Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo is set to announce the official signing of Marseille right back Cesar Azpilicueta, which will be completed by the start of league fixtures this weekend.
The deal had been ongoing for weeks now and negotiations looked to have stalled as the clubs could not agree on a fee. The player himself also had some family related personal troubles he was dealing with.
But the issues have been resolved by all three parties and now Azpilicueta's representatives are travelling to London on Thursday to tie up the final pieces of the deal, with both clubs set to announce it officially by the weekend.
The confirmed fee is said to be around £9 million plus bonuses, but this is unconfirmed as yet. There has been no mention of Chelsea player Gael Kakuta being included in a deal and it is looking likely it will be a money only deal.
Chelsea Chief Executive Ron Gourlay says the club have adopted a 'only buy young' policy and with their average age set to drop immensely this season, it has drawn them to look at players of Azpilicueta's calibre.
22-year-old Azpilicueta is a highly rated Spanish international, who will offer Chelsea another alternative at right back for the more defensively minded Branislav Ivanovic, who has stated he prefers to play as a centre back.
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will now look to bring in one other attacking player to complete the final pieces of his transition puzzle at Stamford Bridge.738299