Calvin Broadus Jr., the West Coast rapper better known as Snoop Doggy Dogg and Snoop Dogg, decided to formally change his name again Wednesday, to "Snoop Lion." Snoop said he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in January, and his new persona Snoop Lion will make reggae music that "kids and grandparents can listen to."
"I feel like I've always been Rastafarian," Snoop Lion said at a press conference on Monday.
Snoop said he was also given the Ethiopian name "Berhane," which means "light of the world," but he plans to use the name "Snoop Lion" on and off stage. He said that he identifies with Rastafarianism, as well as its greatest proponent:
"I have always said I was Bob Marley reincarnated," Snoop Lion said. "I feel I have always been a Rastafari. I just didn't have my third eye open, but it's wide open right now."
The former "Gin & Juice" rapper said his forthcoming album, "Reincarnated," will be Snoop Lion's first reggae album.
"I didn't want to be Snoop Dogg on a reggae track. I wanted to bury Snoop Dogg and become Snoop Lion, but I didn't know that until I went to the temple and received the name Snoop Lion from the Nyabinghi priest," he explained. "From that moment on, I started to understand why I was there and was able to create something magical in this project, something I haven't done before in my career."
Snoop Lion seems very similar to Snoop Dogg, but the name got us thinking: Was "Snoop Lion" really the best possible name? We created a list of 10 other great names that we believe Snoop Dogg could have, and should have, chosen instead.
1. Snoop Doctor - The Doctor Bird is Jamaica's national bird. If three little birds sat on Marley's doorstep, at least one little bird could grace Calvin Broadus' new stage name. Also, the name makes Snoop sound infinitely more professional. People may be more inclined to take whatever drugs this Snoop prescribed.
2. Snizzle Dizzle - The originator of all things "izzle," Snoop should have considered "izzling" his name before he lionized it.
3. Doop Snogg - With this name, Snoop would have been much more popular with the gullible, easily deceived demographic, as well as all horny Britons.
4. Snoop Marley - If Snoop really believes he is Bob Marley reincarnated, the least he could do is take Marley's last name as an homage. Also, because "Snoop Bob" doesn't quite have a ring to it.
5. Snoop - Just Snoop.
6. Snoop-E - Snoop is now 40 years old, and he's winding down his rap career. Snoop-E could have represented a more Easygoing, Effortless, Equipped and Engaging artist. Also, assuming Snoop wanted to make music for the whole family, he could have made promoted his material with Charles Schultz's Snoopy character, just with red eyes and a big goofy smile. Talk about kid-friendly!
7. Simba Snoop - If Snoop really loved the "Lion" name, he could have gone with "Simba," the Swahili term for "lion." Plus, if Snoop is trying to be more family-friendly, Disney movie character names can't really be beat.
8. Snoop Sativa - It's no secret that Snoop Dogg loves the ganja. He was just arrested and banned from Norway for trying to bring eight grams of weed into the country. Snoop could have paid a little more homage to the herb that unites him and Marley.
9. Snoop Ackee - The national fruit of Jamaica, the ackee blooms during the warm months, like Snoop. It also has plenty of fatty acids, which Snoop needs. The ackee fruit is also unisexual; Snoop may not be there yet, but he did just recently say his third eye is "wide open."
10. Snoop Usain Bolt - If Snoop wanted to honor Jamaica... 'nuff said.
What do you think Snoop Dogg should have renamed himself? Snoop Shaloop? Pooper Snooper? Drop us your comments and ideas in the section below.