T-Mobile USA stores has taken the first shipment of nano-SIM cards capable of working on unlocked iPhone 5 handsets, TmoNews, the T-Mobile blog, has reported.
The iPhone 5-ready nano-SIM cards, apparently made their first appearance in the carrier's stores Saturday, allowing unlocked versions of the smartphone to be activated on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.
Reportedly, several stores in New York told The Verge that the nano-SIM cards were delivered Saturday, but stocks appeared to be limited.
With majority of T-Mobile's HSPA+ (4G) network running on AWS band - a band that is not supported by iPhones - users may be stuck with slow speeds in most parts of the U.S., The Verge has pointed out.
However, not all seems to be lost though, as T-Mobile has begun offering iPhone-friendly 1900MHz HSPA+ service in a few areas in Seattle, Las Vegas and New York metro area, The Verge has added.
Any unlocked AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 handset will operate on T-Mobile network, including unlocked units sold by Apple.
The price tags for factory unlocked or out-of-contract handsets were $649, $749 and $849 for 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions respectively, AppleInsider has stated, adding, non-contract units from AT&T and Verizon were likely to sport similar price tags.
The nano-SIM is said to be 40 percent smaller than the micro-SIM architecture. It is officially recognized as the official fourth form factor (4FF) SIM card and a successor of micro-SIM.
The nano-SIM is designed to maximize space in iPhone 5 chassis. The iPhone 5 is identified as the first smartphone to use the standard, AppleInsider has added.
iPhone 5 Production On Schedule, Asserts Foxconn
In a iPhone 5-related news incident, Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn asserted that its production of iPhone 5 handsets is on schedule and denied rumors that its plant in China was affected by a strike.
Earlier, reports indicated that 3,000 to 4,000 workers went on strike at Foxconn's Zhengzhou complex in Central China Oct.1-2, in protest against exacting quality control standards and sustained work pressure, Reuters has stated.
Addressing the issue in a statement, Foxconn noted: "Any reports that there has been an employee strike are inaccurate. There has been no workplace stoppage in that facility or any other Foxconn facility and production has continued on schedule".
Reportedly, Foxconn has asserted that quarrels that occurred on October 1-2, were "immediately addressed and measures taken, including providing additional staff for the lines in question," Reuters has added.
Apple Extends iCloud Storage To MobileMe Members For Another Year
In Apple-related round-up for the week, there's some good news for MobileMe users as Apple has announced that allotment of complimentary storage will continue for another year to Sept.30, 2013.
Previously, Apple had scheduled the downgrading of free storage offered to MobileMe users to Sept.30, 2012, but a technical glitch on the appointed date resulted in allotment of additional 25GB free storage to both iCloud and MobileMe members till 2050. This forced Apple to revisit its withdrawal plan.
Initially, 20GB of storage was offered when MobileMe customers transitioned from pay-service to free iCloud. The bonus storage beyond 5G was scheduled to downgrade by end September 2012.