Articles by The New York Times
- New York Times Names New CEO With Strong Broadcast Ties
August 14 2012 5:46 PM
The New York Times Co. (NYSE: NYT), publisher of the third-largest U.S. newspaper by circulation, named outgoing BBC director-general Mark Thompson its new CEO on Wednesday, bringing in a broadcast journalism veteran as the company expands its video content.
- Robert Pattinson's 'Cosmopolis' Set to Hit Theaters: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cronenberg's Latest
August 14 2012 4:39 PM
"Cosmopolis," the highly anticipated collaboration between director David Cronenberg and "Twilight" star Robert Pattinson, is perhaps the most unconventional film of the summer.
- Fox Intern Lawsuit Could Mean ‘Swan’ Song For Unpaid Labor In Glamour Industries
August 14 2012 1:48 PM
Two unpaid interns who last year sued Fox Searchlight over work they say they should have been paid for are looking to expand the case to include all interns who participated in programs run by Fox Entertainment Group.
- How Google Barged Into The Travel Business
August 14 2012 11:46 AM
Google's slow-but-steady march into the travel and local listings business continues this week with its latest acquisition: Frommer's, the popular travel guidebook series.
- Suicide Attacks Kill Dozens In Southwestern Afghanistan
August 14 2012 10:53 AM
Many of the dead were shopping in a bazaar in preparation for the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
- 3 Reasons The 3-Martini Lunch Could Fix the Economy, Improve Your Work and Open New Horizons
August 14 2012 9:30 AM
The three-martini lunch has gone out of vogue in the last fifty years, but maybe, just maybe, it's time to return to the time-honored, vermouth and gin soaked tradition of the 1940s, 50s and 60s.
- Candy Crowley Will Be First Female Debate Moderator In 20 Years; Is it Too Little Too Late?
August 13 2012 6:44 PM
Candy Crowley, anchor of CNN’s “State of the Union,” will be the first woman to moderate a Presidential debate in 20 years, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced Monday morning. PBS’s Jim Lehrer, and CBS’s Bob Schieffer will also be moderating the three debates with Crowley, while Martha Raddatz from ABC will moderate the vice presidential debate.
- Will CNN Abandon News? Why It Might Be Inevitable
August 13 2012 4:40 PM
On Monday, a spokesperson for the struggling cable network quickly downplayed a New York Post story that claimed it was developing reality-TV shows as part of a massive programming overhaul.
- Apple iPhone 5 Features: 'Leaked' Logic Board Perfectly Fits Previous Specs, Rumors, Components [PICTURES]
August 13 2012 2:47 PM
We're about a month away from the alleged date when Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) is expected to debut the iPhone 5, and fans are very excited to see what Apple's design wizards have come up with for this year's model. On Monday, French site NowhereElse posted pictures from Chinese forum Weiphone showing different angles of what appears to be the iPhone 5's new logic board. The logic board in question matches perfectly with previous rumors, specs, and features of the iPhone 5 prototypes....
- Alleged Racial Profiling At Boston Logan Raises Questions: Does TSA’s ‘Behavior Detection’ Really Work?
August 13 2012 12:21 PM
The Transportation Security Administration’s “expanded behavior detection” pilot program at Boston Logan International Airport was supposed to be the model for airports nationwide, but reports of rampant racial profiling has put the controversial method in question and forced the agency to open up an investigation.
- Apple iPhone 5 ‘Leaked’ Parts Fit Together In New Diagram, Supply Chains Gear Up For The Alleged Release Date [FEATURES]
August 13 2012 10:54 AM
Another allegedly leaked photo in the slew of what is believed to be images of Apple’s iPhone 5 has surfaced. Last week pictures of the smartphone’s components surfaced, and now a new diagram that puts these pieces of the reported iPhone 5 in context has appeared online.
- Racial Profiling Rampant At TSA: Report
August 12 2012 12:07 PM
A new program intended to identify potential terrorists has led to systemic racial profiling at Boston's Logan International airport, Transportation Security Administration officials told the New York Times.
- Apple iPad Mini: 3 Ways Amazon, Barnes & Noble Can Avoid The Death Knell
August 12 2012 9:27 AM
For about a year, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble were almost completely alone in the 7-inch tablet market. It was nice while it lasted. The past few months have seen Google and Microsoft unveil their 7-inch tablet offerings, and it looks like Apple is about ready to get into the minitablet game, too.
- Who Is Benjamin Lawsky? Little-Known Regulator Who Savaged Standard Chartered Stokes His - And Andrew Cuomo's - Political Dreams
August 11 2012 1:03 PM
When Benjamin Lawsky formally accused U.K.'s Standard Chartered bank of money laundering and a cover-up linked to Iranian financial institutions, the head of New York's newly formed Department of Financial Services was hardly described in glowing terms in the press. He was termed a rogue, an egomaniac and worse by unnamed scorned colleagues in New York and Washington. But in describing his ambitions, what these reports failed to take into account was the depth of his and Governor Andrew C...
- Apple iPhone 5 Rumors: 15 Brilliant Concept Designs We're Still Hoping For [PICTURES]
August 11 2012 11:26 AM
We're about a month away from the alleged reveal of the iPhone 5 which will reportedly take place at an Apple media event planned for Wednesday, Sept. 12. But what if every rumor up until now has been fake? What if all of these reports were planted by Apple to throw us off the scent? For more than a year, designers across the Internet have dreamed up their own ideas and concept designs for what they thought Apple should do with the iPhone 5. Who knows? Maybe Apple will actually listen to one ...
- Five Paul Ryan Positions Americans May Hate
August 11 2012 11:08 AM
By picking Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as his running mate Saturday, Mitt Romney signaled that he was trying to put a fresh face on his campaign for his core demographic of conservative voters. But Ryan comes with some positions that many moderate or liberal voters may hate, and even some conservatives too.
- Amy Adams' Hair-Raising New Role
August 10 2012 11:04 PM
The enchanting Amy Adams ditched her usual glam apparel for more matronly clothing as the Baker's Wife in Shakespeare in the Park's revival of Stephen Sondheim's "Into The Woods" at the Delacorte Theater in New York's Central Park.
- Fareed Zakaria, Time Columnist And CNN Host, Admits To Plagiarism: Twitter Reacts To His Suspension And Apology
August 10 2012 5:19 PM
Fareed Zakaria, a columnist for Time magazine and a CNN host, has apologized to Jill Lepore for plagiarizing her work in the New Yorker. Some sections of Zakaria's column called "The Case for Gun Control" were closely tied to a lengthier article on guns written by historian Jill Lepore in April.
- Apple iPhone 5 Rumors: Can We Trust The Photos, Components, Features Are Legitimate? [PICTURES]
August 10 2012 5:04 PM
Apple plans to finally launch the iPhone 5 on Sept. 12. Since May, however, photos and pictures of future iPhone components have been popping up around the Internet, and by now, most people think they know what the iPhone 5 looks like. But to what degree can this iPhone evidence be trusted?
- Personalized Pricing: Retailers Are Watching Your Every Move
August 10 2012 3:52 PM
Retailers are using digital monitoring to sharpen their pitches of products and services to specific individuals, adjusting prices and strategically timing offers to catch us when and where we're mostly likely to spend.