Articles by Roxanne Palmer
- 22 Responses To Buzzfeed's 22 Creationist Messages
February 05 2014 4:17 PM
Buzzfeed published 22 questions and statements from Creationists; here's some responses from a science reporter.
- Beware The Facebook Blizzard Hype
February 05 2014 1:42 PM
Alarming weather maps have been going viral on social media, with a lack of context fueling fear.
- Imagine Trying To Create The Coldest Spot In The Universe
February 05 2014 7:50 AM
The Cold Atom Laboratory will be investigating the quantum world by dropping the temperature way, way down.
- Cows Make More Milk After Giving Birth To Daughters: Study
February 04 2014 3:31 PM
Mama cows produce more milk when they're pregnant with daughters, a study finds.
- Heroin Strain Implicated In Hoffman Death May Be Behind Rash Of ODs
February 03 2014 5:40 PM
The painkiller fentanyl, sometimes mixed with heroin, has been implicated in a spate of fatal overdoses from Rhode Island to Pennsylvania.
- Pregnancy Colds May Up Child's Asthma Risk: Study
February 03 2014 3:44 PM
What to expect if you're sick while expecting: higher risks for breathing problems in your child.
- Winter Storm Kicks Off Snowy Start To February
February 03 2014 12:11 PM
Snow arrives on the East Coast the day after Punxsutawney Phil predicted an additional six weeks of winter.
- Watch Your Back, Siri
January 31 2014 5:23 PM
Intel is working on a new kind of voice recognition device that, unlike Apple's Siri, functions offline.
- Love At First Sniff: How Scent Figures Into Romance
January 31 2014 3:06 PM
The science behind romance and odor, in humans and animals.
- Monarch Migration Dips, FAA Nixes Drone-Delivered Beer: The Week In Science
January 31 2014 11:51 AM
Fewer and fewer monarchs are making the trek to wintering ground in Mexico.
- Neanderthal Genetic Legacy In Humans Seems To Be A Mixed Bag
January 29 2014 3:51 PM
Interbreeding with Neanderthals seems to have conferred advantages -- and some and drawbacks -- to early humans.
- Why President Obama Is Pushing For High-Tech Manufacturing Hubs
January 29 2014 12:45 PM
One of the highlights of the president's address Tuesday was a 3-D printing hub in Youngstown, Ohio.
- Super Bowl Science For Gridiron Nerds
January 29 2014 9:59 AM
What could be more exciting than the savage ballet that is pro football? Adding science to it!
- Newly Discovered Brain Region Is Uniquely Human, Scientists Think
January 28 2014 2:30 PM
Comparing brain scans of monkeys and humans yields an interesting detail: an area of the brain that seems uniquely ours.
- DDT Exposure May Be Environmental Risk Factor For Alzheimer's
January 27 2014 5:13 PM
Alzheimer's patients have higher levels of DDT breakdown products in their blood, researchers found.
- President Obama's State Of The Union: The Science/Tech Pitch
January 27 2014 2:32 PM
Here are a few of the key issues that the science and technology sector will be paying attention to on Tuesday night.
- How The Maple Syrup Industry Might Radically Change
January 24 2014 4:33 PM
New research suggests a way to radically restructure maple syrup production.
- Mantis Shrimp Eyes, Nose Maggots: The Week In Science
January 24 2014 1:12 PM
Scientists unlocked the secret of the mantis shrimp's eyes, which see in a way unique in the animal kingdom.
- How To Build Tsunami-Proof Homes And Communities
January 23 2014 5:32 PM
While no structure can be indestructible, there are design measures that can reduce the damage from monster waves.
- Bats Follow Ripples In Ponds Back To Croaking Frogs [PHOTOS]
January 23 2014 2:45 PM
A frog's amorous call betrays him to more than just potential mates.