- According to a new report by McAfee, titled "Threats Report: Second Quarter 2012 report," mobile malware increased 700 percent over the last year, mostly targeting Android. Symbian was at the second spot.
AAPL: Apple Stock's Marginal Loss Tests Nokia, Motorola, Samsung Phone Launches; Sept.12 Event Looks Promising With iPhone 5 ReleaseApple (AAPL) stock closed Sept.5 at $670.23 losing 4.74 points ending 0.70% lower than the previous close. The marginal fall indicates that Apple is not heavily impacted by the new phone launches from competitors Nokia, Motorola and Samsung.
- Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), the No. 1 search engine, which now owns the Motorola brand, refreshed its product line with three new members of the Razr brand line in a bid to recapture past success. They’re the first major new lines since Google completed the $12.5 billion acquisition of the former Motorola Mobility in May.
Nokia’s Windows Phone 8 Release Features NFC, Wireless Charging And More, Will It Compare To The iPhone 5 And Samsung Galaxy S3?Nokia and Microsoft held a joint press conference on Sept. 5 in New York to officially unveil new Windows Phone 8 devices. Nokia announced its flagship smartphone known as the Lumia 920, which has received some noticeable upgrades in the specs department.
- Despite taking the wraps off its anticipated Lumia smartphones using the new Windows 8 from Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, Nokia’s shares plunged 11 percent after CEO Stephen Elop claimed, “We need to succeed with this and take it to the next step.”
- On the heels of a positive first quarter, the Western European mobile phone market failed to maintain a positive trend, due to a weaker economic environment and the new product launches expected in the third quarter, said a new report by market research firm IDC. The total shipments of devices dropped 1.9 percent year on year to 42.1 million units.
- Turning long-running speculations into fact, Apple sent out invitations Tuesday, confirming a special media event related to the next iPhone, aka "iPhone 5," in San Francisco on Sept. 12. The event is scheduled to take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts at 10 am PT.
- What is Kik? This article provides an answer to this question, which many people are finding themselves asking as they learn about the newest social networks and electronic communication technologies on the market.
- After slaughtering countless green piggies in the quest to secure the stolen eggs, the birds of Rovio’s smash hit (no pun intended) “Angry Birds” will be taking a back seat to the pigs this time around with the game’s sequel.
- Bellevue, Wash.-based Valve, the software developer behind the critically-acclaimed Half-Life series, the Steam network for distributing games and the Source engine, is reportedly interested in building hardware. Valve, which was founded by two former Microsoft employees in Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington, added a job posting to its site on Tuesday morning for an industrial designer.
- The world’s most populous country will become its biggest smartphone market by year-end, market researcher IDC estimates. It may account for 26.5 percent of all shipments compared with only 17.8 percent for the U.S.
- UK phone network Orange and Barclaycard announced Monday that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be the first Android smartphone to feature Quick Tap contactless mobile payment technology starting Wednesday, Sept. 5.
- In July Microsoft fans got a glimpse of some back up options set to come with Windows Phone 8 when the SDK leaked, but until now there was no indication of how the options would work. But now, sources close to Microsoft have revealed more information about its plans for Windows Phone 8, reports The Verge.
- Samsung has just officially announced it's Galaxy Note 2 just before IFA began in Berlin in Friday, and the Korea-based manufacturer has already showcased a line of accessories for the device.
Baidu Releases Android Mobile Browser For Web Games, Plans $1.6-Billion Investment In Cloud ComputingBaidu Inc (BIDU) has launched a new browser for mobile devices running on Android operating system that allows users to play games and watch videos without a media player, Bloomberg has reported.
- The South Korean tech giant was highly expected to release its own cloud service, the "S Cloud," alongside Galaxy S3 in May, but it didn't happen. However, it appears that the company is now set to unveil the service with Galaxy Note 2 as a hands-on video from German site BestBoyZ showed S Cloud in the device's settings menu.
- Samsung is going to release Galaxy Victory 4G LTE, a mid-ranged Android smartphone that would be powered by a Qualcomm S4 processor, according to a report.
Apple iPhone 5: Fully Assembled New iPhone Mockup Spotted At IFA 2012; Taiwanese Pop Star Posts Pictures [VIDEO]With the next gen Apple iPhone widely believed to be just days away, a new video has reportedly appeared at the IFA 2012 trade show in Berlin, showing a handset that claims to be a mockup of the fully assembled Apple iPhone 5.
- The Sphero is a new kind of toy that tries to blend virtual gaming with physical toys in what its creators call "mixed reality." But before it does that, co-creator Ian Bernstein wants users to become more friendly with their machines.
- Thanks to strong end-user demand for lower-priced smartphones, China, the largest market for smartphones this year, will overtake the US as the global leader in smartphone shipments in 2012, according to a new report by IDC.