Articles by Egypt
- The Christian Dilemma In Syria
August 02 2012 3:25 PM
While the world considers the broader regional implications of the Syria crisis, the status and position of religious minorities is becoming an increasingly important issue.
- US Passes New Iran Sanctions, Israel Doubts They Will Change Anything
August 02 2012 1:01 PM
The U.S. Congress passed new sanctions against Iran's oil and nuclear program on Wednesday evening, but Israeli officials remain unconvinced that the sanctions will have the desired effect.
- Egyptian President's Conciliatory Letter To Israel A Fake - Or Is It?
August 01 2012 5:33 PM
A spokesman for Egyptian President Morsi said a letter supposedly sent to Israeli President Peres was fake and reports of it were "slander."
- US Pledges Support For Tunisia Amid Rising Extremism
August 01 2012 5:08 AM
U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta praised Tunisia's transition to democracy Monday and said the U.S. is prepared to provide the country with economic and military support.
- Egypt President Promises To Exert 'Best Efforts' For Peace With Israel
July 31 2012 3:04 PM
Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy today sent a letter for Israeli President Shimon Peres pledging his support to the Mid-East peace process and to the '79 treaty with Israel.
- After The Arab Spring Revolutions, Middle Eastern Countries Bring New Zeal To Olympic Games
July 30 2012 7:28 PM
For some post-revolution competitors, this year's Summer Olympic Games will be more important than those of years past.
- Chaos In The Court! The Inner Workings Of Egypt’s Puzzling Judiciary
July 28 2012 1:15 PM
Want to really understand the post-revolution process in Egypt? Look to the men who are passing judgments behind everyone's back.
- Dubai Warns Of Muslim Brotherhood 'Plot' In Gulf States
July 27 2012 12:34 PM
Dubai's police chief Dahi Khalfan has warned that Islamists are plotting to overthrow the governments of Gulf Arab states, following a recent spate of arrests of political dissidents.
- Mitt Romney Makes 'Disconcerting' Olympic Gaffe In London
July 26 2012 4:15 PM
Mitt Romney caused a scandal before his first diplomatic trip to London when he referred to the preparation for the Olympic Games as “disconcerting.”
- Gaza Paralympian Dreams Of Glory While Palestinian Athletes Seek First Medal In London
July 25 2012 3:11 PM
Mahmoud Abu Ghanima lost his legs in a drone missile attack, but that hasn't stopped him from pursuing Olympic dreams -- while his fellow Palestinian athletes seek glory in London for a country that does not quite exist
- IMF Welcomes Sudan Austerity But Urges More Reforms
July 25 2012 8:21 AM
Sudan must press ahead with reforms to ensure its economic stability, an International Monetary Fund mission said on Wednesday, while welcoming the country's recent moves including scaling back its fuel subsidies and devaluing its currency.
- Taiwan’s Path Towards Democracy Could Serve As Model For Egypt
July 25 2012 4:55 AM
Thirty years ago (ironically, about the same time Mubarak seized power in Egypt), the Taiwanese initiated the path towards forming a democratic state.
- Egypt President Appoints Prime Minister To Form New Government
July 24 2012 8:25 AM
Mursi has already endured a number of setbacks since his poll triumph
- Before The Attack: Why Israeli Tourists Flocked To Bulgaria
July 20 2012 6:23 AM
Bulgaria is a surprisingly popular destination for Israeli travelers.
- Ramadan Reflects Struggle For Democracy In Muslim World
July 20 2012 6:21 AM
As the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins, the Islamic world will have much to reflect upon this year. In Syria, a civil war looms if it hasn't already arrived. In Egypt, a fledgling democracy is being tested. In Afghanistan, an exhaustive American war is coming to a dubious end.
- Omar Suleiman Dies; Egypt’s Ex-Vice President, Spymaster And Mubarak Crony
July 19 2012 6:12 PM
Omar Suleiman former VP of Egypt and a close aid to Hosni Mubarak, died on the early hours of Thursday. According to state news agency MENA, he died of a sudden heart attack after suffering heart and lung problems. Preparations are under way to bring his body home for burial.
- China Offers Billions For Africa, Hits Back At Western Critics
July 19 2012 2:52 PM
China uses Africa conference as an opportunity to respond to foreign criticisms of its expanding relations with the continent.
- Alois Brunner: The Nazi War Criminal Who Found A Home In Syria
July 18 2012 2:30 PM
The Syrian regime repeatedly thwarted efforts by Israel and European governments (including Germany, France and Austria) to extradite Brunner for decades, sometimes even denying he was in the country.
- Pre-Opening Soy Complex Market Report
July 18 2012 11:12 AM
November soybeans were trading down 6 cents near 7:30 cst this morning. China soybean futures were down slightly overnight and Malaysia palm oil futures were down 2.2% to push to a near 3-week low. Share prices in China were mixed to weaker despite a recovery in Chinese home price readings. Apparently some investors saw positive economic data in China, as a development that could derail additional stimulus efforts in China. European shares were slightly higher as decent earnings news provided a ...
- A Trillion Dollars And Counting: How Egypt's New President Will Boost Islamic Banking
July 18 2012 6:14 AM
Banking in line with the Koran's prohibition on paying interest is an expanding sector, and the ascent of the Muslim Brotherhood to power in Egypt is going to help it grow faster.