Articles by Shankar besta
- Dollar gains after China’s surprise rate hike
April 05 2011 9:00 AM
The US dollar rose against its major counterparts on Tuesday, after China’s central bank surprised the markets by raising interest rates for the fourth time since October last year, which weighed on Australian dollar and euro.
- EUR/GBP widens losses on strong UK data, Moody’s downgrade
April 05 2011 7:38 AM
The euro fell to an 8-day low against the British pound, after a report showed that the U.K. services sector activity rose sharply in March, renewing speculations over interest rate hike in the near term.
- Eurozone retail sales fell unexpectedly in Feb.
April 05 2011 6:02 AM
Retail sales in eurozone fell unexpectedly in February, as consumers curtailed spending amid rising prices. The volume of retail trade in the 17-nation eurozone dropped 0.1 percent in February compared with 0.2 percent increase in January, the Eurostat said on Tuesday.
- AUD/USD eases off from record high as trade balance turns deficit
April 05 2011 4:56 AM
The Australian dollar fell from a record high against the US dollar on Tuesday, after official data showed that the country unexpectedly recorded a trade deficit in February, it’s first in almost a year.
- US nonfarm payrolls gain more than expected, unemployment rate dips
April 01 2011 8:57 AM
The number of people employed in the non-farming businesses in the US rose more than expected in March, showing that economic recovery in the nation is on track.
- Japanese yen drops to 10-month low against euro
April 01 2011 7:47 AM
The Japanese yen dropped against its major counterparts on Friday, amid growing demand for higher-yielding assets, spurred by the speculation that global economic growth will be robust.
- Eurozone unemployment rate dips in Feb.
April 01 2011 6:21 AM
The number of unemployed people in eurozone fell in February, after remaining unchanged in the past two months.
- Oil prices above $107 as Libya fighting intensifies
April 01 2011 3:54 AM
Oil prices rose above $107 on Friday in Asia, amid concerns that escalating fighting between the rebels and Moammar Gadhafi’s forces in Libya would lead to disruption of oil exports from the OPEC nation for longer than expected.
- US private sector employment rose by 201,000 in March: ADP
March 30 2011 9:41 AM
Private sector employment in the US rose in March, indicating improved labor conditions. U.S. nonfarm employment increased by 201,000 in March compared with downwardly revised figure of 208,000 jobs in February, ADP report showed on Wednesday.
- US mortgage applications fell last week
March 30 2011 8:21 AM
Mortgage applications in the U.S. fell in the week ended March. 25, following an sharp increase in mortgage interest rates.
- Australian dollar hits 29-year high against the greenback
March 30 2011 4:03 AM
The Australian rose to a 29-year high against the US dollar on Wednesday in Asian trading, as risk appetite strengthened for the commodities-backed currency.
- Euro gains against major counterparts as rate hike expectations rise
March 29 2011 6:36 AM
The euro gained against its major counterparts on Tuesday, amid heightened expectations over the interest rate hike next month by the European Central Bank (ECB).
- UK economy contracted less than estimated in fourth quarter
March 29 2011 5:36 AM
The UK economy contracted less than previously estimated in the fourth quarter last year, as services and manufacturing output was revised higher.
- Oil prices slip towards $103 as traders eye Libya
March 29 2011 5:08 AM
Crude prices traded below $104 a barrel on Tuesday in Asia as Libyan rebels announced resumption of oil exports from the sites controlled by them.
- US pending home sales rebound sharply
March 28 2011 10:27 AM
Pending home sales in the US rebounded sharply in February, after showing a decline in the previous two months.
- US personal spending rose more than expected in Feb.
March 28 2011 9:36 AM
Personal spending in the US rose more than expected in February while income increased less than expected, indicating that the average consumer is growing more confident about the economic recovery.
- Oil prices slip as Libyan rebels plan restart of exports
March 28 2011 8:18 AM
Crude oil futures slipped on Monday as Libyan rebels disclosed plans of oil exports from the key oil towns captured by them over the weekend.
- British pound tumbles to 7-week low as US recovery accelerates
March 28 2011 6:48 AM
The British pound fell for a fourth straight day against the dollar on Monday, plummeting to a 7-week low as US economy grew more than previously estimated in the last quarter of 2010 and markets pared back speculation over interest rate hike by the Bank of England (BoE).
- Yen slips to 10-day low against the greenback
March 28 2011 4:30 AM
The Japanese yen slipped to a 10-day low against the dollar on Monday in Asian trading, following an upward revision to the US economic growth in the last quarter of 2010.
- Initial jobless claims fell more than expected last week
March 24 2011 9:11 AM
The applications for jobless benefits in the U.S. fell more than expected last week, recording a drop for a second consecutive week.