Senkaku Islands dispute
- Anti-China Riots In Vietnam Enrage Chinese Bloggers
May 15 2014 10:57 AM
China's netizens respond to anti-Chinese rioting in Vietnam after a violent standoff in the South China Sea.
- Obama: US-Japan Treaty Covers Islands Claimed By China
April 22 2014 7:55 PM
The islands at the center of a China-Japan dispute fall under U.S. defense commitments, the president tells a Tokyo newspaper.
- Japan Builds Controversial Radar Station Near Disputed Islands
April 19 2014 4:19 PM
Construction on Japan's new defense project comes a week prior to the Obama-Abe summit in Tokyo.
- China, Japan & South Korea: Who Is Claiming What?
December 09 2013 3:14 PM
A map of the air defense zone changes happening in the East China Sea.
- Chinese Jingoists Predict 'Six Inevitable Wars'
November 26 2013 4:04 PM
As U.S. planes defy a self-declared defense zone, a newspaper predicts wars with most of China's neighbors to regain lost territories.
- China’s Creation Of Air Defense Identification Zone Raises Concerns
November 25 2013 12:44 PM
The Chinese action ratchets up tension in the dispute over sovereignty of the islands known as "Diaoyu" in Chinese and "Senkaku" in Japanese.
- Japan-China Tension Simmering Over Gas Reservoirs
July 18 2013 10:57 AM
Tensions are escalating in the East China Sea over Chinese drilling for gas along its disputed maritime border with Japan.
- China’s Unlawful Territorial Claims Threaten Regional Security: Japan
July 09 2013 2:13 AM
Japan, which, in January, raised its defense budget for the first time in 11 years criticized its neighbors for inciting regional tensions.
- Japan Protests Chinese Communist Party Report Challenging Tokyo's Claim On Okinawa
May 09 2013 7:34 AM
Japan registered a protest to China on Thursday over People’s Daily newspaper questioning Tokyo’s historical claim on Okinawa.
- US Sides With Japan On Sino-Japanese Disputed-Island Issue
May 03 2013 5:02 AM
Defense Secretary Hagel made it official: The U.S. is committed to taking Japan's side on the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands.
- Japanese Lawmakers Shrine Visit Fuel East Asia Tensions
April 23 2013 5:45 AM
Several Japanese lawmakers visited a controversial shrine, amid simmering territorial tensions.
- East China Sea: China Says Japan Escalating Island Dispute By Scrambling Jets
April 19 2013 6:08 AM
China accused Japan on Thursday of ratcheting up maritime tensions by scrambling jets to monitor Chinese aircrafts.
- Pivot To Asia: Obama, Abe Talk Economies And China
February 23 2013 12:00 AM
A summit between U.S. President Barack Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe could lead to a stronger economic partnership.
- China Aims Missile Radar At Japanese Vessel
February 05 2013 10:10 AM
In the conflict over the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands, Tokyo claims that a Chinese ship made hostile moves toward a Japanese destroyer.
- Sea Dispute: Chinese Official Warns Australia On Siding With US, Japan
January 22 2013 8:06 AM
A Chinese military officer warned Australia not to side with the U.S. and Japan if the East China Sea conflict leads to war.
- New Map of China To Feature Disputed Territory
January 16 2013 1:14 PM
The territorial dispute between China and Japan over the Diaoyu/ Senkaku islands may not end soon. Especially now that a new official map shows them as Chones.
- Japan Summons Chinese Ambassador Over Island Dispute
January 08 2013 7:01 AM
Japan’s newly elected government headed by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Tuesday summoned the Chinese ambassador, for the time since its inauguration, to protest against the presence of Chinese vessels in waters near a disputed set of islands in the East China Sea.
- China And Japan At War? Australian Academic Says It Could Happen Next Year
December 27 2012 10:08 AM
An Australian professor thinks that China/Japan island tension in the South China Sea (pictured) will eventually spark a war.
- Panetta's Visit To Asia Unlikely To Assuage Sino-Japanese Nationalist Anger
September 17 2012 4:29 PM
Tangible results to alleviating China's rising temper against Japan seem nowhere to be found. U.S. officials are urging for calm and peace, but the reality on the streets is that Chinese anger and frustrations are dealing increasing damage and violence to businesses carrying Japanese branded products. Meanwhile, a massive Chinese fishing fleet is soon expected to arrive in the waters off the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands, worsening the prospects of a swift resolution.
- Tokyo Governor Ishihara Draws Chinese Ire With Comments On Island Dispute
April 17 2012 1:22 PM
Shintaro Ishihara may not be a household name in the United States. But in East Asia, he is often at the center of international controversy because of nationalistic-themed statements that regularly infuriate China and South Korea -- and on Monday, he did it again.