"Star Wars" fans, there's been another awakening. After many were disappointed that "Star Wars: Episode VIII" was delayed seven months, many will be excited to hear that filming on the next episode is now underway.
During the Walt Disney Co.’s quarterly earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed to Entertainment Weekly that the filming of "Star Wars: Episode VIII" has started and so has production on "Star Wars: Episode IX." However, it was unclear what kind of work is being done for the third installment in the new trilogy, which is due out in 2019.
"Star Wars: Episode VIII," which is also known as "Star Wars: Episode 8," was expected to be released in May 2017, but was pushed back to December 2017. Iger said the goal is to continue to make movies that were just as good as last year's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."
"There is no better way to propel this franchise into the future than producing quality products," he said.
"Star Wars: Episode VIII" will be directed by Rian Johnson of "Looper" fame. "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" star Daisy Ridely told Variety in December 2015 that the script of the film is "very, very good." Co-star John Boyega also teased the film when he told the U.K. edition of Vogue that the film will be "darker."
Not much is known about what's in store for "Star Wars: Episode IX." "Jurassic World" director Colin Trevorrow will direct the movie, which he plans on shooting on film, according to Entertainment Weekly.
While fans have to wait until December 2017 for the next "Star Wars" chapter, there will be another movie set in the "Star Wars" universe coming out this year. On Dec. 16, "Rogue One" will be released, which tells the story of the rebellion group that steals the plans of the Death Star. The film is a prequel to "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope."