Korean giant Samsung's impressive offering, the Galaxy S2, has already witnessed its own share of considerable appreciation after its launch last year in the Android smartphone arena. And now it's time for its successor, the most-anticipated Android device of the year - the Samsung Galaxy S3. Tech maniacs, whether they are anonymous sources of information or leaked images, have kept the rumor mills churning about the upcoming device, However, this time, Samsung itself has squashed the rumors and spoken about its next gen device to provide some information for awaiting fans.
Staying tightlipped about other anticipated features of the S3, Samsung confirmed in a recent report by Engadget that the upcoming phone will not feature any 3D technology.
In a written statement to Engadget, Samsung Electronics was quoted saying, Although Samsung Electronics is constantly exploring new technologies for our mobile devices, we have no immediate plan to include displays featuring 3D technology in our upcoming smartphones.
Industry analysts say that by not sporting a 3D technology in their next smartphone, Samsung has made an intelligent decision. The 3D technology has not met with any success and is still struggling with basic functionality and visual graphic issues, if we look at the records of the past 3D-backed smartphones. According to media reports in Technobuffalo, The HTC EVO 3D, which was actually launched with some really great specifications, seemingly failed simply because it had 3D technology. Back in January, the SIM-free device was reduced to just over approximately $317 at ASDA stores throughout the UK, which is a great price for a smartphone of this caliber.
So before climbing the 3D bandwagon, it would be important for the smartphone manufacturers to first finetune the operational issues of this technology and then load the devices with it. Adopting a no 3D technology seems to be a wise decision taken by Samsung for the Galaxy S3.
Continue Reading Below
So are you happy with Samsung's decision of not giving in to the 3D technology and will the Samsung Galaxy S3 still be your next phone upgrade when it hits marketshelves? Take a look at the rumor roundup of the other updated specifications and features of the next generation smartphone by Samsung.
Processor: The new phone is expected to be powered by Samsung's 1.5 GHz Exynos quad-core chip accompanied by 2GB RAM to keep the things running smoothly. Further it is also rumored to feature an expandable memory option up to 32 GB.
Display: At the same time, the Galaxy S3 version is expected to have a 4.6-inch Super AMOLED Plus HD screen, with 1280 x 760 pixels of resolutions with a pixel density of 313 PPI. Now, the smartphone has been confirmed not to feature any 3D technology, however, rumor has it that the S3 would sport a strong Gorilla Glass feature.
12 MP Camera: The camera upgrade is rumored to be a big one with 12-megapixels with a 1080p video at 60 frames per second and video chatting with a front-facing 2 megapixel camera.
Ice Cream Sandwich OS: According to GSM Helpdesk, S3 will definitely come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update and the device looks to have Samsung's latest version of TouchWiz software atop the user interface.
4G LTE and NFC: Rumors are intense that the successor of S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, will be backed by the 4G LTE capability and also the latest, Near Field Communication (NFC) feature.
Battery Upgrade: Rumor also has it that the S3 will be loaded with a 2250 mAh battery. Also, it would measure 131 x 64 x 8 mm and weigh around 125 grams.
Additional Features: The device is also rumored to come clocked with the ground-breaking 3D lenticular image technology along with innovative waterproof body feature and wireless charging.
What About Release Date?
Well, there have been a lot of predictions about when the Samsung Galaxy S3 would be launched. While the company has not shared any official information about it and still continues to maintain its silence, here is a roundup of all the speculations which are rampant in the media regarding the release date of the eagerly awaited gadget.
- Recently, an invite to the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S3 surfaced online from Korea and it was also out in the reports of Yahoo. According to the report, the teaser invite mentioned that Samsung's next smartphone would be launched in London on May 22.
- Adding to the same, last week, Dutch mobile blog GSM Helpdesk in the Netherlands leaked an image of the Samsung Galaxy S3 which it claimed was an official press photo of the device, obtained from an unnamed source. Along with a professed official press image of the expected smartphone, the site reasserted a potential date for S3's announcement and reaffirmed that the device would be launched May 22 at a press conference in London. The published image of the next generation smartphone showed the weather in London and the Unpacked Event calendar entry pictured on the home screen pointed to a May 22 press conference in London.
- Although, despite the image leak that made a May announcement seem increasingly likely, rumors swirled that Samsung was still considering an April launch for its highly anticipated Galaxy S3 smartphone. A South Korean news site MK reported that Samsung president for the China region, Kim Young-ha, was quoted as saying that the company was pushing for an April launch.
- Taking the release date brouhaha further, rumor also has it that a couple of South African carriers have recently said that they expect the Samsung Galaxy S3 to hit shelves by July.
- The South Korean manufacturer took to Twitter recently to shoot down rumors and fed the hype of the successor of S2 by saying, once a specific launch date [is available] we will notify you via Twitter first. Samsung also reached out to the Verge and informed the website that the device would be revealed in the first half of 2012.