Articles by Zoe Mintz
- 7,000-Year-Old Man Had Dark Skin And Blue Eyes
January 27 2014 11:49 AM
DNA taken from the remains of a 7,000-year-old European hunter-gatherer reveals he most likely had dark skin and blue eyes.
- World’s Oldest Cancer Originated In Dog 11,000 Years Ago
January 24 2014 2:04 PM
Scientists have sequenced the genome of the world's oldest continuously surviving cancer, a transmissible genital cancer that affects dogs.
- Is Vitamin D The ‘Sunshine’ Supplement? Study Finds Healthy People Are 'Unlikely' To Benefit
January 24 2014 11:01 AM
A new study suggests vitamin D does not play a serious role in reducing the risk of diseases or fractures.
- What Keeps Animals Warm? Insulating Power Of Fur And Feathers Points To Heat Radiation
January 23 2014 4:32 PM
A new study suggests that radiative heat plays a role in keeping animals warm, which may lead to new developments in building insulation technology.
- How Old Is Adam? Scientists Claim Earliest Male Ancestor Emerged 209,000 Years Ago
January 23 2014 3:26 PM
A new study says humanity's most recent common male ancestor emerged 9,000 years earlier than previously thought.
- 11-Foot Giant Squid Caught By Japanese Fishermen
January 23 2014 2:19 PM
The latest catch follows three other giant squids caught off the coast of Japan in recent months.
- New River Dolphin Species Discovered For First Time In 100 Years
January 23 2014 10:42 AM
Scientists in Brazil have identified a new river dolphin species found in the Araguaia river basin.
- Water Plumes Discovered On Asteroid Ceres
January 22 2014 3:53 PM
Data collected from the Herschel Space Observatory shows water plumes on the largest body in the asteroid belt, the dwarf planet Ceres.
- Ancient Dolphin Fossil Found In New Zealand
January 22 2014 3:14 PM
An extinct dolphin species was identified thanks to fossils found in New Zealand's South Island.
- Two Childbirth Deaths In A Month At Boston Hospital Spark State Investigation
January 22 2014 1:12 PM
The Massachusetts public health department is investigating the deaths at South Shore Hospital.
- The Next Big Thing: Robots With E-Whiskers
January 22 2014 10:09 AM
Electronic whiskers developed by Berkeley Lab and Berkeley researchers help robots "see" and "feel" their surroundings.
- Wild Beaver Caught On Camera In England, ‘Fantastic’ Discovery Made In The River Otter [PHOTO]
January 21 2014 4:10 PM
An environmental scientist captured images of a wild beaver in Devon, England, believed to have been hunted to extinction in the 12th century.
- Night-Shift Work Causes ‘Chrono-Chaos,’ Irregular Sleep Patterns May Pose Long-Term Health Risks
January 21 2014 11:59 AM
A new study suggests irregular sleep patterns caused by shift work and jet lag disrupts the rhythm of genes, posing long-term health concerns.
- 25 Inspirational Sayings To Share On Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 20 2014 10:31 AM
Thousands across the nation will attend church services, tributes and service projects to honor Rev. Dr Martin Luther King Jr.'s memory on January 20, a federal holiday.
- Dogs And Wolves Evolved From Common Ancestor, New Study Suggests
January 17 2014 11:51 AM
The findings indicate that the origin of domesticated dogs is more complicated than the commonly held belief.
- Polar Bear Cubs Open Eyes For First Time, See Their Mother
January 16 2014 3:37 PM
Twin polar bear cubs born last month at Munich's Hellabrun Zoo were filmed opening their eyes for their first time.
- Kangaroo Drawing In Portuguese Manuscript May Rewrite Australia’s History
January 16 2014 2:03 PM
A drawing of a kangaroo in a 16th century prayer book suggests Portuguese explorers may have been the first to discover Australia.
- More Than 5,900 Gas Leaks Found In Washington, D.C.
January 16 2014 11:06 AM
Researchers have found thousands of natural gas leaks under the streets of Washington, D.C.
- New Pharaoh Discovered In Egypt, King Seneb Kay Had ‘The Longest Rule’ Of His Time
January 15 2014 3:04 PM
The remains, which date back to about 1650 B.C., were discovered near the southern city of Sohag.
- ‘Magnetic’ Fishing Net To Catch Space Junk?
January 15 2014 12:50 PM
Find out who's about to test a new space-cleanup system.