Hardware / Software
- OnLive Restructure Detailed, Game-Streaming Company Looking Ahead
August 20 2012 9:57 AM
OnLive, the cloud-streaming online game service, has had its share of difficulties over the past week or so, including potentially having filed for a form of bankruptcy, as well as firing multiple employees.
- Steam's Big Picture Mode To Launch Beta This September
August 17 2012 2:56 PM
Steam’s “Big Picture Mode” is entering beta testing in early September. This basically means that, once all the bugs are worked out, users will be able to stream Valve’s ever-popular content delivery service directly to their television sets, with screens automatically optimized for proper resolution and size.
- Sony's Dilemma: New IP, Cheaper Hardware For Longer Product Life Vs. New Products
August 17 2012 6:23 AM
Sony Corp. is doing its best to maintain Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita performance in the lead-up to next year's anticipated launch of its next-generation console by cutting costs and introducing a wide range of new intellectual property for the rapidly aging devices.
- Windows 8 Trial Version Available For Download; Users Must Reinstall OS On October 26
August 16 2012 4:49 AM
Microsoft released the final version of Windows 8 to MSDN and TechNet subscribers August 15. There is also a 90-day trial version for the general consumers.
- Sony Debuts YouTube App For Playstation 3, Has Remote Control With Smartphones
August 14 2012 3:27 PM
Late in its current-generation life cycle and amidst countless rumors about the upcoming Playstation 4, Sony is finally introducing a native YouTube app to its Playstation 3 gaming console. Is this a sign of Sony's future plans of all-encompassing media integration?
- Xbox 720 Dev Kit 'Durango' Sold On eBay For More Than $20,000
August 13 2012 10:56 AM
Following confirmed reports of an Xbox 720 development kit being used to leak prospective specs for Microsoft's upcoming next-generation console, the device popped up on eBay over the weekend, ultimately selling for $21,000.
- 'Thief 4' Is Being Developed For Next Generation Consoles, Rumored To Launch With Xbox 720 and Playstation 4 -- Report
August 10 2012 11:35 AM
"Thief 4," the long-awaited follow up to the the late-nineties cult stealth action videogame, will be developed for the launch of the next-generation consoles Xbox 720 and Playstation 4, according to a report by the UK branch of Official Xbox Magazine.
- Ouya Closes On Kickstarter, Begins Pre-Orders; Release Date Scheduled For Early April 2013
August 09 2012 6:02 PM
Ouya's Kickstarter campaign finally closed on Thursday morning, and just as Uhrman predicted, Ouya has finally arrived. Gamers, developers and fans looking to pre-order an Ouya can now do so via the company's website. Ouya said the expected release date for its Android-based gaming console is April 2013.
- Valve To Offer Non-Gaming Software On Steam
August 08 2012 4:00 PM
Software and video game developer Valve is opening its digital distribution and gaming service platform Steam to include additional types of software. The new content will begin to arrive on the platform as early as September.
- Microsoft Acknowledges New Xbox Console, Rumored To Be Codenamed 'Durango'
August 06 2012 3:26 PM
Microsoft, which has long refused to confirm the advent of a next-generation Xbox console, has finally confirmed new hardware in development, rumored to be codenamed "Durango."
- Windows 8 OS Final Copy Leaks To File Sharing Sites; Microsoft Remains Mum On Torrent Leak
August 03 2012 5:29 AM
The final copy of the Windows 8 OS has leaked to file sharing sites, The Verge reported. The leaked version appears to be the enterprise edition of the much-awaited OS.
- Does Apple's Mountain Lion Pose A Threat To Cable Service Providers With AirPlay Mirroring?
August 02 2012 4:11 PM
Mountain Lion includes updates to Safari and also incorporates a number of features from its iOS system, but the most important update of all is AirPlay Mirroring. Even though it's not being discussed as much, this is the unique feature to watch out for in the near future.
- Sony Reports $312 Million First-Quarter Loss Following April's Promised Revival: Can 'One Sony' Still Save The Struggling Tech Giant?
August 02 2012 12:26 PM
Sony reported far greater losses than the struggling company initially expected in its latest quarterly report. Still mired in the process of restructuring the company, how will Kazuo Hirai still carry through his vision for "One Sony?"
- Amazon Launches Video App for Apple iPad, But The App Is Still Not Available On Android Tablets Like Nexus 7
August 02 2012 11:34 AM
This week has been good for Apple users who were presented with several options for watching video on their iPad. After the news of Hulu Plus being available on Apple, Amazon announced that Amazon?s video app will also be available for free download on Apple iTunes. The only other tablet that this app was available on was Kindle Fire and there were expectations that it would be made available on android tablets like Nexus 7.
- Microsoft Releases Windows 8 OS To PC Manufacturers; Developers Can Download It From August 15
August 02 2012 7:56 AM
Software Giant Microsoft announced Wednesday that it had released its much-awaited touch-based Windows 8 operating system to manufacturers.
- Oculus Rift, Virtual Reality Gaming Headset, Seeks Kickstarter Funding For Development
August 01 2012 3:46 PM
Video game developers are hailing the Oculus Rift, a hardware attempt at making 3-D and virtual reality gaming accessible and functional for the consumer.
- iPhone?s Soon To Be Launched iOS Robotic Motion Dock Shows Exciting Potential For App Development For iPhone And iPad Touch
July 31 2012 1:40 PM
An ambitious Kickstarter project, brain child of Josh Guyot and JoeBen Bevirt, Galiloe made headlines in April after exceeding its funding goal by more than half a million dollars and getting encouragement by investors and funders. Galileo is an iOS powered Robotic Doc compatible with iPhone and iTouch which enables motion controlling the phone device while Face Timing.
- Ouya, The Android-Powered Kickstarter Console Lands First Major Developer
July 31 2012 10:51 AM
Just days after the Ouya developers announced that their Kickstarter-sponsored console will be launching with OnLive support, Square Enix Japan becomes the first major developer to sign a deal with the Ouya.
- Mountain Lion Downloads Exceed Three Million; Apple Seeds Mountain Lion 10.7.5, iCloud Control Panel With Developers
July 31 2012 4:44 AM
Apple announced Monday that downloads of the latest OS X, Mountain Lion, had exceeded three million in just four days, making it the most successful OS X release in the company's history.
- Xbox 720 Leak: "Durango" Dev Kit Verified As "Genuine" Next-Generation Microsoft Hardware
July 30 2012 11:51 AM
A new investigation confirmed some suspicious rumors about Microsoft's next-generation videogame console, the Xbox 720, following a leak of the console's preliminary software development kit.