- GBP/USD hits 5-day low as UK inflation posts surprise fall
April 12 2011 7:51 AM
The British pound extended its losses against the US dollar on Tuesday, after a report showed the consumer prices in UK fell unexpectedly in March, dampening expectations over the interest rate hike by the Bank of England (BoE) in the near term.
- UK inflation drops in March, first time in 8 months; sterling too falls
April 12 2011 6:52 AM
Consumer prices in Britain slowed for the first time in eight months in March, dampening expectations over interest rate hike by the Bank of England in the near term.
- The ECB shouldn’t rush to tighten monetary policy: IMF
April 12 2011 5:56 AM
The European Central Bank (ECB) should not rush to hike interest rates and allow the banking system in the eurozone to repair itself without the hurting the region’s recovery, said the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on Monday.
- Go long on EUR/USD this week as inflation remains key: report
April 11 2011 10:30 AM
Barclays Capital on Monday recommended taking a long position on EUR/USD this week, as the inflation reports in the eurozone are likely to boost the expectations over another interest rate hike by the European Central Bank (ECB) in the coming months.
- Russian rouble reaches its highest since Dec. 2008 against the US dollar
April 11 2011 8:38 AM
The Russian rouble continued to gain against the US dollar on Monday, supported by rising oil prices and positive stock markets.
- Yen rebounds against dollar, euro after new earthquake
April 11 2011 5:48 AM
The Japanese yen rebounded against the dollar and euro, after another major earthquake hit the northeast of Japan on Monday, the third in just a month.
- USD/CAD rebounds after Canadian jobs data
April 08 2011 10:03 AM
The US dollar rebounded from a multi-year low against the Canadian dollar on Friday, after a report showed the number of employed people in Canada fell unexpectedly in March.
- GBP/USD at 15-month high after PPI data
April 08 2011 10:02 AM
The British pound extended gains against the dollar on Friday, after a report showed that producer prices in UK rose more than expected in March, strengthening the expectations over interest rate hike.
- Euro strengthens to fresh highs against dollar and yen
April 08 2011 4:28 AM
The euro strengthened to fresh highs against the US dollar and Japanese yen on Friday, as expectations of another rate hike by the European Central Bank (ECB) in the coming months supported the single currency.
- Oil prices plunge after Japan’s second massive earthquake
April 07 2011 11:21 AM
Crude oil prices slipped on Thursday, after reports of another earthquake hitting Japan.
- USD/CAD slips to multi-year low, as oil prices rise
April 07 2011 11:20 AM
The Canadian dollar rose to its highest level in more than three years against the US dollar, as crude oil, the nation’s major export, climbed to 30-month high, lending support to the commodity-linked currency.
- US Initial jobless claims fell more than expected last week
April 07 2011 9:04 AM
The applications for jobless benefits in the U.S. fell more than expected last week, recording a second consecutive weekly decline.
- German industrial production rose sharply in Feb.
April 07 2011 7:00 AM
German industrial production rose more-than-expected in February, mainly led by a strong increase in building industry output.
- EUR/USD slips from 14-month high ahead of ECB rate decision
April 07 2011 4:42 AM
The euro eased off from a 14-month high against the U.S. dollar on Thursday, as investors started booking profits ahead of interest rate decision by the European Central Bank (ECB).
- 8,200 Indians have wealth worth $945 billion: report
April 06 2011 10:45 AM
Wealth-X estimates that there are 8,200 Indians (including Non-Resident Indians) worth more than $30 million with an aggregate net worth of $945 billion
- Toyota sells a million Prius hybrids in the US
April 06 2011 8:59 AM
Toyota Motors on Wednesday announced that it has sold a million units of its hybrid gas-electric vehicle, Prius, in the United States.
- US mortgage demand fell for second straight week
April 06 2011 8:04 AM
Mortgage applications in the U.S. fell for a second straight week ended April 1., despite mortgage interest rates remaining flat.
- USD/CHF slides as Swiss inflation jumps
April 06 2011 7:19 AM
The dollar fell to a 4-day low against the Swiss franc on Tuesday, after a report showed consumer prices in Switzerland rose more-than-expected in March, giving raise to expectations that Swiss central bank may follow the European Central Bank (ECB) in monetary tightening.
- German factory orders rose sharply in Feb.
April 06 2011 6:41 AM
German factory orders surged in February, mainly boosted by strong domestic demand.
- Yen hits fresh lows against major counterparts
April 06 2011 5:31 AM
Japanese yen continued to decline against its major counterparts on Wednesday, amid speculation that the Bank of Japan (BoJ) will lag behind in raising the key interest rates compared to other major nations.