- The summer sports lifted the host nation's mood as Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis, and David Weir were cheered on in the centre of the city.
- Strikes at South African mines controlled by Lonmin PLC (London: LMI), the world's third-largest platinum producer, and Gold Fields Ltd. (NYSE: GFI), the fourth-largest gold miner, escalated Monday, further endangering production of the metals.
- Prince Harry has been asked by the British Foreign Office to visit China in an effort to improve diplomatic relations between the two countries, which have suffered over the U.K.'s relationship with the Dalai Lama and the murder of a British national by the wife of a prominent Chinese politician.
- General Motors Company (NYSE: GM) may be losing money on the Chevy Volt at present, but the long-term benefits of early R&D in electric vehicles, improvements to brand image and improving sales volumes should ultimately make it a wise decision for the company.
- Over the weekend Rihanna added the most elaborate tattoo yet to her collection-a tattoo of a Goddess, tattooed around her ribcage
- The U.S. stock index futures point to a lower open Monday as investors' concerns about the faltering global economy was revived following the disappointing economic indicators from China.
- Djokovic owns an 8-6 head-to-head advantage over Murray.
- In a difficult battle against the Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, the American Serena Williams came back Sunday to win her fourth U.S. Open women's singles title in a hotly contested three-set match -- 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 -- at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing Meadows in New York.
US Open Tennis 2012: Watch Live Stream Online of Women's Final, Serena Williams vs. Victoria AzarenkaSerena Williams faces No. 1 ranked Victoria Azarenka in the women's US Open final Sunday afternoon.
- U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte has done anything but shy away from the limelight since the conclusion of the London 2012 Olympic Games. Lochte has been rumored to be starring in his own reality-television show, made cameo appearances on the CW's "90210" and NBC's "30 Rock," and now has fessed up about having a crush on Blake Lively, star of the CW's "Gossip Girl."
- Global commodity trader Glencore International PLC, which was within hours of seeing its proposed $80 billion purchase of mining giant Xstrata PLC rejected by shareholders, has raised the amount it is willing to pay, according to a report Friday.
One Direction Score Big At MTV VMAs 2012, Fans On Twitter Greet Band For Grabbing 3 Awards (Full List Of Winners & Photos)British boy band One Direction turned out to be the biggest winners at the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) Thursday night in Los Angeles grabbing three awards, nosing out big names like Rihanna.
- In the wake of a strike that left 34 platinum miners dead after clashes with police, South African unions continued to refuse to work, disrupting production of the metal in the country that accounts for 75 percent of global exports and spilling over to impact gold miners.
- Snapshots of Adele's baby bump were taken last week and excitement over the Grammy-winning songstress soared. Last year Adele stunned the audience at the MTV VMAs with her stellar performance, but will the public debut of her baby bump do the same this year?
- Instead of following recommended procedures, many professional football teams in the UK are failing to assess their players before and after concussions and are using outdated fixed periods of rest after head injuries.
- Emirates, the world’s largest airline by international passenger traffic, has agreed to a revenue-sharing pact with Qantas Airways Ltd. (Sydney: QAN), Australia's largest airline and the oldest continually operated airline in the world, leaving Emirates' former partner British Airways out in the cold.
- A roundup of all the latest news surrounding Arsenal's activities in the transfer market.