Articles by Iceland
- Income Inequality Lowers U.S. Rank in U.N. Human Development Index
November 02 2011 11:56 AM
Although the U.S. ranks fourth in overall human development, when the scale is adjusted to account for income, health and education inequality, it falls to 23.
- PIMCO's Gross: U.S. Banks Need More Capitalization
November 02 2011 2:00 AM
U.S. banks have not done enough to ensure they are well capitalized, and getting back to a system where retail and investment banking are separated would be attractive in terms of reform, Bill Gross, manager of the world's largest bond fund, said on Tuesday.
- U.S. Is 4th in Business Friendliness; 27th in Social Justice: Studies
October 31 2011 11:43 AM
Americans are enormously proud of their country, and frequently boast that the country is better than all of the rest. But two new studies offer a counter-argument to the aforementioned, at least regarding the ease of doing business and the goal of social justice.
- WikiLeaks Suspends Work Following Financial Blockade
October 24 2011 11:28 PM
On Monday, WikiLeaks, the whistleblower Web site, said it was temporarily stopping publication of classified documents and focusing on survival in the face of funding blockades.
- ‘Financial Blockade’ Forces Wikileaks to Suspend Releasing Secret Files
October 24 2011 5:23 PM
Wikileaks, a whistle-blowing Web site known for releasing secret government files, on Monday said it is suspending its publication in order to seek funding to sustain its work. Wikileaks has been forced to shift focus toward fundraising because 95 percent of its revenue has been destroyed.
- Exploring (Un)Frozen Regions- A Bright Side to Global Warming?
October 18 2011 5:17 PM
Human activity in melting regions.
- Air Travel Resumes in South America after Chilean Ash Cloud Disperses
October 18 2011 10:09 AM
Air travel has resumed in South America after an ash cloud from Chile's Puyehue Volcano grounded flights.
- Iceland Volcano Katla Sparks Fears of Travel Chaos
October 13 2011 4:14 PM
Iceland's Katla Volcano is showing signs of an impending eruption, sparking fears of travel chaos much worse than 2010's Eyjafjallajokull eruption.
- Former Miss Iceland got $2 million reward in Bulger case
October 10 2011 8:34 PM
A former Miss Iceland who met Boston crime boss James Whitey Bulger and his girl friend in California was paid a $2 million reward for the tip that led to Bulger's arrest in June, the Boston Globe said on Sunday.
- Anna Bjornsdottir Named as James ‘Whitey’ Bulger Tipster, Could be In Danger
October 10 2011 6:58 PM
Anna Bjornsdottir, a former Miss Iceland 1974, has been publicly named as the tipster who led to arrest of fugitive James Whitey Bulger. She has received a $2 million reward for turning in the notorious gangster.
- Former Miss Iceland Outed James 'Whitey' Bulger: Report
October 10 2011 11:47 AM
The tipseter who reportedly got $2 million in reward money for handing over information that led to the location of Boston crime boss James Whitey Bulger was apparently a former Miss Iceland, Anna Bjornsdottir. Bjornsdottir had reportedly been living in both Iceland and Santa Monica, where Bulger, 82, was living with his girlfriend, Catherine Greig, 60, according to a report from CBS station WBZ.
- John Lennon at 71: Yoko Ono Live-Streams Imagine Peace Tower Ceremony Today
October 09 2011 4:37 PM
Yoko Ono, Lennon's widow, is live-streaming today the annual lighting of the Imagine Peace Tower, a memorial art piece dedicated to the former Beatles musician,.
- Occupy Wall Street Protesters Plot an Expansion in New York
October 08 2011 7:25 PM
What started as a protest to occupy Wall Street seems to have turned into a protest that wants to occupy more New York locations.
- Occupy Wall Street Protesters Attacked Police, NYPD Commissioner Says
October 07 2011 3:56 PM
As the Occupy Wall Street movement continues to spread across the country, the protestors in the place where it all started, New York City, are being blamed for the recent clashes with police, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
- Herman Cain Tells 'Occupy Wall Street' Protesters They Only Have Themselves to Blame [VIDEO]
October 05 2011 3:00 PM
As the Occupy Wall Street movement spreads across the country and the GOP presidential race heats up, the two have sort of merged, with Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain telling the protestors if they don't have a job, it's their own doing.
- Michael Lewis Sees Messy End for Greece
October 04 2011 10:23 PM
Greece will default on its debts, Ireland could too and Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou and German Chancellor Angela Merkel will be forced out as Europe's financial crisis plays out, author Michael Lewis predicted on Tuesday.
- Japan Vows to Hunt Whales, Despite Opposition from Environmentalists, Australia
October 04 2011 10:53 AM
Typically, Japanese whaling vessels sail to the Antarctic in late autumn and return the following spring.
- Occupy Wall Street Movement Spreads Nationwide, Ends Up in San Francisco
September 30 2011 10:55 AM
Their goal was this: 'Move in' and Occupy Wall Street for a little bit, flood lower Manhattan with peaceful protestors and fill it with bedding and kitchens and demonstration signs. Their motive was to show that 'We the 99% are fed up with the greed and corruption of the 1%.
- Real Madrid News: Ronaldo to Build Off Recent Hat Trick Against Ajax on Tuesday
September 26 2011 3:30 PM
Real Madrid faces Ajax in Champions League group play action.
- Real Madrid - Ajax : Prediction and Preview for Tuesday's Champion's League Match
September 26 2011 2:11 AM
Los Galacticos are coming off a 6-2 victory over Rayo Vallecano