Articles by Roxanne Palmer
- Watch A Caterpillar Use Bad Breath As A Defense Against Spiders [VIDEOS]
December 31 2013 7:09 AM
Caterpillars co-opt the nicotine in tobacco plants for their own defense, researchers found.
- 13 Cool New Species Discovered In 2013
December 30 2013 2:12 PM
Each year, scientists still find previously undiscovered animals and plants -- here's some of our favorites from 2013.
- 10 Amazing Scientific Discoveries In 2013
December 28 2013 11:13 AM
Why a reindeer's eyes change color with the seasons, and other mysteries scientists explored this year.
- Glowing Pigs, Robot Muscles: The Week In Science
December 28 2013 11:08 AM
Glowing pigs created to aid in hemophilia research; robot muscle created that shames puny human muscle.
- The 10 Best Space Photos Of 2013
December 27 2013 12:39 PM
Space - the final frontier - is more than ready for its close-up.
- Study Backs Letting Patients' Families Visit After-Hours
December 27 2013 9:04 AM
Removing restrictions on when hospital patients can receive visitors turns out to be a boon, according to a recent study.
- 7 Scientific Scandals, Arguments, Controversies In 2013
December 26 2013 8:19 PM
The level of contentious intrigue in science pales in comparison to politics, but it's still there.
- 40 Years Of The Endangered Species Act: What's The Score?
December 26 2013 1:23 PM
Here's a review of the last four decades of the U.S.'s landmark environmental legislation.
- Top 10 Inventions Of 2013 [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
December 24 2013 3:28 PM
Our picks for the top 10 innovative ideas of this year, from lion-scaring lights to cancer-sniffing computer programs.
- Fuel From Algae In One Hour Or Less
December 24 2013 12:21 PM
How to turn algae into fuel: Simmer gently at 660 degrees Fahrenheit and 3,000 pounds per square inch.
- Peanuts During Pregnancy Won't Cause Nut Allergies In Kids
December 23 2013 5:54 PM
Munching on peanuts during pregnancy doesn't cause peanut allergies in kids, a new study shows.
- Solar Power's Growing Pains In Sunny Hawaii, Cloudy Germany
December 23 2013 2:51 PM
Homeowners are rushing to install solar panels, but utility companies say the grid can't keep up.
- The Best Nature Snapshots Of 2013 [PHOTOS]
December 21 2013 11:07 AM
From polar bears peering through Arctic waters to playful lion cubs and gorgeous sand dunes, 2013 was a good year for nature photography.
- New Japanese Island, Chatty Neanderthals: The Week In Science
December 20 2013 3:47 PM
Neanderthals could likely vocalize with the best of humans, a new analysis shows.
- Fact-Checking Santa Claus: The Awful Truth [ILLUSTRATIONS]
December 20 2013 12:21 PM
When you take a hard-nosed look at this alleged "Father Christmas," you find some holes in his story.
- 13 Science Videos That Rocked Our Socks In 2013
December 19 2013 9:17 AM
These science videos blew our minds and rocked our socks.
- Printing Eye Cells With Inkjet Technology
December 18 2013 2:55 PM
Cambridge scientists extracted rat eye cells and printed on them -- a method that could be used for retina repair in the future.
- How The US Navy Might Spin Seawater Into Jet Fuel
December 17 2013 7:44 PM
Navy researchers are working on technology to churn the sea itself into a jet-like fuel.
- New Concern For US Fracking Sites
December 17 2013 2:27 PM
Researchers found hormone-disrupting chemicals in the water near fracking sites, but industry advocates say the study stacks the deck.
- Cat Domestication Might Have Started Up In China 5,300 Years Ago
December 16 2013 4:54 PM
Cat bones dug up near the village of Quanhucun suggest little felines were living alongside people more than 5,000 years ago.