Markets / Finance
- Alibaba IPO Now Biggest Ever
September 22 2014 1:10 AM
Alibaba surpassed Agricultural Bank of China’s $22.1 billion IPO to become the world’s largest, after bankers hiked up the deal size.
- Indonesian Province Considers Draconian Anti-Gay Law
September 20 2014 10:47 PM
Aceh, the westernmost part of the country, may enact a law stipulating 100 cane lashes for those found guilty of having gay sex.
- After Record IPO, Alibaba Prepares To Expand Outside China
September 20 2014 2:18 AM
Alibaba could strengthen its overseas operations by focusing on investments in, and partnerships with, local logistics companies.
- How Long Can Alibaba's Momentum Last?
September 19 2014 7:01 PM
Alibaba shares jumped just over 38 percent on Friday, but how long will the momentum last?
- Here's Why Alibaba Took More Than 2 Hours To Start Trading
September 19 2014 5:59 PM
The e-commerce giant took so long to begin trading on Friday due to a quirk of the NYSE, explained the trader who pressed the button to kick off the IPO.
- Alibaba's Big Winners: Banks, Jack Ma And NYSE
September 19 2014 5:35 PM
Alibaba left $5 billion on the table, and that went directly to underwriting institutions.
- Alibaba Founder Flashes A $228 Billion Smile
September 19 2014 12:32 PM
The Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, which opened for trading Friday on NYSE, is now more valuable than Facebook, Amazon or Disney.
- E-Commerce Giant Explodes In Debut
September 19 2014 12:01 PM
Alibaba's IPO soared 36 percent on Friday morning, with customer orders flying high and huge crowds watching.
- Oracle Shares Slide As Ellison Vacates CEO Slot
September 19 2014 11:15 AM
Shares were off more than 5 percent early Friday after Larry Ellison said he would step down as CEO.
- Companies, Markets Cheer Scottish Referendum Outcome
September 19 2014 6:52 AM
Stocks of companies with Scottish links extended gains in early trading as markets gave their thumbs-up to the outcome of the vote.
- Markets In Europe, Asia Rally After Scottish Vote
September 19 2014 1:46 AM
The GBP had, last week, slumped to a 10-month low against the dollar over fears of the impact of a possible Scottish exit.
- SAP Snaps Up Concur For $7.3B
September 18 2014 6:07 PM
The deal strengthens SAP's hold on the back-office software market.
- Alibaba Sets IPO Price At $68
September 18 2014 5:49 PM
Robust pricing has set up what may be the biggest IPO in U.S. history.
- Jack Ma Joins The Party
September 18 2014 11:21 AM
He's a business maverick accustomed to doing things his own way. How will Jack Ma deal with openness and, well, shareholders?
- Ebola Death Toll Reaches 2,622
September 18 2014 9:23 AM
At least 2,622 people have died in the worst outbreak of Ebola virus in history, which has so far infected at least 5,335 people in West Africa, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday.
- US Jobless Claims Drop, Labor Market Firms Up
September 18 2014 9:22 AM
The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell more than expected last week.
- Chinese Investors Find Ways Around Rules To Buy Into Alibaba IPO
September 18 2014 4:21 AM
While government restrictions prevent small investors from buying stocks on foreign markets, large investors have other options.
- How Does Alibaba Operate?
September 18 2014 1:22 AM
As Alibaba prepares to launch what could be the biggest U.S. IPO ever, we examine how the company rose to fortune.
- Alibaba IPO: Who Wins, Who Loses?
September 17 2014 8:38 PM
The IPO of the Chinese e-commerce giant on Thursday will create winners and losers. A handy guide.
- US House Passes Bill To Avert Government Shutdown, Extend Export-Import Bank
September 17 2014 6:51 PM
The measure also contains a separately approved authorization for the Defense Department to arm moderate Syrian rebels to fight ISIS.