Wow. That’s all we can say about the Season 9 finale of “Supernatural.”
Well, maybe we can say a little more. From start to finish, Eric Kripke had us clutching our couches with anticipation as we watched the last episode of the CW series’ ninth season play out. Which reminds us … you owe us a new loveseat, Kripke. Seriously, after all the drama that went down in episode 23, “Do You Believe In Miracles,” you can’t blame us for anxiously digging our nails into our cushions.
If you happened to miss last night’s thrilling episode of “SPN,” don’t sweat it. We’re going to break down the nine most shocking moments that occurred during the Season 9 finale:
1. Dean gets high: OK, so we don’t mean that Dean plays puff-puff-pass with his brother and Castiel during episode 23. We’re actually referring to the high he gets from handling the First Blade. “The more you kill, the better you feel,” Crowley explained, adding that Dean will face consequences if he doesn’t get his kill fill. Cue the blood-soaked coughs!
2. Metatron vs. Dean: Dean might have won the battle with his hysterical quips (honestly, how did he come up with the nickname “Bernie Madoff with wings"?) but Metatron totally won the battle. After beating Sam’s brother to a bloody pulp, Metatron finished off the Winchester hottie by brutally stabbing him through the heart with a sword. Guys, it was hard for us to watch. But you can totally revisit that scene here!
3. Brotherly love: Despite their tumultuous relationship, you could tell that the brothers' love for one another was shining through, especially in the dark scene when Sam rushed over to his dying brother. “Sammy, you gotta get out of here before he comes back,” Dean’s voice cracked, and so did our hearts. Sam refused to leave Dean’s side and attempted to summon Crowley to save his brother’s life.
4. Dean accepts death: But Dean isn’t interested in being saved. “It was better this way,” Dean confessed. “The mark — it’s making me into something I don’t want to be.”
5. Castiel gets crafty: While his friends are bloodied and battered, Castiel is facing his own demons – or should we say angels gone bad? Castiel manages to get Metatron to confess his diabolical ways by pulling the old loudspeaker-is-secretly-on trick. Instead of killing Metatron, the angels take him into custody after his unintentional admission. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with Metatron still being alive?
6. Dean the demon: We’ve watched the Winchester brothers die countless times, but never did we witness them being turned into demons. During the final moments of “SPN,” we saw Dean wake from death only to reveal his black, eerie eyes. Crowley was right when he said he felt a “new kind of life” flowing through Dean’s veins.
7. Premonition: Dean becoming a demon shouldn’t be a complete surprise to “Supernatural” fans. In Season 3, episode 10 (“Dream a Little Dream of Me”), it was predicted that Dean would become a paranormal creature himself – one with chilling eyes of darkness.
What did you think of the Season 9 finale of “Supernatural”? What was your favorite moment from episode 23? Chime in with your comments below!