Articles by Iceland
- Alien Invasion a Threat to Antarctic Ecosystem
March 06 2012 10:05 AM
In the pristine frozen continent of Antarctica scientists fear an alien invasion -- not from outer space, but carried in people's pockets and bags.
- Ex Iceland PM Haarde First World Leader in Court Over 2008 Financial Crisis
March 05 2012 11:04 AM
Geir Haarde presided over the Iceland's economic meltdown which saw the collapse its three main banks, its currency nosedive and soaring inflation, costing the country billions of dollars.
- On-Screen Boozing Tied to Kids' Binge Drinking
March 05 2012 9:08 AM
How much drinking kids and teens had seen in recent movies was linked to the chances they overdid it on alcohol themselves in a new study from six European countries.
- WikiLeaks Reveals Stratfor's Exclusive Glossary
February 27 2012 2:34 PM
Following the controversial release of over five million private emails by online anti-secrecy organization WikiLeaks, global intelligence company Stratfor undoubtedly has some explaining to do. The emails reveal all sorts of information including details regarding sources, operations and miscellaneous gossip. But, perhaps most peculiar is one specific document circulated among employees in 2007. The document, titled The Stratfor Glossary of Useful, Baffling and Strange Intelligence Terms.
- Gold and Silver Report - Greek Drama & Icelandic Saga
February 21 2012 11:27 AM
The long-awaited Eurogroup rescue package for Greece was finally agreed to in Brussels this morning and European equity markets promptly headed...lower (?!) in the wake of the news. The EU/ECB/IMF trio is into the Greek rescue by almost a half a trillion dollars at this point, and the latest life-preserver contains what is being labeled as a 'significant contribution' by the IMF. This was another, fairly typical display of selling the news and it prompted one Commerzbank st...
- Iceland's Financial Watchdog Sacks Director Gunnar Andersen
February 19 2012 12:49 AM
Iceland's Financial Surveillance Authority (FME) said on Saturday it had sacked director Gunnar Andersen following a report into his time as an executive at failed bank Landsbanki. Daily Morgunbladid quoted Andersen as saying he would forcefully fight for his job and denying any wrongdoing.
- Top 5 Airports in the World
February 17 2012 6:41 AM
The Airport Council International has announced the list of the top airports in the world.
- ‘Iceland Worm Monster’: Video Proof of Iceland’s Loch Ness?
February 09 2012 10:27 AM
The Iceland worm monster Lagarfljótsormurinn (Lagarfljót) is Iceland's answer to the Loch Ness Monster, but is it real? One man claims to have video proof.
- WikiLeaks: Bradley Manning Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize by Icelandic Parliamentarian
February 07 2012 12:25 PM
Bradley Manning has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Icelandic MP Birgitta Jónsdóttir for his contribution to WikiLeaks.
- World’s Worst Airport Terminals [PHOTOS]
January 27 2012 10:41 AM
What are the world’s worst airport terminals? Here’s a hint: five of them are in the U.S.
- Save Whales by Hunting Them? New Controversial Proposal
January 12 2012 4:42 PM
In an unexpected pitch, a trio of whale conservationists proposed Thursday the previously unthinkable to protect the world's largest creatures: Put a price tag on whales to save them.
- Punk’d Returning to MTV: Who Should Host Revival of Ashton Kutcher Prank Show?
December 19 2011 4:41 PM
Kutcher is only returning as executive producer, not host.
- Greenland Shark That Eats Polar Bears Filmed by Diver [VIDEO]
December 15 2011 11:00 AM
One diver filmed a shark rarely seen in the deep blue known as the Greenland shark, capturing a video of one of the largest species of shark which eats polar bears and can live up to 200 years.
- Global Warming 'Anomaly' in 2010 Triggered 100 Billion Tons of Ice Loss, Rise in Sea Level in Greenland: Study
December 14 2011 4:09 AM
Data obtained from approximately 50 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) in Greenland indicates massive quantities of ice loss in the country's southern region, which researchers suggest is the result of unusual warming patterns in 2010.
- Ash Detector AVOID Could Prevent Future Travel Chaos
December 08 2011 6:01 PM
EasyJet successfully tested a new ash detector system called AVOID on Wednesday that could put an end to future travel chaos in the wake of volcanic eruptions.
- Katla Volcano Eruption Fears Played Down by Icelandic Scientists and Tourism Officials
December 02 2011 3:35 PM
Scientists and tourism officials in Iceland claim recent reports, which say that an eruption of the Katla Volcano is imminent, simply aren't true.
- Year 2011: Best Photographs From Around the World
November 25 2011 7:35 AM
The year 2011 is coming on an end and as the year comes closer to its last days; it’s time for us to look back at the happenings in the previous 12 months.
- Weekly Summary in USD, EUR, GBP, JPY, CAD and MXN
November 21 2011 1:50 PM
Fragile investor confidence in global sovereign debt was dealt another blow overnight by reports that the US Super Committee has failed to reach an agreement on plans for budget cuts totaling at least USD1.2 trillion. The failure to reach an agreement between the Republicans and Democrats should result in the imposition of automatic cuts to domestic and defense spending totaling USD1.2 trillion, which are set to take effect from 2013.
- The Funniest Tourism Campaign Videos on the Planet
November 15 2011 11:33 AM
Dance, sing, and laugh your way around the world with these hysterical videos.
- Quebec Settlers Accelerated Human Evolution, Researchers Find
November 03 2011 2:06 PM
Settlers to the New World had certain advantages -choice land, abundant resources, and according to new research, an evolutionary advantage that spread the pioneer's genes more and further than later immigrants.