Articles by Zoe Mintz
- Eagle Vs. Deer Photos Show Rare Attack On Sika Deer
September 24 2013 9:54 AM
Images captured by a stationary camera in a state park in the Russian Far East show a golden eagle attacking a sika deer.
- Oceanic Black Holes Defined By Mathematical Technique
September 23 2013 4:07 PM
Some of the ocean's largest eddies are mathematically equivalent to the mysterious black holes of space, according to a new paper published in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- Third Radiation Ring Around Earth Explained
September 23 2013 12:59 PM
A third radiation ring around Earth discovered last September had different physical processes than the two known belts.
- Universal Flu Vaccine ‘Blueprint’ Discovered
September 23 2013 10:51 AM
A new study shows how scientists used the 2009 pandemic as a “natural experiment” to discover how the body’s immune system builds resistance to the flu.
- 92-Year-Old WWII Vet Buys Back Home From Daughter Who Evicted Him
September 20 2013 3:33 PM
A 92-year-old World War II veteran, who was given an eviction notice by his daughter, will not lose his home thanks to nearly $140,000 raised online.
- Goldfish Found Alive After 21 Months In Pond After Fire
September 20 2013 2:23 PM
For 21 months, Smokey the goldfish somehow survived in a covered-over pond with no sunlight and no obvious source of aeration.
- 2-Foot Blood Clot ‘Vacuumed’ Out Of Patient
September 20 2013 1:01 PM
Doctors from Los Angeles’ Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center successfully vacuumed a 2-foot blood clot out of a patient's heart on Aug. 14.
- Largest Deep Earthquake Ever Recorded Confirmed
September 20 2013 10:30 AM
A 8.3 magnitude earthquake that struck the Sea of Okhotsk last May has seismologists wondering how the massive earthquake could take place nearly 400 miles below the water’s surface.
- British Drivers Can Pay For Parking With Chestnuts
September 19 2013 4:43 PM
Three parking lots in Leeds and Manchester have started a program where drivers can pay for their spots with chestnuts – dark brown seeds that fall off horse chestnut trees during the fall.
- Rare Bumblebees Found On Mount Hood
September 19 2013 3:13 PM
Western Bumblebees, once-common pollinators in the West that mysteriously disappeared 15 years ago, has resurfaced on Oregon's Mount Hood.
- 19-Year-Old Dairy Queen Employee Gives Blind Man $20 In Viral Act Of Kindness
September 19 2013 1:48 PM
When Joey Prusak saw an old lady steal $20 from a blind man, he did what he thought was right.
- 40-Million-Year-Old ‘Walking Whale’ Fossil Discovered In Peru
September 19 2013 11:28 AM
Found in the Ocucaje Desert in southern Peru, the fossils belong to a group called Achaeocetes, or ancient whales, that possess both land- and sea-dwelling characteristics.
- Genomic ‘Dark Matter’ Origins Discovered
September 18 2013 3:41 PM
In a new study published in the journal Nature, researchers found that dark matter originates in the same kind of locations as coding RNA along the human genome.
- Sukkot 2013: 5 Facts You Need To Know
September 18 2013 12:48 PM
The Jewish holiday of Sukkot will begin at sundown on Wednesday, Sept. 18, and end at nightfall, Sept. 25.
- 4 New Legless-Lizard Species Discovered In California
September 18 2013 10:03 AM
Four new species of legless lizards have been uncovered in four of California’s most unassuming locations.
- 3,000-Year-Old Mummy Sarcophagus Restored With Lego
September 17 2013 4:38 PM
The Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge used Lego to repair the 13th century Egyptian cartonnage mummy case of Hor, an ancient Egyptian king.
- Doctor Regenerates Jockey’s Finger After Horse Bite
September 17 2013 2:31 PM
A Florida doctor used a novel technique to grow back a man's finger after it had been bitten off.
- Researchers Find Location Of Human Imagination
September 17 2013 11:43 AM
In a recent study conducted by researchers at Dartmouth, scientists discovered where the brain’s “mental workspace" – a neural network that manipulates images, symbols, and other mental constructs – is located.
- 8-Year-Old Boy Writes Santa To Make Kids Stop Bullying His Twin Sister
September 17 2013 9:33 AM
In a letter he penned to Santa, 8-year-old Ryan Suffern says his Christmas wish is to have kids stop teasing his twin sister at school.
- Stella The Dog Brought Back To Life By Santa Monica Firefighters
September 16 2013 4:10 PM
The boxer from Santa Monica, Calif., was trapped inside a burning building when firefighters found her and resuscitated her with oxygen.