The Thanksgiving season is just around the corner and it is no surprise that airports will be busier than usual during this season.
According to Orbitz, a leading online travel company, the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Chicago's O'Hare International Airport (ORD) and the Orlando International (MCO) will be the nation's busiest. This is the latter's first time on this list.
On Thursday, Orbitz released the latest reports, which suggests that two airports in California - the Mineta San Jose International (SJC) and the John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County - as well as Kahului Airport on the Hawaiian island of Maui will be among the least crowded with holiday travelers.
To help travelers easily navigate crowds over the holiday season, the travel site released the Orbitz Insider Index for Thanksgiving 2011 that identifies the ten busiest and least busy U.S. airports for travel between Nov. 23 and Nov. 27, 2011.
The Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) and Atlanta's Hartsfield International (ATL) dropped off the busiest airports list this year, while Sacramento International (SMF) airport in the Northern California Bay region lands on the list of least busy airports, offering a viable re-route alternative for travelers in the area looking to avoid crowds.
As in previous years, the three main airports serving the New York metropolitan area - the John F. Kennedy International (JFK), LaGuardia (LGA) and the Newark Liberty International (EWR) - are expected to be among the 10 busiest airports in the country for the Thanksgiving period.
Top Ten Busiest Airports in the U.S. for Thanksgiving
1. Los Angeles International, Los Angeles, CA
2. Chicago O'Hare International, Chicago, IL
3. Orlando International, Orlando, FL
4. San Francisco International, San Francisco, CA
5. Boston Logan International, Boston, MA
6. New York LaGuardia, New York, NY
7. Denver International, Denver, CO
8. John F. Kennedy International, New York, NY
9. Newark Liberty International, Newark, NJ
10. Seattle-Tacoma International, Seattle, WA
Top Ten Least Busy Airports in the U.S. for Thanksgiving
1. Mineta San Jose International, San Jose, CA
2. Kahului Airport, Maui, HI
3. John Wayne Airport, Santa Ana, CA
4. Jacksonville International, Jacksonville, FL
5. Sacramento International, Sacramento, CA
6. Palm Beach International, Palm Beach, FL
7. Bradley International, Hartford, CT
8. San Antonio International, San Antonio, TX
9. Cleveland Hopkins International, Cleveland, OH
10. Port Columbus International, Columbus, OH