Markets / Finance
- Healthy US Economy Possible By 2016's End, Fed's Yellen Says
April 16 2014 1:25 PM
In a New York speech, Fed Chair Yellen said central bankers and many economists see full employment and stable prices by the end of 2016.
- IBM Hit With $2.5B Suit From Mexico Mobile Phone Company
April 16 2014 12:29 PM
Iusacell SA de CV accused IBM Wednesday of making fraudulent representations that caused it to lose $2.5 billion in profits.
- March US Housing Starts Rise, But Miss Estimate
April 16 2014 9:19 AM
Permits, a more-reliable gauge of future building activity, fell in March to a 990,000-unit annual pace.
- US Treasury Criticizes Yuan's 'Unprecedented' Movement
April 16 2014 7:37 AM
China's GDP growth slowed to its slowest pace in 18 months; as a result, officials are looking for ways to maintain the 7.5% target growth rate.
- Wed. Futures Suggest Upbeat Open
April 16 2014 5:29 AM
Quarterly earnings announcements and economic data should influence Wednesday's session.
- UK Unemployment Rate Falls Below BOE Threshold
April 16 2014 5:12 AM
The unemployment rate fell to a level below the one originally set by the Bank of England for considering an increase in interest rates.
- After-Hours Earnings Buzz: Intel, Yahoo
April 15 2014 8:16 PM
Intel Corporation and Yahoo! Inc. both reported fiscal first-quarter earnings after U.S. markets closed on Tuesday.
- Google's Focus On Mobile Brings Fatter Earnings
April 15 2014 6:43 PM
Wall Street analysts expect Google to increase revenue and earnings in the first quarter of 2014.
- Brazil's Prosperity Boosts Education, Skills, Lowers Unemployment
April 15 2014 1:15 PM
Brazil's growing prosperity is allowing teenagers to stay in school for longer instead of searching for jobs to support their families.
- Coke Revenue Beats Estimates On China Performance
April 15 2014 9:04 AM
Global case volumes rose 2% in the quarter, while those in China rose 12%, due to increased marketing.
- In China's Raw Material Push, Supply, Not Price, Is The Key
April 15 2014 7:08 AM
China paid full price for Peru's Las Bambas mine, but the long-term strategy is a solid one.
- Tues. Futures Suggest Subdued Open
April 15 2014 5:53 AM
Quarterly earnings, data on inflation and housing, and opening remarks from Janet Yellen at a Fed conference should influence markets.
- Diageo Plans To Raise Stake In United Spirits For $1.9B
April 15 2014 2:18 AM
The latest open offer is the second attempt by Diageo to gain a larger stake in the Bangalore, India-based company.
- EU Expands Sanctions Against Russia
April 14 2014 1:46 PM
The sanctions, not specified in the initial vote, will likely include more people under asset freezes and visa bans.
- Insurer Endurance Offers $3.2B For Aspen Insurance
April 14 2014 12:17 PM
The offer is unsolicited, with Endurance noting that Aspen's board and management have refused the proposal.
- TIAA-CREF Buys Nuveen Investments For $6.25B
April 14 2014 11:12 AM
The deal will add more than $221 billion in assets to TIAA-CREF's roughly $569 billion in assets under management.
- Eurosceptics More United Than Many Think: Poll
April 14 2014 10:51 AM
Rather than being single-issue voters with narrow national interests, the survey suggests far-right Eurosceptics share a common set of values.
- EU May Impose More Sanctions On Russia
April 14 2014 9:06 AM
A U.K. envoy also said there was no doubt that Moscow was behind the destabilization of eastern Ukraine.
- March US Retail Sales Jump, Beat Estimate
April 14 2014 8:47 AM
Retail sales account for a third of U.S. consumer spending, and a sustained increase bodes well for GDP, earnings and job growth.
- Citigroup Quarterly Earnings Beat Estimates
April 14 2014 8:34 AM
Citigroup's quarterly loss on troubled assets eased to $292 million from $798 million a year earlier - and that aided the bottom line.