German press source BILD are reporting that Napoli forward Edinson Cavani will become a Chelsea player within 48 hours, and that Manchester City have accepted defeat and turned their attentions to Bayern Munich's big German international Mario Gomez instead. Negotiations broke down between the two clubs when Napoli allegedly told them that a deal had already been agreed with another club, said to be Chelsea.
The report also states that it will be a fee of £49 million that Chelsea will pay for Cavani, almost matching what they paid for Fernando Torres from Liverpool back in 2011.
The transfer saga of the summer looks close to its finale and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich looks set to land his marksman, who he has been chasing for a couple of seasons now. The Blues need a prolific all round striker to spearhead their attack with both Torres and Demba Ba not really making the cut last term, even though the Spaniard did bag himself 22 goals, the player himself admits he needs to improve vastly and perhaps even more so now with Cavani's imminent arrival.
According to Goal.com, Liverpool Manager Brendan Rodgers will bring in four more new players during the current summer transfer window, to add to the likes of Kolo Toure and Iago Aspas who have already arrived at Anfield.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Simon Mignolet, Luis Alberto and Christian Atsu are the talented names being touted as the new arrivels as Liverpool look set to use the funds that they are recouping from Wednesday's Andy Carrol transfer to West Ham.
The report states that Rodgers has returned from his holiday and will now look at sealing up these deals, as well as sorting out the over hanging issue of striker Luis Suarez's future. It is a mouth watering array of talent he is expecting to bring in to Anfield this season and will help fill the void that will be left by such a big prescence that Suarez has.
Gonzalo Higuain is close to signing for Arsenal, after reports have emerged that the club has agreed a deal for the Real Madrid forward.
Spanish Publication AS reports the Gunners have agreed a fee of £22.5 million with Los Blancos. The report also indicates Arsenal and Higuain have agreed a wage structure, paying the striker £115,000 per week.
Both numbers represent club records. That is ample proof that Arsenal's much lauded willingness to spend big this summer is real.
Manager Arsene Wenger appears determined to field a top class striker in the new season. Arsenal's attack certainly suffered after the sale of talisman Robin van Persie last summer.
The goals still flowed with Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud sharing the burden up front. But neither were consistent scorers. They combined for just 22 goals in the English Premier League.
In particular, they failed to score in six games against the top three. Arsenal failed to beat Chelsea, Manchester City, or Manchester United. The failings of their main strikers in these games was a major reason why.
Life is never dull at Stamford Bridge at transfer window time, so as we approach the 1st July, things are definitely heating up!
Firstly, it seems that there are signs of activity surrounding Uruguayan Edinson Cavani, who currently plays for Napoli in Serie A. It was thought originally that Monaco was at the head of the queue, but now they have Falcao, they have pulled out of the race for the striker, leaving Chelsea in pole position. Chelsea will hold crunch talks with Napoli in the next 24 hours to try to bring their Uruguayan hitman Edinson Cavani to Stamford Bridge, with the Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis evidently quoted as saying that he would welcome talks. Mourinho would have preferred Lewandowski from Dortmund, but the German club have stated that they will not sell the player this year, leaving Cavani as their next best option, albeit probably more expensive. Mourinho has been reminded about the FFP rules now applying, so any extra spent on Cavani will mean less for anybody else.
Fabio Capello To Be Announced As The New PSG Boss On 1-Year Deal, Arsene Wenger To Take Over In 2014
Tuesday evening brings some big news in the shape of new management in French giants Paris Saint-Germain. Sky Italia, who are the Italian version of Sky Sports, are claiming that PSG are set to announce that former England Manager Fabio Capello will become their new Manager on a 1-year deal. Even more astonishing is the fact that they are stating that Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger will take over from Capello in 2014 in a pre-agreement.
In the world of football, this news is big. 67-year-old Italian Capello is the current manager of the Russian National side and it has come with great shock that he is set to be confirmed as the PSG manager. The Russian FA are set to recieve around £2 million in compensation for the deal.
Allegedly the report goes on to state that current Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has signed an agreement to take over from Capello's temporary 1-year contract when it finishes in 2014, thus bringing us the most shocking part of this story. Wenger was thought to be busy re-building his Arsenal squad in order to compete for the Premier League title this season and the thought of him leaving is astounding.