Texas A&M University’s chapter of Sigma Nu has come under fire after a student was found this weekend unresponsive in the fraternity's house. CBS DFW reported that the unidentified 19-year-old student died from a drug overdose. The College Station police announced that the student was found early Saturday.
A 911 caller told dispatch that the young man had ingested some type of opioid, local news outlet KBTX reported. The night before the student’s death, an officer was dispatched to the house at 8:45 p.m. for a noise compliant and issued a warning. The officer said that at the time there were about 50-60 people at the fraternity house while he was present.
After the discovery of the death, police searched of the house and determined that there were other drugs on the premises, resulting in the arrest of four young men. The males who ages range from 18 to 21 were arrested for having drug paraphernalia and possession.
Samuel Patterson, 21, and Michael Frymire, 20, were charged with possession of a controlled substance. Patterson was accused of having fewer than 20 units of LSD and less than one gram of MDMA (Ecstasy). Frymire allegedly had less than one gram of hash oil. Meanwhile, Christian Sandford, 18, and Ty Robertson, 21, were charged with possession of marijuana.
Sigma Nu Executive Director Brad Beacham released a statement sending condolences to the family of the deceased student and announced that the fraternity will assist the local authorities with the investigation as much as possible. Beacham said, “We will be working with Texas A&M officials to provide as much continuing support as possible to those affected.”
The incident is still under investigation. Texas A&M University is offering counseling services for students who may be battling substance abuse which is believed to be the case in the recent death.