PM
Despite what you saw in "Jurassic Park," it's impossible to extract DNA from insects preserved in amber.