- The Russian government Friday arrested opposition leader / political activist Garry Kasparov outside the Moscow courthouse where the trial for punk rock band 'Pussy Riot' was held.
Pre-Market Movers (ArcelorMittal, Nokia, Frontline, Barclays, Facebook, Idenix Pharmaceuticals, VIVUS, Knight Capital Group)ArcelorMittal, Nokia Corp, Frontline Ltd, Barclays PLC, Facebook Inc, Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc, VIVUS Inc and Knight Capital Group Inc are among the companies whose shares are moving in pre-market trading Friday.
- The widely successful camera app Instagram has just received a new update that will incorporate location-based tags. The function, known as Photo Mapping, has rolled out to both Android and iOS-based iterations of the app.
- Trading in U.S. stocks has been going on at a snail's pace recently, a fact market-watchers are blaming on policy uncertainty, but could also be the result of investors fed up with the fragmented, unpredictable nature of the market.
IBTimes Interview: Dennis Crowley, Foursquare CEO, On How His App That Made 'Checking-In' Cool Is EvolvingDennis Crowley, Foursquare Co-Founder and CEO, discusses the most recent iteration of the app, rolled out in early June, what went into the process of creating it and why the Foursquare app is more than just about publicly announcing one's location.
Apple iOS 6 Features: Users ‘Disappointed’ Without YouTube App, Google Maps Upgraded As iPhone 5 Release ApproachesThe release date for Apple’s iOS 6 is less than a month away, with the upcoming iPhone 5 expected to launch around the same time. Users may be excited about features such as the new map app from Apple, but there is one app that fans will be missing for certain: YouTube.
- Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, plunged more than 5 percent when the market opened Thursday, as insiders were free to unload as many as 241 million shares.
Pre-Market Movers (Electronic Arts, Coinstar, Cisco Systems, Netflix, Frontline, Knight Capital Group, Facebook, Nokia)Electronic Arts Inc, Coinstar Inc, Cisco Systems Inc, Netflix Inc, Frontline Ltd, Knight Capital Group Inc, Facebook Inc and Nokia Corp are among the companies whose shares are moving in pre-market trading Thursday.
- Thursday frees holders of as many as 271 million shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, to sell them for the first time since the first-day trading fiasco on May 18, when shares that had been priced at $38 first traded at $42.05, then didn’t trade for 30 minutes and closed at $38.23.
- EA Games is transforming "Command & Conquer" into a free-to-play multiplayer game, while Zynga revealed plans to publish partnered content being distributed in a more traditional publishing model than the one it pioneered.
- Alexa Dell, the daughter of Dell, Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) CEO Michael Dell, had her Twitter account taken down after sharing an Instagram photo on the Tumblr Rich Kids Of Instagram.
- Hank The Cat released a new ad as part of his ongoing campaign for an open Virginia Senate seat, and it's message is clear: the humans don't deserve the job.
- Any trial in U.S. District Court of the more than 50 shareholder lawsuits alleging fraud by Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, and its underwriters could be as much as five months away, lawyers said.
- The "announcement" of Paul Ryan as Mitt Romney's official running mate in the 2012 presidential elections has officially shaken up race leading up to November. Suddenly, the conversation has shifted from tax returns and jobs to healthcare and the future of Medicaid. There is one man that could provide some perspective on Ryan, his proposals, and his history, and that man happens to be Ryan's congressional opponent in Wisconsin, democrat Rob Zerban.
- The PSA, produced almost 20 years ago by Ray Bjork Elementary School, advocates for Internet access at schools, with youngsters asking, "Why should I be on the Internet?" The answers may surprise you.
iPhone 5 LTE Rumor Likely To Become A Reality: Apple Reportedly Talks To Korean Carriers, Foxconn Gears Up For Mass Production In Indonesia [FEATURES]Apple’s iPhone 5 is rumored for a Sept.21 release date, and the Internet has not stopped buzzing about potential features, alleged leaks and speculation. Although it is nearly certain that the upcoming iPhone 5 will support 4G LTE connectivity, there is now more evidence to back up this claim.
- A prominent Shi'ite clan in Lebanon announced Wednesday it has kidnapped more than 20 Syrian nationals in retaliation for the alleged abduction in Damascus of one of their own by members of the Free Syrian Army. Meanwhile, a bomb was detonated in Damascus.
- Farrah Abraham best recognized from being on "Teen Mom" after becoming pregnant with her daughter Sophia while she was still a teenager, answered questions live on Ustream via Twitter while the newest episode of "Teen Mom" premiered on MTV.
- Qantas and Virgin Australia Airlines have recently been criticized for their seating policy, which prohibits adult men from sitting next to unaccompanied minors.
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion has out for about three weeks now, and millions of downloads later, it looks like Apple is getting ready to release the first major maintenance update for the new platform. Apple seeded OS X 10.8.1 to developers on Friday, but what exactly is Apple planning to fix in 10.8.1? Here are 4 major bugs, errors and issues that Apple definitely needs to fix in the 10.8.1 update.