As the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 enters its second month, numerous questions remain.
Carrying 239 people on board, the plane vanished during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8. A massive search effort was launched when news of the flight’s disappearance broke. But months later, family members of the missing jet remain devastated that no solid leads on Flight MH370’s location have been uncovered.
Malaysia Airlines has revealed its plans to close the assistance centers it set up for families in both Beijing and Kuala Lumpur, NBC reports. The airline is now asking that family members return to their homes and wait to hear any new information about the plane.
"The families of MH370 are advised to receive information updates on the progress of the search and investigation and other support by Malaysia Airlines within the comfort of their own homes, with the support and care of their families and friends," Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement issued Thursday. The majority of the 227 passengers on the plane were from China.
The search for the plane continues, though, with officials saying on May 7 that the U.S. Navy-owned Bluefin-21 would soon rejoin the efforts. Bluefin-21 is the only submarine searching the southern Indian Ocean for any trace of Flight MH370.
Continue Reading Below
Last week, when Australian defense vessel Ocean Shield returned to Perth to replenish supplies and personnel, the sub’s operation was suspended. But a spokesman for Australia’s Joint Agency Coordination Centre said the vessel is heading back and it will possibly get there as early as May 9.
Aviation experts have also gathered in Australia to look over all the data in connection to the missing flight. No debris from the flight has been discovered since it first went missing on March 8.
The group will “continue the review of information that will assist in progressing future underwater search planning,” Australia’s Joint Agency Coordination Centre said in a statement. “The work of the groups will be ongoing in the coming weeks as the underwater search planning progresses."