- Finance, Oil Ministries Push for Fuel Price Increase
September 06 2012 12:21 AM
The finance and oil ministries are lobbying for an increase in prices of diesel, kerosene and LPG, warning cabinet colleagues that time is running out to avert a fiscal disaster and a sovereign credit downgrade to junk by global ratings agencies.
- Diamond Smuggler In Sri Lanka Swallows Precious Stone: It’s Not Just Drug Mules Who Try To Eat The Evidence
September 05 2012 3:55 PM
X-rays indicated that the diamond is trapped in his gullet and might be very difficult to extricate.
- Global Media Largely Praises Michelle Obama’s Convention Speech
September 05 2012 2:06 PM
“Michelle Obama wows convention with passionate speech.”
- Tiny UAE Is No. 3 Most Important Aircraft Market: Airbus
September 05 2012 10:56 AM
The UAE is expected to spend an average of $11 billion a year through 2031 on an estimated 882 commercial aircraft, according to a report by Airbus on the global market for aircraft.
- Women In Asia Largely Ignorant, Fatalistic, About Fertility
September 05 2012 10:39 AM
Only 30 percent of Asian women surveyed, all aged 25-40, recognized that obesity could reduce fertility and only 36 percent knew that chances of getting pregnant declined with age.
- Fireworks Factory Blaze Leaves 10 Including Children Dead
September 05 2012 5:31 AM
A major blaze in a fireworks factory at Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu, India, has reportedly led to 10 people, including children, dead and more than 20 injured on Wednesday, local media reports said.
- India's Service Sector PMI For August Records Fastest Growth In Six Months
September 05 2012 4:04 AM
India's service sector continued its growth for the tenth consecutive month in August, based on a quick and the fastest pace since February, based on steady growth in new orders, according to the latest HSBC PMI data released Wednesday.
- Peripheral Yields Lowered as ECB Meeting Looms
September 05 2012 3:56 AM
Peripheral European yields slipped yesterday amid expectations of ECB's bond purchases. Stocks fluctuated between gains and losses with the DJIA and S&P 500 Indices dropping -0.42% and -0.12% respectively. Disappointing ISM manufacturing index countered optimism of potential easing measures. In the commodity sector, crude slumped with WTI and Brent crude contracts losing -1.21% and -1.38% respectively, erasing the gains made in the previous day amid concerns over economic growth. Gold remaine...
- Fastest Growth in Services PMI in 6 Months
September 05 2012 1:59 AM
August saw the Indian private sector business growing at its swiftest in six months. The rapid progress was augmented by development in new business since February amid increasing optimism about the future, according to a survey on Wednesday.
- GM Turns to China to Crack India's Tough Car Market
September 05 2012 12:14 AM
General Motors Co began initial production of its first ever Chinese-designed car for the Indian market this week, a major step for the U.S. automaker as it tries to scale up in a market where foreign companies have struggled.
- ONGC Hits Iranian Wall In $5 Billion Bid For ConocoPhillips Units
September 04 2012 11:57 AM
Oil & Natural Gas Corp. (Mumbai: ONGC), India's largest state-controlled energy driller, could lose its bid for $5 billion in Canadian assets controlled by energy giant ConocoPhillips Co. (NYSE: COP), due to its investments in Iran, which is facing U.S. sanctions.
- India And China: Asian Powerhouses Defense Partners Again, Despite Ongoing Disputes
September 04 2012 11:24 AM
India and China will resume joint military exercises in an effort to strengthen the shaky relationship between the two most populous countries on earth.
- Ronald McDonald Goes Vegetarian In India
September 04 2012 11:16 AM
McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD), the US-based fast-food restaurant chain headquartered in Illinois long known for its beef-based burgers of all shapes and sizes announced plans on Tuesday to open its first ever vegetarian-exclusive restaurants in India.
- Japan’s Demographic Doom: Tokyo’s Population Will Be Cut In Half Over Next Century
September 04 2012 10:00 AM
This means that Tokyo’s population in 2100 will match the numbers from 1940.
- China Will Become No. 1 Smartphone Market In 2012: IDC
September 04 2012 9:35 AM
The world’s most populous country will become its biggest smartphone market by year-end, market researcher IDC estimates. It may account for 26.5 percent of all shipments compared with only 17.8 percent for the U.S.
- Sri Lankan Pilgrims Attacked In South India, Lanka Issues Travel Advisory To Its Citizens
September 04 2012 7:14 AM
Buses carrying the Sri Lankan pilgrims were attacked in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu Tuesday, a day after the Sri Lankan government had issued a travel advisory to its citizens. Sri Lanka had issued the warning in the wake of the increasing attacks against its citizens in Tamil Nadu.
- IT, Pharma Mutual Funds Top Performers in August
September 04 2012 4:39 AM
IT sector funds were the top performers in August among Indian mutual funds that focus on domestic stocks as lower valuations of the sector's shares after their sharp declines in July revived investor interest.
- Infosys Top Executive Quits, Joins Rival Wipro
September 04 2012 2:54 AM
Shaji Farooq, Infosys's financial services head in the U.S. has resigned and has joined rival business group Wipro.
- India's Exports Decline 14.8% In July
September 03 2012 5:07 AM
India's annual exports and imports declined for the third consecutive month in July owing to the weak demand from the U.S. and European countries due to the global economic slowdown.
- Asian Stocks Mostly Higher On Stimulus Optimism
September 03 2012 4:23 AM
Asian stock markets mostly ended higher Monday on hopes that major central banks around the world would soon announce a new round of stimulus measures to tackle the deteriorating global economic conditions.