Articles by Roxanne Palmer
- H7N9 Bird Flu Found Jumping Person To Person For First Time
August 07 2013 12:04 PM
Scientists think a 32-year-old woman caught the new bird flu strain from her father.
- 2012 One Of Top 10 Hottest Years Globally, Warmest Year For US
August 07 2013 11:29 AM
Sea levels and temperature keep rising, and Arctic sea ice continues to shrink, NOAA says.
- New Bedbug Trap Design Lures Bloodsuckers To Doom
August 06 2013 1:25 PM
Chemical lures, deeper pits and carbon dioxide bait all made traps more effective at catching bedbugs.
- Barbie's Latest Career: Mars Explorer
August 06 2013 10:49 AM
The Red Planet could use a touch of pink.
- Happy First Martian Anniversary, Curiosity Rover!
August 06 2013 5:57 AM
One year ago, Curiosity's wheels touched down on the Martian surface.
- Secret Of Sunburn Pain Revealed
August 05 2013 5:08 PM
A single molecule flips the switch that leads to reddened, itchy skin after a day at the beach.
- Invention Allows Paralyzed To Communicate With A Look
August 05 2013 12:20 PM
A new system that measures changes in pupil size allows paralyzed patients to answer simple questions.
- Icy Jets On Saturn Moon Enceladus Vary With Its Orbit
August 03 2013 7:43 PM
Ice particles spew from Enceladus more intensely when the moon is at its farthest away from Saturn.
- Polar Bear Reality Show, Genetic Genesis: The Week In Science
August 03 2013 8:00 AM
A special video-equipped collar lets you see things from the perspective of a polar bear, among other scientific happenings this week.
- Violence Rises With Warming Climate, Study Says
August 02 2013 1:08 PM
A warmer world is a more hot-blooded one, scientists say.
- Could We Turn The Desert Into A Forest To Combat Climate Change?
July 31 2013 4:10 PM
One proposed plan for controlling global warming would exploit the natural carbon-capturing qualities of trees.
- Some GMOs Are Made To Resist Disease
July 31 2013 4:07 PM
"GMO" is a broad term that covers foods modified for a lot of different reasons.
- Some Volcano Eruptions Fueled By Fast-Rising Magma
July 31 2013 2:46 PM
The eruption of the Irazu volcano in the 1960s was fueled by magma that rose 22 miles in just two months.
- Ford Rolling Out Natural Gas-Powered F-150 This Fall
July 31 2013 2:38 PM
Ford is expanding its offerings in the natural gas-powered vehicle market to the best-selling vehicle in America.
- Springblade Adidas Shoe Evokes 'Blade Runner' Cheetah Legs
July 30 2013 4:20 PM
If you've ever envied sprinter Oscar Pistorius' cool blades, a new running shoe contains a similar design element.
- Wolves Aid Bears In Yellowstone: Study
July 30 2013 12:08 PM
The reintroduction of grey wolves has been an unexpected windfall for grizzly bears.
- EPA Staffer Links Methane In Pennsylvania Water To Fracking
July 29 2013 5:03 PM
Though federal environmental officials say the water in Dimock, Pa., is safe to drink, some staffers had reservations.
- Happy 55th Birthday, NASA!
July 29 2013 3:11 PM
It's a rough road that leads to the stars, as the saying goes -- but NASA's been traveling on it for more than half a century.
- Cardboard Furniture: Everyday Industrial Materials Get A Makeover [PHOTOS]
July 29 2013 1:06 PM
Think outside the cardboard box.
- Science Vs Science Fiction: Reality Still Has A Long Way To Go
July 27 2013 8:14 PM
The wondrous technological marvels of science fiction are still a long ways away.