This weekend kicked off with Sunderland hosting West Brom. A dismal performance from Simon Mingolet led to Sunderland ultimately losing to the Baggies. QPR began the weekend without a manager against SAF’s United. Although QPR took the lead, United were never going to lose against a manager less team.
5) Jermain Defoe – The English centre forward was vital in Tottenham’s 3-1 win over West Ham. He scored the first in the 45th minute and after Bale’s goal, he scored Spurs’ third in the 64th minute. Under AVB he has been one of the best players in the league. It’s a shame he didn’t get as much playing time under Harry Redknapp. Even under Roy Hodgson at England, Defoe has been on top form. It’s form that Spurs need out of Defoe as AVB is determined to play 4-5-1. Defoe is definitely the man on form for Spurs and he’ll do all he can to stay ahead of Adebayor in the line-up.
4) Gaston Ramirez – What a coup Nigel Adkins got here. The player that could have easily moved to a big four team, but the Uruguayan decided to move to Saint Mary’s in order to gain first team football. This weekend he scored the second in the 2-0 win over Newcastle and assisted Adam Lallana’s first half goal. It was an amazing achievement for Southampton as Newcastle have proved they are one of the best teams in England. Ramirez is showing why there was so much interest in his services before he moved to Southampton. There’s no doubt he’ll spark the attention of major sides next season if he continues this brilliant form.
3) Zoltan Gera – Gera was instrumental in West Brom’s 4-2 win over Sunderland. The Hungarian scored a nice goal from the edge of the box and played extremely well all game. Every West Brom player has played their part in the Baggies’ amazing form this season. It’s almost Christmas and they remain the top four. Amazing for a team that struggled to survive last season. Gera, Long, Odemwingie and the rest have played some of the best football in the league. It really is surprising but very refreshing.
2) Anderson – The Brazilian playmaker is a fringe player at United. He gets runs in teams but then fails to play the majority because of poor form or injury. He came off the bench against QPR and turned the game around. A wonderful burst of pace led to him slotting Hernandez in and the Little Pea finished perfectly. Anderson and Cleverley were an amazing duo in October last year but both got injured and United’s season took a turn for the worse. If he had stayed fit, United probably would have won the title for the 20th time. However he’s a player that isn’t respected and often seen as the joke player.
1) Jordi Gomez – Gomez is my favourite Wigan player. He has such style and class when he plays. This weekend he scored an astonishing hat-trick in Wigan’s 3-2 win over Reading. Wigan have been a yoyo team this season. Not keeping any consistent form of any sort. But they are very entertaining to watch. Roberto Martinez is treated like a God by Latics fans but he wouldn’t still be at the DW stadium if Liverpool allowed him to have complete control of the team. But he stayed and made a great signing in Kone. But this week it was the Spaniard to take all of the plaudits.