U.S. stock index futures pointed to a lower open on Friday after Chevron Corp warned about its second-quarter earnings, raising the specter of a weaker-than-expected second-half economic recovery and anemic corporate profits.
* After the bell Thursday, Chevron
* Alcoa Inc
* Economic data on tap includes the preliminary reading for July's Reuters/University of Michigan survey of consumer sentiment, due at 9:55 a.m. EDT. The data is expected to come in at 70.5, down from 70.8 in June, according to the average forecast of economists polled by Reuters.
* S&P 500 futures fell 6.30 points and were below fair value, a formula that evaluates pricing by taking into account interest rates, dividends and time to expiration on the contract. Dow Jones industrial average futures lost 64 points, and Nasdaq 100 futures gave up 9.50 points.
* In the auto sector, General Motors Corp
* On Thursday, stocks edged higher as investors bought beaten-down technology and commodity shares and a positive broker comment on Goldman Sachs Group Inc
(Reporting by Leah Schnurr; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)