Thousands of mourners and residents gathered into a neighborhood courtyard in Brooklyn on Wednesday evening for the funeral of eight-year-old Leibby Kletzky who was dismembered and killed this week while returning home from camp.

Levi Aron, the suspect in the dismemberment of Leibby Kletzky of Brooklyn, was officially charged with murder Wednesday night.

On Wednesday, body parts of Kletzky were discovered in both the refrigerator of 35-year-old Aron and in a dumpster about 2 miles away from Aron's residence.

Kletzky’s funeral was held in Yiddish, which swelled to capacity before its start time at 8:30, prompting many of the thousands who could not get in to gather behind police barricades, crowding neighborhood streets, the New York Times reported.

Around 8,000 people attended the funeral, one of the Shomrim, a local security patrol group said.

Throngs of police officers and members of Shomrim, kept order as visitors gathered near the courtyard, within two blocks of where the boy lived.

“We need to separate like the Red Sea so the family can get through,” one of the police officials announced.

The funeral came after the family learned the news that their son, who disappeared on Monday, was murdered on Wednesday night.

Kletzky went missing on Monday afternoon. He was on his way home (walking by himself) from summer camp for the first time and got lost. He then approached Aron, who had just made a payment to a dental office nearby, likely to ask for directions home.

Kletzky’s parents later reported him missing, and surveillance footage later showed him in the company of a man the police identified as Levi Aron, 35, a local supply store clerk, the New York Times reported.

After the boy went missing on Monday, Aron was soon identified through the aid of a surveillance camera tape. When the police tracked him down and busted through his apartment on Wednesday, Aron confessed to the murder.

He directed the police to the boy's remains in the refrigerator and then pointed them to the dump. He explained that he killed the boy because he panicked when he found out that the police were searching for the boy.

Must Read: Sick Levi Aron confesses killing Brooklyn Boy Leiby Kletzky, lawyer claims he 'hears voices (PHOTOS)