PC / Mac / Tablet
- Zynga Lashes Back At EA With Countersuit, Hires Samsung?s Law Firm To Take On Rival Game Developer
September 15 2012 7:46 PM
Tensions between Zynga Inc. (Nasdaq: ZNGA) and Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: EA) exploded all over again Friday as Zynga mustered an aggressive rejoinder to the copyright-infringement lawsuit filed against it by EA last month.
- Amazon Publishing Reveals Sales Numbers In Email
September 14 2012 10:58 AM
After seeing the unprecedented success of a title like "Fifty Shades of Grey," casual readers and publishing industry analysts alike were led to wonder what the future of digital publishing held for the book industry as Amazon Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) continues to edge out traditional publishing houses and retailers alike with its aggressive competitive pricing scheme. In an email sent to literary agents unearthed by GigaOM on Thursday, Amazon Publishing Vice President Jeff Belle revealed some ...
- Microsoft Santa Comes Calling; Free Surface Tablets, Work PCs, Windows Phone 8 Devices For Employees
September 14 2012 7:06 AM
After the iPhone 5 euphoria, it's back to Goliath Microsoft. The Redmond-software giant seems to have ushered in Christmas in Fall by deciding to distribute free surface RT tablet, Windows Phone 8 device and a refreshed Windows 8 work machine, Geek Wire reported.
- Sean Smith, US Official Killed In Libya, Was A Longtime 'EVE Online' Player
September 12 2012 11:49 AM
Sean Smith, one of the four Americans killed in Libya, was a longtime "EVE Online" player, and hugely influential in the game's online world.
- Zynga (ZNGA) Stock Price Jumpstarted By Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook Comments
September 12 2012 10:58 AM
In his first public appearance following his social media company's disastrous IPO in May, Mark Zuckerberg's address at Tuesday's TechCrunch Disrupt helped boost the shares price of Facebook's (Nasdaq: FB) close partner Zynga (Nasdaq: ZNGA), which has retained its prominence on the social network's app marketplace despite continuing financial woes and a seemingly endless round of executive departures. Zynga reached a recent stock high in mid-morning morning trading on Wednesday, f...
- Steam Greenlight: Valve Announces First Round Of Top Indie Games, Steps Further Into User-Generated Publishing Model
September 11 2012 5:46 PM
Always a fan of user-generated content and community-oriented software development, Valve Corp. released the list for its first round of independent games from its new "Steam Greenlight" program on Wednesday. Titles include "Black Mesa," "Cry of Fear," "Dream," "Heroes & Generals," and "Kenshi," all of which ranked at the top of the community's most popular titles on the new Greenlight platform.
- Mountain Lion OS X New Version Likely To Solve Laptop Battery Life Issues
September 11 2012 8:32 AM
A new set of tests published Sept.10 showed that MacBook battery life increased significantly with a developer build of OS X Mountain Lion, with the recent beta version enabling an 85-minute increase from current 10.8.1, AppleInsider reported.
- Apple UDID Leaks: BlueToad Breaks Silence On Hacking Attack; Owns Up As Source For Incident
September 11 2012 7:26 AM
In a clearly worded acknowledgement, digital publishing firm BlueToad confirmed that it was the source of Apple UDID leaks reported last week, Reuters reported.
- Steam 'Big Picture Mode' Enters Beta: What This Means For Valve's Future Hardware
September 10 2012 4:18 PM
Following a slew of announcements about Valve Corporation expanding beyond game development and distribution into general software and hardware possibilities, Steam is officially releasing a beta version of its "Big Picture Mode" today. Showing a sleek and innovative approach to a television-based user interface, the new version of Steam raises questions about the future of PC game development.
- HP Unveils Four New All-In-One Windows 8 Desktops
September 10 2012 7:19 AM
Hewlett-Packard launched four all-in-one PCs Monday running on Windows 8. The new desktop line-up includes HP Envy 23, HP Envy 20, HP SpectreOne and HP Pavilion 20.
- Kindle Fire HD Ad Opt-Outs To Cost $15; Amazon Reverses Policy On Forced Ads
September 09 2012 8:01 AM
Amazon's Kindle Fire launched Sept.6, appears to be making news for more wrong reasons than right. After news of the device lacking FCC approval for sale hit anxious customers Friday, the company seems to offer interested parties some respite as it appears to have reversed policy on the forced ads.
- Tech And Gaming Channel G4 To Get A GQ-Inspired Facelift, Here Are Some Programming Ideas For The New G4
September 07 2012 12:04 PM
G4, a channel that has established itself as a premier destination for all things geek culture is apparently going to undergo a bit of a change. NBC/Universal is looking to shift the channel from its nerdy roots to a more mature, GQ-inspired look.
- Square Enix Declares Own Cloud Gaming Portal 'Selfish', Discusses OnLive Situation
September 07 2012 10:49 AM
Square Enix’s cloud-based gaming portal Core Online was born out of a “selfish” need to grab more gamers, according to the company. While Square Enix would obviously want more people to enjoy their various titles including the upcoming “Hitman: Absolution” and “Tomb Raider,” the company also offers browser-based versions of games like “Mini Ninjas” and “Hitman: Blood Money.”
- AAPL: Apple Scrip Continues To Surge As New Amazon Tablet Makes Debut; iPad Mini, Ecosystem To Provide Apple With Convincing Lead
September 07 2012 4:01 AM
As Amazon (AMZN) launched its much-awaited Kindle Fire Thursday attracting rave reviews, its top competitor Apple (AAPL) posted gains in the street ending the day at $676.27, gaining $6.04, almost 1 percent higher than the previous close.
- How The New Amazon Kindle Fire HD Compares To Apple iPad; Amazon Announcement Impresses Critics
September 06 2012 6:45 PM
Thursday's Amazon announcement surrounding the Kindle Fire HD is alsmot certain to cause headaches for Apple designers behind the iPad. The new Kindle Fire HD gives customers an alternative option from the hugely popular Apple device.
- Ubisoft Abandons DRM For PC Games: What This Means For Consumers
September 05 2012 5:39 PM
Ubisoft Entertainment announced on Wednesday that it is abandoning its always-online digital rights management (DRM) practices for PC games, ending a long battle between the software publisher and its critics and consumers over the controversial anti-piracy measure.
- Capcom Unveils New Strategy In Attempt To Raise Profits
September 05 2012 11:36 AM
Capcom, who has been facing tumbling revenue over the past few quarters, has come up with a plan to turn things around. These plans include smaller development teams and shorter development schedules.
- 'Angry Birds' Sequel 'Bad Piggies' Gets A Release Date
September 04 2012 10:54 AM
After slaughtering countless green piggies in the quest to secure the stolen eggs, the birds of Rovio’s smash hit (no pun intended) “Angry Birds” will be taking a back seat to the pigs this time around with the game’s sequel.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Officially Revealed: Full List Of Specs And Features Confirmed; Did The Rumors Hold Up? [VIDEO]
August 29 2012 6:04 PM
Samsung has officially announced its Galaxy Note 2, the successor to the Korea-based manufacturer's widely successful Galaxy Note device. As expected, Samsung unveiled the smartphone-tablet hybrid just ahead of IFA, which starts on Friday in Berlin.
- LulzSec Hacker Cuffed By FBI In Connection To Attack On Sony Pictures
August 29 2012 3:32 PM
A second hacker wanted in connection to LulzSec’s attack on Sony Pictures has been arrested by the FBI according to VentureBeat.