With the April 18 tax filing deadline here, last minute filers can take advantage of the Internal Revenue Services' Ten Tips for Last-Minute Filers.
1) File Electronically - IRS e-file is used by 1 in 3 people in the United States. Over 100 million people have already done so for their 2010 tax returns
2) Check ID Numbers - Check Social Security numbers for each person in the return. Incorrect or missing numbers can cause delay or reduce a tax refund.
3) Double Check Figures - In paper returns, make sure the refund or balance due is right
4) Check Tax tables - Tax tables will help in assessing the correct amount of taxes due - useful when using Free File Fillable Forms or a paper return.
5) Sign Your Form - Sign and date. Both spouses must sign a joint return. Preparers must also sign.
6) Mail Return - Find the correct address at www.irs.gov. Click the individuals tab and where to file link under IRS Resources on the left side of the page.
7) Mail Payment - The payment check should be made to the United States Treasury and should include tax return or form 1040-V, the Payment Voucher, if used. The check should include the Social Security number of the first person listed on the return, a daytime phone number, the tax year, and type of form filed.
8) Electronic Payment - You can authorize an electronic funds withdrawal, or use a credit or debit card. More information is available on www.irs.gov.
9) Filing Extension - Requests for an extension of the time to file are due by April 18. An estimate payment must still be made by April 18, even if the paperwork is not all done.
10) www.IRS.gov - The website provides information on a variety of subjects. It also provides forms and other publications.