Articles by Roxanne Palmer
- A Brief History Of The Condom
March 26 2013 4:16 PM
Bill Gates is ready to shell out some big bucks for an improvement on condoms, which were once made from goat bladders.
- Arctic Sea Ice Reaches High Point (And It Isn't That High)
March 26 2013 1:19 PM
Sea ice in the Arctic has become as extensive as it's going to get this year -- and it's the sixth-lowest maximum on record.
- Shorter Shifts For Medical Residents Doesn't Necessarily Mean Better Care
March 25 2013 5:49 PM
It seems counter-intuitive, but cutting a medical intern's maximum shift length from 30 hours to 16 hours might not be best for patients.
- Why Is .08 BAC The Limit For Drinking And Driving?
March 25 2013 5:05 PM
One Irish county plans to raise the BAC limit for driving to .07 for some residents, but that's still lower than the U.S. standard.
- Yet Another Winter Storm In March
March 25 2013 12:28 PM
This cold and snow-drenched month in the Northeast and Midwest U.S. is a marked contrast to last year's "summer in March."
- Universe Ages A Little; Too Much Tea; Unsafe Space Sex
March 22 2013 6:38 PM
Here's a roundup of the latest scientific findings and phenomena, ranging from the profound to the strange.
- Diet Restriction Right Before Surgery Could Hasten Recovery
March 22 2013 4:20 PM
Both obese mice and normal mice fared better after surgery when their diets were restricted shortly before the operation.
- Greece's Economic Crisis Has Dire Health Effects
March 22 2013 2:08 PM
Heart attacks, suicidal thoughts and stillbirths rise in Greece, following the economic crisis.
- Keeping a Sundial: More Than Putting A Stick In The Ground
March 21 2013 5:46 PM
The grid could go down anytime, but making a temporally accurate sundial isn't as easy as it may seem.
- Experimental Cell Therapy For Aggressive Leukemia Is Promising
March 21 2013 5:16 PM
Patients with relapsed leukemia were treated with their own immune system cells that had new genetic material inserted.
- NASA Prepping For Mars Solar Conjunction In April
March 21 2013 11:01 AM
A Mars solar conjunction happens about once every 26 months, so this isn't NASA's first rodeo.
- Health Benefits (And Drawbacks) Of 'Supertasting'
March 20 2013 4:05 PM
“Supertasters” often experience bitter and sweet flavors more intensely and feel the burn from spicy foods more keenly.