The entire world is waiting with bated breath for the birth of Duchess Kate Middleton and Prince William's first child. Everyone, apparently, except the Duke of Cambridge himself. A new report is now claiming that the royal may not be present for the baby's birth, which is rumored to occur as early as this week.
So what's the reason behind Prince William’s rumored lack of appearance during his wife’s labor? A polo match, of course. People magazine reported Tuesday that the expectant father is scheduled to attend a polo match with his brother, Prince Harry, 28, on Sunday, one day after Middleton’s anticipated due date of July 13. But the appearance isn’t all fun and games -- Prince William, 31, was offered the invitation in an effort to raise money for two local charities.
While the royal’s attendance is expected at the event in Gloucestershire, a source said that he'll cancel his appearance if 31-year-old Middleton goes into labor. “Clearly, if the Duchess gives birth before, he won’t be there,” the source said. The polo game will be held in Cirencester, about 100 miles west of St Mary’s hospital in London, where Middleton plans to deliver her baby.
While the royal couple has kept quiet on the child’s gender and potential names, it was confirmed by the Daily Mail earlier this week that a proclamation, signed by doctors, will be displayed for public consumption at Buckingham Palace, mere minutes after Middleton delivers. The announcement, which will be displayed on an easel, was the same method used to announce Prince William’s birth in 1982.