Articles by The New York Times
- Once A Moneymaker, Kaplan Is Now A Burden For The Washington Post Co
August 03 2012 11:38 PM
The pressures on the Washington Post Co., the sixth-largest U.S. newspaper group by circulation, are twofold: the erosion in advertising and circulation revenue of its print properties, and the plunging profit of Kaplan, its for-profit education division, as the federal government enacts more regulations.
- Apple iPhone 5 Specs: Most Convincing Photo Evidence Yet Showcases Different Features From iPhone 4S [PICTURES, VIDEO]
August 03 2012 11:37 AM
Smartphone supply, component and repair sites like Gotta Be Mobile and iFixyouri have previously posted images and videos of alleged iPhone 5 prototypes, but never did those sites fully compare the new model to the iPhone 4S. On Friday, ETrade Supply posted a highly-detailed photo and video comparison between the iPhone 5 prototype and iPhone 4S components from Apple, which just may be the most convincing photo evidence of the iPhone 5 we have to-date.
- Knight Capital, Firm At Center of Wednesday NYSE Trading Glitch, On The Ropes
August 02 2012 6:07 PM
The firm at the center of a software glitch that prompted highly irregular trading patterns Wednesday morning in shares of more than 100 New York Stock Exchange issues is hanging on by a thread.
- Rashida Jones Plays Against Type In ‘Celeste And Jesse Forever’
August 02 2012 5:48 PM
For Rashida Jones, "Celeste and Jesse Forever" not only marks her screenwriting debut but showcases her remarkable range.
- Apple iPhone 5 Rumors: $800 Starting Price? Fat Chance [PICTURES]
August 02 2012 1:05 PM
Twitter was abuzz early Thursday morning with two hashtags carrying the same message: The next iPhone -- the iPhone 5 -- may cost $800. The rumors came from online gaming site GameNGuide, but unfortunately, this is the sole illegitimate source causing the confusion in today's news. Nobody knows the true price of the iPhone 5, but its starting price will almost certainly not be $800.
- Goldman Sachs in Jail: Why is Big Money Moving Into Social Impact Bonds?
August 02 2012 12:25 PM
The investment at Rikers Island prison is a so-called "social-impact bond", the first of its kind for an American city, and means any potential return for Goldman hinges on the success of a program that will educate, train and counsel inmates aged between 16 and 18.
- Jared Diamond Admonishes Mitt Romney On 'Guns, Germs And Steel': 'I Have To Doubt Whether Mr. Romney Read It,' Professor Says In Times Op-Ed
August 02 2012 11:51 AM
Jared Diamond tore into presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Wednesday's New York Times, writing in an op-ed that the former Massachusetts governor "misrepresented my views" when Romney talked about culture during a speech Sunday in Jerusalem.
- Facebook Has 83 Million Fake Users, Ad Revenue Could Suffer
August 02 2012 10:39 AM
Facebook, the world's largest social media platform, might have more than 83 million fake users, according to company filings published this week.
- Don't Like Newspaper Paywalls? Get Used To Them
August 02 2012 10:33 AM
Since the New York Times first rolled out its paywall in early 2011 -- amid equal parts skepticism and ire -- other papers around the country have followed suit at an impressive rate.
- Egyptian President's Conciliatory Letter To Israel A Fake - Or Is It?
August 01 2012 5:33 PM
A spokesman for Egyptian President Morsi said a letter supposedly sent to Israeli President Peres was fake and reports of it were "slander."
- Spain Seeking To Erase Francisco Franco From Its Conscience
August 01 2012 2:51 PM
More than thirty-five years after Franco?s death, the generalissimo remains a divisive figure.
- Why Apple Cannot Release The iPhone 5 And The iPad Mini On The Same Date
August 01 2012 2:24 PM
If Apple plans to release the iPad Mini to the masses at the same time as the iPhone 5, Apple could run into the biggest crowds in the history of the company. And that's not necessarily a good thing. Assuming Apple unveils the iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini at the same time, will the release dates for both devices be the same?
- Aly Raisman?s Overanxious Parents And Other Hilarious Parents Of Olympic Athletes [PHOTOS]
August 01 2012 12:07 PM
One can imagine how stressful competing in the London Games can be for Olympic athletes. But all too often, it seems the parents of athletes are the ones at the center of attention during the fierce competition, watching overanxiously in the stands as their sons and daughters go for the gold. Extreme parent reactions came into full spotlight on Sunday when the parents of Aly Raisman "stole the show," as some media reports said during NBC's coverage of her battle with Jordyn Wieber.
- Men Fake Their Orgasms? AskMen 2012 Survey Reveals Faking It And Much More
August 01 2012 11:51 AM
Women are not the only ones faking orgasms anymore. While you may think your man loves your sex life, he could be lying to you.
- Turkey Rattles Sabers At Border With Syria
August 01 2012 9:25 AM
The Turkish army rolled out about two dozen tanks Wednesday in Nusaybin, a town of about 80,000 residents on the border with Syria and about 100 miles west of Iraq.
- Apple iPhone 5 Initial Shipments Could Be Disrupted Due To Low Yield Rates Of In-Cell Touch Panels: Report
August 01 2012 6:24 AM
In the wake of multiple reports claiming that Apple would make its sixth generation iPhone, unofficially called the "iPhone 5," public at a special event in September, another report from Asia hit the web Tuesday, suggesting that the delivery schedule and the early shipment of the flagship smartphone might be disrupted due to low yield rates of in-cell touch panels the device is rumored to feature.
- London Olympics 2012: Saudi Judoka Allowed To Wear Headscarf; Muslim Athletes Compete During Ramadan Fast
August 01 2012 6:19 AM
A female judo fighter from Saudi Arabia was cleared on Tuesday to compete in the London Olympics after Saudis threatened to pull the contestant out if she was not allowed to cover her head during her event.
- Jonah Lehrer New Yorker Resignation: Stephen Glass, Mike Daisey Whistleblowers Weigh In
July 31 2012 7:48 PM
"I think he has taken the first step," Adam Penenberg said. "He admitted what he did, unlike Stephen Glass."
- Jonah Lehrer Story Did Not Crash Tablet Site, Mag Blames ?Sophisticated,? Targeted Attacks
July 31 2012 3:26 PM
Tablet editor claims the site has been experiencing sophisticated attacks specifically targeting the magazine.
- Maeve Binchy, Prolific Irish Writer, Dead At Age 72, Complete List Of Best Selling Author's Books
July 31 2012 12:32 PM
Best-selling Irish writer Maeve Binchy died on Monday, July 30, following a short illness. She was 72-years-old. Check out a complete list of the best selling author's books.