- The Security Council authorized an African-led force to help Mali’s government recapture the northern part of the country from rebels.
- Ajmal Kasab, the only militant to have survived the Nov. 26, 2008, Mumbai terror attack, was hanged Wednesday morning.
- The United Nations failed to protect the civilians in the last months of the civil war in Sri Lanka which ended in May in 2009, says a leaked draft report of an internal review which looked into how the global body handled the situation.
- Gurcharan Das, the acclaimed author of “India Grows at Night,” believes India may have reached the limits of growth under poor governance and weak institutions.
- The space shuttle Endeavour completed its final voyage when it landed at the Los Angeles International Airport Friday after flying piggyback on a modified Boeing 747 over some of the landmarks in California, thrilling thousands of onlookers most of who were recording the once-in-a-life time experience on their still and video cameras
- A Russian Soyuz capsule carrying U.S. astronaut Joseph Acaba and Russian cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Sergei Revin landed on the Kazakh steppe at 8:53 local time (0253 GMT) Monday.
- Chicago's teachers union said Sunday night more than 29,000 teachers and support staff would go on strike Monday for the first time in 25 years after contract talks with the school board failed.
- Thousands of visitors to the Angeles National Forest in California were evacuated when a wildfire broke out in the East Fork San Gabriel Canyon off State Route 39 Sunday.
Neil Armstrong: Aldrin, Collins And Other Space Heroes Join His Relatives In Memorial Service (PHOTOS)Friends, relatives and fellow astronauts attended a private memorial service for Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, at the Camargo Club in Cincinnati Friday.
Imperial County Rocked By Series Of Earthquakes; More Temblors Likely, Many Schools To Remain Closed MondayA series of over 100 moderate earthquakes rocked southeastern California Sunday, causing minor damage to houses in Imperial County and neighboring counties. No loss of life or injury was reported.
- An explosion caused by a gas leak at Venezuela's biggest oil refinery in Amuay Saturday morning killed at least seven people and injured 48 others.
- At least 32 passengers died and over 20 others injured as fire broke out in one of the coaches of the New Delhi-Chennai Tamil Nadu Express near Nellore in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh Monday morning.
- NASA astronaut Sunita Williams along with Russian cosmonaut Yury Malenchenko and Japan's Akihito Hoshide departed for the International Space Station on a Russian Soyuz from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan Sunday morning.
- This week, leaders from India and the United States will gather in Washington to discuss our expanding cooperation on everything from trade to technology to terrorism. There also will be issues on which we don't see eye to eye, and some of those may dominate the media coverage.
- Cellular therapies will change the landscape of treatment options for heart disease patients, making them economical for all classes of society, says eminent Indian American Heart Surgeon Dr Mukesh Hariawala.
- Police Saturday night arrested dozens of Occupy Wall Street protesters who assembled in New York's Zuccotti Park to mark the six-month anniversary of the movement.