A Sacramento resident has passed away after eating ground turkey that was linked to an outbreak of salmonella food poisoning.
The recent outbreak has made at least 76 people sick across 26 states in United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.
The California Department of Public Health said the death was one of two reported cases in Sacramento County.
According to CDC the outbreak victims age range goes from an infant to an 88-year-old.
Elders, infants, and those with weak immune systems are more vulnerable to acquire a serious illness from Salmonella infection.
Among 76 victims 22 have been hospitalized. The cases were associated with fresh and frozen ground turkey, the CDC said.
Officials have yet to announce which retailers sold those poisoned turkey meat.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service has not called for a product recall yet due to a lack of data.
However, the department issued an alert regarding the outbreak and advised consumers to completely cook meat before consuming it.
The CDC says that around one in six people in the United States are affected by eating tainted food annually. Foodborne diseases kill roughly 3,000 people every year.
People infected with Salmonella bacteria often suffer bouts of diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after exposure. The symptoms typically last from four days to one week and majority of patients recover without treatment.