Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas is out for 6-8 weeks with a broken hand. New signing Diego Lopez will probably be thrown in immediately to try and create a partnership with his two centre-backs ahead of crunch games next month in the cup competitions. Influential centre back Pepe is also still out with an ankle injury. Apart from those two, Madrid have a full squad to choose from and may rest a couple of players ahead of the Copa Del Rey semi-final first leg against Barcelona on Wednesday. Madrid aren’t in the greatest of form in the league, only winning two of their last five matches, however are unbeaten at home in a staggering 21 matches in La Liga. They lie 3rd in the table, 7 points behind local rivals and namesake Athletico, and a whopping 15 points behind arch enemies Barcelona.
Getafe are also in poor form, with no wins in 6 in the league giving them 4 points out of a possible 18 – rock bottom in the form guide for the whole division. Decent form earlier in the season has led Luis Garcia’s men to a solid 11th in the table, however they are starting to look over their shoulders with a poor run of form leaving them 8 points off the relegation zone. Creator-in-chief Pedro Leon is out through injury, and is joined on the sidelines by Angel Lafita, Xavi Torres and Mane. New signing Sergio Escudero is likely to feature. Containment is surely the only option here as Getafe have the 7th worst defensive record in the league, have a shocking record against Madrid (lost 7 of their last 8), and are particularly struggling away from home at the moment.
- Cristiano Ronaldo – 18 goals and 4 assists in 19 appearances this season tells it’s own story. Left foot, right foot, heading, skills, crossing, the Portugese winger has the complete arsenal to score at any moment.
- Xabi Alonso – The midfield lynchpin has a sensational range of passing, and can set Madrid away by dropping deep and switching the play at will. Set piece delivery also excellent.
- Sergio Ramos – Back from suspension, Iker Casillas named him as Madrid’s most important player earlier in the season. Has matured into a dependable, tough-tackling centre back; one of the very best in Europe.
- Alexis – The stylish centre back will have to be on top form to keep the likes of Ronaldo and Higuain at bay. Has chipped in with 3 goals this season, and could be Getafe’s main threat on any rare attacking set piece opportunities.
- Pablo Alcacer – The highly-rated teenager has the potential to unlock any defence on his day. Has only scored twice so far this season but is learning with every game.
- Angel Laftia – The midfielder will have his work cut out tracking the runs of Modric behind him, and possibly helping Valera to double up on Ronaldo. Has scored twice this season.
Line ups (probable):
Madrid (4-2-3-1): Lopez; Arbeloa, Carvalho, Ramos, Coentrao; Khedira, Alonso; Di Maria, Modric, Ronaldo; Higuain
Getafe (4-5-2): Moya; Valera, Lopo, Alexis, Escudero; Castro, Rodriguez, Michel, Gavilian, Sarabia; Alcacer
Where To Watch Online: Real Madrid v Getafe
Prediction: A thumping here and a return to scoring form for Madrid. Ronaldo has scored 8 in 6 against Getafe, coupled with the away side’s poor record against Madrid generally, should see a one-sided affair. 5-0887042