5) Jan Vertonghen – The Belgian defender has been a coup for Spurs and one of the signings of the season. He scored Tottenham’s only and winning goal in their 1-0 win over Swansea. Vertonghen has said that he turned down a move to Arsenal because Arsene Wenger wanted him to play in midfield. Perhaps Wenger is now kicking himself as the Belgian defender is showing why he should have listened to him. He has been the ideal replacement for Ledley King and if he signed for Arsenal, he could have made a good partner for Koscielny or Vermaelen.
4) Adel Taarabt – A 52nd minute deflected strike followed by his second in the 62nd minute helped QPR defeat a pathetic Fulham. The Moroccan was playing as I he was back in the Championship. Now under Harry Redknapp, it looks like Taarabt is going to fulfil his potential. It took 17 matches for QPR to get their first win but they finally achieved what many thought was impossible. They have a good squad of players and can easily survive the drop. They just need every player to pull together and build on Taarabt’s performance.
3) Tom Cleverley – Manchester United’s new star midfielder was the outstanding player in their 3-1 win over Sunderland. He scored the goal of the game after some brilliant link-up play. He looks to be finally coming of age as Ferguson has maintained his faith in the English midfielder time and time again. There’s no doubt Cleverley will be vital in the England squad in Brazil 2014 and beyond. He’s an exciting prospect for United and England fans alike. I can already see him and Wilshere becoming the next Gerrard and Lampard of the next ten years.
2) Christian Benteke – He scored two goals in Villa’s 3-1 win over Liverpool. Since his arrival at Villa Park, Benteke has been their star player in a weak squad. It’s just a shame he can’t play alongside Darren Bent. They would make a brilliant partnership. The Belgium looks to be one of the signings of the season along with Swansea’s Michu. He is just one of many star Belgian players which have taken the football world by storm. Benteke would make a great fit for the Arsenal or Liverpool as both teams need new strikers.
1) Yaya Toure – The big Ivorian played a sublime ball into Samir Nasri for Manchester City’s opener. It was a work of pure genius. He also scored the third and decisive goal in the 3-1 victory. Although Toure hasn’t played to the high standard of last season, he had an unstoppable game against the Toon. Manchester City will lose their main midfielder in January for the African Cup of Nations and this might prove to be harmful in their hopes to retain the Premier League trophy.117704