Markets / Finance
- ‘Freeze-Intolerant’ Bed Bugs Can Survive Subzero Temperatures For Days
December 09 2013 7:04 PM
Contrary to what researchers previously believed, bed bugs can survive freezing temperatures, meaning that exposure to subzero conditions won’t work for eliminating them from our bedrooms.
- 90 Percent Of Fortune 500 Companies Are LGBT-Friendly
December 09 2013 3:08 PM
And for the first time, more than 60 percent of all Fortune 500 companies included both sexual orientation and gender identity protections in their company policy.
- Silver Investor Products Show Modest Gain, Even As Silver Prices Plunge
December 09 2013 2:59 PM
Silver prices have fallen over 30 percent since January, but investors have migrated modestly to the metal after an equally bad year for gold.
- Early Universe Is Less Dusty Than Previously Believed
December 09 2013 2:50 PM
New research indicates there is less dust in the early universe than had been believed, which could lead to changes in current theories on star formation.
- China's Financial Reforms: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back
December 09 2013 1:12 PM
China has taken another step in liberalizing its financial sector by loosening its grip on interest rates.
- Sysco & US Foods Merge - Food Distributor For The Postmodern Era
December 09 2013 11:30 AM
The two food companies lauded the synergy benefits they would receive thanks to the deal.
- A Platinum Pinch In 2014?
December 09 2013 10:51 AM
High costs at South African platinum mine companies mean that supplies will be limited in the near future.
- Cerberus Comes Closer To Selling Newtown Gun Maker
December 09 2013 8:06 AM
Activists planned to protest outside the private equity firm’s New York headquarters on Monday.
- Mon Futures Suggest Higher Open
December 09 2013 5:52 AM
Following the lowest unemployment rate in five years reported last week, focus will now shift to retail sales and jobless claims data.
- Germany's Trade Surplus Narrows In October
December 09 2013 2:49 AM
Germany’s exports to EU member states grew by 2.1 percent while imports rose by 3.1 percent.
- China Inflation Slows
December 08 2013 11:19 PM
A surprise consumer inflation reading in China in November eased fears about immediate policy tightening.
- Japan Q3 GDP Slows More Than Estimated
December 08 2013 8:14 PM
The revision, from a preliminary 0.05 percent increase, comes as private investment stalled.
- Florida Man Uses Bitcoins To Purchase $100,000 Tesla
December 07 2013 5:56 PM
The transaction was the first time the digital currency has been used at the dealership for a purchase.
- Income Inequality In The US, Charted
December 07 2013 10:37 AM
Median income for the wealthiest 5 percent has bounced back to pre-recession levels, but the bottom 20 percent aren’t so lucky.
- Private Equity Sees Whether It Likes Socially Responsible Investing
December 06 2013 4:38 PM
Private equity dealmakers have slowly become aware that the greater good could make a real difference to their buyouts, exits and investments.
- In Russia's Oil-Rich Bashkortostan, Terror Threats Undercut Investment Efforts
December 06 2013 11:19 AM
Russian's frigid Bashkortostan state -- site of the upcoming BRICS summit -- is rich in oil and attractive to investment, but for one thing (besides the cold): the threat of Islamic fundamentalism.
- Why Shell Canceled Its Planned Louisiana Gas Plant
December 06 2013 10:29 AM
Louisiana's Ascension Parish will miss out on a $12.5 billion gas conversion plant after Shell said costs were too high.
- Secret Russian Palladium Stockpiles: Runnin' On Empty
December 06 2013 8:57 AM
A leading metals and mining company said the Russian government may no longer have any palladium under its belt.
- Friday Futures Point To Higher Open
December 06 2013 5:42 AM
Unemployment data will be watched closely for an insight into the Fed’s next move on its stimulus program.
- Bitcoin: Interest From Wall Street Grows
December 05 2013 1:23 PM
Two major Wall Street banks penned their initial thoughts on bitcoin as a serious global currency this week.