Hardware / Software
- iOS 6 Release Date Is Almost Here: Why Apple Maps May Lose To Google, Other Features To Look Out For
September 18 2012 11:30 AM
Apple will begin its official rollout of iOS 6 on Wednesday, just a couple of short days before the release date of its recently revealed iPhone 5. The next-generation operating system boasts a host of new features for iOS devices, but one crucial flaw may have some users considering a switch to Android.
- Steam Greenlight: Valve Announces First Round Of Top Indie Games, Steps Further Into User-Generated Publishing Model
September 11 2012 5:46 PM
Always a fan of user-generated content and community-oriented software development, Valve Corp. released the list for its first round of independent games from its new "Steam Greenlight" program on Wednesday. Titles include "Black Mesa," "Cry of Fear," "Dream," "Heroes & Generals," and "Kenshi," all of which ranked at the top of the community's most popular titles on the new Greenlight platform.
- Steam 'Big Picture Mode' Enters Beta: What This Means For Valve's Future Hardware
September 10 2012 4:18 PM
Following a slew of announcements about Valve Corporation expanding beyond game development and distribution into general software and hardware possibilities, Steam is officially releasing a beta version of its "Big Picture Mode" today. Showing a sleek and innovative approach to a television-based user interface, the new version of Steam raises questions about the future of PC game development.
- Sony Faces Piracy Concerns Following PS Vita, Mobile Hacks
September 07 2012 2:21 PM
Following reports earlier this week of Apple allowing hackers into its iCloud service, Sony Corportation is facing similar concerns over the security of its data across everything from its mobile-phone business to its new mobile gaming console, the Playstation Vita. In addition to piracy concerns, the new hacks highlight the relative weakness of the PS Vita's performance so far in the gaming market.
- Tech And Gaming Channel G4 To Get A GQ-Inspired Facelift, Here Are Some Programming Ideas For The New G4
September 07 2012 12:04 PM
G4, a channel that has established itself as a premier destination for all things geek culture is apparently going to undergo a bit of a change. NBC/Universal is looking to shift the channel from its nerdy roots to a more mature, GQ-inspired look.
- Amazon Kindle Fire HD Announcement: 3 Reasons It’s Not Called The Kindle Fire 2 [OPINION]
September 06 2012 6:18 PM
Amazon officially announced its next-generation Kindle Fire release on Thursday, unveiling a brand new tablet with improved specs and battery, HD visuals and 4G LTE connectivity. However, there is one characteristic no critic or analyst had predicted: the tablet’s name.
- 'Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2' 'Hardened' And 'Care Package' Editions Detailed
August 28 2012 3:23 PM
Eurogamer details the contents of Treyarch’s upcoming “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2” special editions, currently available for pre-order at various retail outlets.
- New 'Skyrim' DLC 'Hearthfire' Gets A Release Date And More Details [TRAILER]
August 28 2012 10:40 AM
On September 4, 2012, “Skyrim” players looking to dedicate even more time to the world of “The Elder Scrolls” are in luck – “Hearthfire,” the latest piece of DLC will be hitting Xbox 360.
- Motorola Droid RAZR M 4G LTE Specs Leaked
August 28 2012 10:23 AM
Just one week before Motorola’s September 5 event, the specifications for its new Droid RAZR M 4G LTE phone have been leaked, according to Mashable.
- OnLive CEO Steve Perlman Steps Down, Hands Company Over To Lauder Partners: The Impact On Cloud-Streaming Game Service
August 28 2012 9:59 AM
According to Eurogamer, OnLive founder and CEO Steve Perlman has stepped down as head of the company, making way for new ownership in the form of Lauder Partners, an investment group specializing in technology.
- Wii U Release Date Reportedly Leaked By Gaming Accesory Maker PDP
August 27 2012 4:09 PM
The Wii U will be released Nov. 18, if one is to believe a slip of the tongue from a representative of game accessories maker PDP at a GameStop manager's conference in Texas, Kotaku reports.
- Former Microsoft And Lionhead Developer Peter Molyneux's 'Curiosity' To Be Followed By 'Cooperation'
August 27 2012 2:45 PM
Famed game developer Peter Molyneux is known for his boastful hucksterism, sometimes making promises for his games that just never materialize. He’s currently working on a game that’s been recently retitled “Curiosity” that allows players to tap a cube in the hopes of accessing its mysterious contents, which Molyneux says is “life-changing,” according to Kotaku.
- Microsoft Courting Former OnLive Employees: What Does This Mean For The Next Xbox And Cloud-Based Gaming?
August 25 2012 3:10 PM
According to VentureBeat, Microsoft is courting former OnLive employees now that the game-streaming company has entered a period of restructuring that caused layoffs for multiple employees.
- Kinect 2 Announcement Looming? October Release Date Planned?
August 25 2012 9:45 AM
According to OXM.uk, the next Xbox might be closer to release than most people think. Currently codenamed “Durango,” the new Microsoft console is said to include a packed-in version of the Kinect motion-control system that has revolutionized body-scanning/reading technology.
- Exec On 'One Sony': ‘Entering A Big Bad World Where There Are No Rules’
August 24 2012 11:48 AM
Four months after Sony unveiled its "One Sony" concept to recapture its leading role, Sony has finally offered a glimpse into its practical strategies to streamline integration between different hardware products and media platforms.
- Nintendo Explains Their Wii U 'Miiverse' Social Networking Concept
August 23 2012 11:08 AM
According to a lengthy Kotaku article, Nintendo has begun openly discussing its direction with the Miiverse.
- Partnering With Rock The Vote, The Develper Of 'Infinity Blade' Encourages You To 'Vote!!!'
August 22 2012 3:56 PM
Partnering with Rock The Vote, the developers of the smash-hit mobile game “Infinity Blade” have created “Vote!!!” which encourages players to choose either President Obama or rival candidate Mitt Romney and duke it out for the White House.
- Black Isle, The Company Behind 'Planescape: Torment' And The Original 'Fallout' Making A Comeback
August 22 2012 2:54 PM
Black Isle, the company behind such games as the original post-apocalyptic RPG “Fallout” and “Planescape: Torment” has apparently been revived by Interplay, according to Kotaku.
- Ubisoft, After Enduring 93-95% Piracy Rate On PC Titles, Explores Free-To-Play Model
August 22 2012 11:52 AM
PC gaming is full of piracy. Ubisoft, one of gaming’s premiere game development companies, is no stranger to seeing their material stolen online.
- Wii U Release Date And Price May Be Announced in September
August 21 2012 2:28 PM
According to Kotaku, Nintendo will be holding a press conference on September 13, 2012 in New York. Kotaku reports that in a press invitation sent to various outlets, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime will be on-hand to discuss "more about how the Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment."