- Child Bride Practice Rising In Iran, Parliament Seeks To Lower Girl's Legal Marriage Age To 9
August 30 2012 4:30 PM
Hundreds of girls below the age of 10 each year are forced into marriage in Iran, and the trend is experiencing a dramatic increase. This alarming statistics was accompanied by an official statement from the Iranian parliament's legal affairs committee that Iran will push to legalize marriage for girls of merely 9 years old.
- Asylum-Seekers Seeking To Reach Australia Drown Off Coast Of Indonesia
August 30 2012 12:46 PM
On Wednesday, another unseaworthy boat with more than 150 asylum-seekers sunk to the bottom of the sea off Indonesia while seeking asylum in Australia. A continuing massive search and rescue operation has plucked 55 survivors out of the sea, but more are still missing as critical hours just ended.
- Desmond Tutu Refuses To Share Stage With Tony Blair Over Iraq War
August 28 2012 4:47 PM
Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize-winning archbishop who was renowned for his opposition to the Apartheid regime, refused to attend a summit with the former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, because of Blair's decision to support the Iraq War.
- China To Spend $372 Billion To Reduce Pollution, Encourage Energy Efficiency
August 28 2012 4:05 PM
China estimates a total national investment of 372 billion USD to be spent in the next three and a half years on improving energy efficiency, strengthening pollution control and expanding recycling economy.
- Egypt's Morsi Orders Release Of Journalist Accused Of Slander, But Charges Not Dropped
August 24 2012 4:53 PM
Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi ordered the release of a journalist who was jailed for insulting him and used his self-declared legislative authority for the first time Thursday to protect journalists' freedom of press.
- Muslim Terrorist Group Threatened Norway With 9-11 Type Attack Just Prior To Breivik Conviction
August 24 2012 4:11 PM
Norwegian news portal VG Nett reported Muslim extremist terrorist group Ansar al-Sunna has threatened the Norwegian government with an attack similar to 9-11.
- North Korea And Iran, Two-Thirds Of George W. Bush's 'Axis of Evil,' To Meet In Tehran At NAM Summit
August 24 2012 2:31 PM
As North Korea's figurehead of state visits Iran for the Non-Aligned Movement summit from Aug. 26 to Aug. 31, the U.N. and the U.S. will be paying close attention to the development of these two nations' relationship.
- Vietnam: Arrest Of Banking Tycoon Sparks Panic Withdrawals By Customers
August 23 2012 5:07 PM
Nguyen Duc Kien, one of the richest tycoons in Vietnam's banking industry, has been arrested for conducting "illegal business," prompting fears among customers who have withdrawn hundreds of millions of dollars since the news broke out on Monday.
- Sardinia's Secret To Longevity: Genetics, Diet and Lifestyle
August 23 2012 1:55 PM
Sardinia has the world's highest concentration of centenarians and super-centenarians because of good genetics, healthy diet and active lifestyle.
- President Of Liberia Determined To Fight Corruption, Suspends Her Own Son
August 21 2012 4:28 PM
President of Liberia, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, has suspended her own son from the post of central bank deputy governor for failure to declare his assets to the anti-corruption commission, her office said.
- Shanghai Unprepared For Flooding: China?s Rapid Expansion Outpaces Safety and Environmental Concerns
August 21 2012 2:40 PM
Beijing's flood disaster in July was viewed by many as proof that Chinese cities are ill-prepared for such catastrophes.
- India Temporarily Bans Mass Texting After Rumors Of Ethhic Violence Spark Exodus
August 17 2012 5:53 PM
India bans mass texting service to contain the spread of false rumors regarding potential attacks based on ethnic conflicts, hoping to stanch an exodus from Bangalore and calm widespread panic.
- Norway Names New Police Boss After Prior Chief Resigns Over Criticism Of Breivik Probe
August 17 2012 3:44 PM
Norway Chief of Police, Oystein Maeland, stepped down Thursday after a state-issued report harshly criticized the police's response during the 2011 Breivik Massacre that left 77 people dead.
- South Africa Explodes: 34 Dead, 78 Wounded At Platinum Mine Confrontation
August 17 2012 1:10 PM
34 miners have been killed and another 78 wounded during the Thursday clash between striking miners and police officers at a platinum mine.
- Death Of Ethiopian Orthodox Church Patriarch Highlights Christianity's Long Presence In African Nation
August 16 2012 4:29 PM
The Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Abune Paulos, died on Wednesday aged 76.
- 60 Miners Killed In Congo Gold Mine; Dying For Illegal Riches In Poverty-Stricken State
August 16 2012 1:39 PM
At least 60 miners have been killed by a landslide in a remote gold mine in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Mob Justice In Bolivia: Two Brazilian Murder Suspects Burned Alive
August 16 2012 11:19 AM
A mob of 400 angry Bolivian civilians dragged two Brazilian men from a local prison, and burnt them alive in the street after beating them.
- Australian Airlines' Seating Policy To Protect Children Alienates And Stigmatizes Adults
August 14 2012 4:53 PM
Qantas and Virgin Australia Airlines have recently been criticized for their seating policy, which prohibits adult men from sitting next to unaccompanied minors.
- Japan And North Korea To Hold First Talks In Four Years To Discuss 'Unfortunate Past'
August 14 2012 2:09 PM
Japan and North Korea are to hold their first governmental-level talk for the first time in four years on Aug. 29, the Japanese government announced.
- Taiwan And Japan: Two Nations With Long History Stuck In Limbo
August 14 2012 9:57 AM
Taiwan and Japan have an awkward relationship that is compromised and complicated by various intractable issues - namely, Mainland China, which claims Taiwan as its own territory and has compelled most nations of the earth to deny diplomatic recognition of the island.