Articles by Roxanne Palmer
- Living Cells Printed With A Stamp
February 10 2014 4:56 PM
A new method of printing living cells is inspired by both a children's toy and Chinese woodblock prints.
- Was The Copenhagen Zoo Justified In Killing Marius The Giraffe?
February 10 2014 1:24 PM
The issue of inbreeding is a common problem in zoos, and giraffes are no exception.
- Winter Weather Dangers: Power Outages, Frozen Pipes, And More
February 07 2014 10:53 PM
The many ways that winter weather threatens your heat, electricity, and water supply.
- Q&A With David Robinson, Snow Scientist
February 07 2014 9:05 PM
Snow influences the climate and your life a lot more than you might think.
- Gladiator Skulls, Overdose Antidote: The Week In Science
February 07 2014 1:42 PM
Ancient skulls found near London bear marks of massive wounds that might've been dealt in a gladitorial arena.
- Scientists Put Fake Tails On Chickens To Study Dinosaur Walking [VIDEO]
February 06 2014 5:24 PM
With a stick and a bit of modeling clay, and a chicken walks a bit more like a T. rex.
- 'The Sixth Extinction' Examines Ongoing Ecological Crisis
February 06 2014 4:11 PM
A New Yorker writer offers snapshots of species disappearing before our eyes -- perhaps the first waves of a more massive trend.
- 22 Responses To Buzzfeed's 22 Creationist Messages
February 05 2014 4:17 PM
Buzzfeed published 22 questions and statements from Creationists; here's some responses from a science reporter.
- Beware The Facebook Blizzard Hype
February 05 2014 1:42 PM
Alarming weather maps have been going viral on social media, with a lack of context fueling fear.
- Imagine Trying To Create The Coldest Spot In The Universe
February 05 2014 7:50 AM
The Cold Atom Laboratory will be investigating the quantum world by dropping the temperature way, way down.
- Cows Make More Milk After Giving Birth To Daughters: Study
February 04 2014 3:31 PM
Mama cows produce more milk when they're pregnant with daughters, a study finds.
- Heroin Strain Implicated In Hoffman Death May Be Behind Rash Of ODs
February 03 2014 5:40 PM
The painkiller fentanyl, sometimes mixed with heroin, has been implicated in a spate of fatal overdoses from Rhode Island to Pennsylvania.
- Pregnancy Colds May Up Child's Asthma Risk: Study
February 03 2014 3:44 PM
What to expect if you're sick while expecting: higher risks for breathing problems in your child.
- Winter Storm Kicks Off Snowy Start To February
February 03 2014 12:11 PM
Snow arrives on the East Coast the day after Punxsutawney Phil predicted an additional six weeks of winter.
- Watch Your Back, Siri
January 31 2014 5:23 PM
Intel is working on a new kind of voice recognition device that, unlike Apple's Siri, functions offline.
- Love At First Sniff: How Scent Figures Into Romance
January 31 2014 3:06 PM
The science behind romance and odor, in humans and animals.
- Monarch Migration Dips, FAA Nixes Drone-Delivered Beer: The Week In Science
January 31 2014 11:51 AM
Fewer and fewer monarchs are making the trek to wintering ground in Mexico.
- Neanderthal Genetic Legacy In Humans Seems To Be A Mixed Bag
January 29 2014 3:51 PM
Interbreeding with Neanderthals seems to have conferred advantages -- and some and drawbacks -- to early humans.
- Why President Obama Is Pushing For High-Tech Manufacturing Hubs
January 29 2014 12:45 PM
One of the highlights of the president's address Tuesday was a 3-D printing hub in Youngstown, Ohio.
- Super Bowl Science For Gridiron Nerds
January 29 2014 9:59 AM
What could be more exciting than the savage ballet that is pro football? Adding science to it!