Articles by Shankar besta
- Worker dies at Japan’s tsunami-hit nuclear plant
May 14 2011 2:01 AM
A contract worker, 60, died after a fall at the facility’s waste disposal building, the operator of Japan's tsunami-wrecked nuclear power plant said.
- NASA finalizes payloads for reduced-gravity flights
May 14 2011 12:44 AM
Sixteen payloads have been selected by NASA for flights in the commercial Zero-G parabolic aircraft and two suborbital reusable launch vehicles as part of the Flight Opportunities Program.
- Arrested Mubarak’s wife faints, hospitalized
May 14 2011 12:41 AM
Suzanne Mubarak, wife of former President Hosni Mubarak, was hospitalized Friday, hours after she was detained on corruption charges for 15 days.
- White House backs off on recognizing Libyan rebel council
May 14 2011 12:36 AM
The Libyan rebels met with U.S. officials at the White House on Friday, but the delegation failed to get recognition as the sole council to take over power.
- Android market operational in 131 countries, losing business in China
May 13 2011 8:52 AM
Google, in a report, has declared the Android market has spread globally in 131 countries. The list, however, does not include China, Greenland and some war-affected countries
- EU decides to temporarily terminate Schengen policy, restrict free travel
May 13 2011 8:49 AM
The European Union (EU) has decided to stop its free travel policy across the continent in the midst of fears of migrants fleeing Africa due to the unrest.
- Gamera takes off but fails to bag Sikorsky Prize
May 13 2011 8:28 AM
The Gamera, the first human powered copter, designed by the students of University of Maryland, finally took off for nearly four seconds late Thursday afternoon, reports said.
- Digital music sales hit £1 billion in UK
May 13 2011 8:15 AM
Total digital music sales in the UK have hit £1 billion barrier for the first time since the launch of legal online music service in 2004.
- Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales dismisses US privacy laws
May 13 2011 8:13 AM
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales has dismissed the current privacy law in U.S as a ‘violation of human rights’, responding to the debate on super-injunctions.
- Open-air funeral for Spain's quake victims
May 13 2011 7:07 AM
Spain is preparing to hold an open-air funeral Mass for the four victims of the two earthquakes which had shaken the southern town of Lorca on Wednesday.
- Hamas sending signals of reunity
May 13 2011 7:05 AM
Hamas, the Islamist group is sending hints of restraint as it joins hand with Fatah to form a Palestinian unity government.
- Qatar backs off on GCC-brokered Yemen peace initiative
May 13 2011 4:17 AM
Qatar decided to exit the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)-brokered initiative to resolve the crisis in Yemen due to the delay of Yemeni President in signing of deal, Xinhua reported Qatar News Agency as saying.
- Mubarak's detention extended for 15 days
May 13 2011 3:28 AM
Egypt's authorities have extended the detention of former President Hosni Mubarak for another 15 days.
- No shooting on Syrian pro-democracy protesters today: Assad
May 13 2011 1:06 AM
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has ordered troops not to fire on pro-democracy protesters on Friday, the day of prayer for Muslims.
- EUR/NOK falls after rate hike by Norgesbank
May 12 2011 10:16 AM
The Norwegian crown gained against the euro on Thursday, following an interest rate hike by the Norgesbank.
- EUR/USD hits six-week low, after industrial output drops
May 12 2011 7:59 AM
The euro fell to a six-week low against the dollar on Thursday, after a report showed that industrial production in the eurozone fell unexpectedly in March, its first in six months.
- EUR/USD extends losses after US trade data
May 11 2011 10:29 AM
The euro widened its losses against the dollar on Wednesday, after a report showed that US trade deficit widened more-than-expected in March.
- EUR/USD dips after less hawkish Trichet’s comments
May 05 2011 9:56 AM
The euro fell against the dollar on Thursday, after the European Central Bank’s (ECB) President Jean-Claude Trichet comments showed less hawkish tone than the markets had expected.
- EUR/JPY at 8-day high, after S&P downgrade of Japan
April 27 2011 10:08 AM
The euro climbed to a 8-day high against the Japanese yen, after Standard & Poor's cut its outlook for Japan's sovereign debt rating to ‘negative’ from stable.
- USD/CAD extends fall ahead of FOMC meeting
April 26 2011 10:01 AM
The Canadian dollar extended its gains against the US dollar on Tuesday, as the greenback remained shaky ahead of two-day meeting of FOMC.