- Continental European day-ahead power prices rose more than 7% month-on-month in August as reduced nuclear power generation operations in France and Belgium continued to tighten supply for the region, according to Platts, a leading global provider of energy, petrochemicals and metals information.
- Despite taking the wraps off its anticipated Lumia smartphones using the new Windows 8 from Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, Nokia’s shares plunged 11 percent after CEO Stephen Elop claimed, “We need to succeed with this and take it to the next step.”
- Houston should earn their second straight playoff berth.
- Castro, already being hailed as a rising star in the Democratic Party, gave a much-praised keynote speech at the convention Tuesday when he made his national debut. But he has been a prominent presence in San Antonio's Chicano community since his teen years.
- San Francisco hopes to build on their surprising run in 2011.
NFL NEWS 2012 NFC South Preview, Prediction, Who Takes It: New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay?The Saints' suspensions will set them back this season.
- The Patriots have the best path to another AFC East title.
US Open Tennis 2012: Watch Live Stream Online of Federer, Murray and Roddick in Wednesday’s Action; PreviewWatch live coverage and get a full preview of day 10's play at the US Open, featuring the likes of Roger Federer and Andy Murray.
- The latest Green Lantern to take the oath of the Green Lantern Corp. also happens to be the first Muslim-American superhero. The power of the Green Lantern comes from a ring forged with the power of will. When a member of the Green Lantern Corp. dies, the ring seeks out a worthy replacement.
- Investors are increasing gold holdings at the fastest pace in six months, signaling prices may rebound to near a record, according to Adrian Day Asset Management. The of outstanding gold contracts in New York jumped 8.6 % in August, the biggest gain since February.
- The Tom Cruise "wife audition" rumors are swirling once again. Reports of wife casting by the Church of Scientology spiked in July when an unknown actress, 27-year-old Yolanda Pecoraro became targeted for the role of "Wife #4" for Tom Cruise. While many scoffed at the idea of a wife casting call, another unknown actress, Nazanin Boniadi is stirring the pot.
- Transgender and convicted murderer Robert Kosilek has been granted a sex-change surgery by US District Court Chief Judge Mark Wolf. That's right, tax payers will be funding the soon-to-be transsexual's gender reassignment.
- Hudson's Bay Co., the owner of Lord & Taylor and North America's oldest continuously operating retailer, plans to go public on the Toronto Stock Exchange by November in one of the biggest retailer offerings since the financial crisis began, according to reports.
- The No. 1 seed needed three sets to beat Stosur.
- Nicki Minaj raps endlessly about her stacks of money, expensive clothes, cars and all the other luxuries that come with being one of the most famous -- and overrated -- rappers on the planet. But despite that love of all things material, her bold-faced endorsement of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on the new Lil' Wayne mixtape shows that she's willing to put her vote where her Louis Vuitton purse is.
- Hubert Joly, the new CEO of Best Buy Co. Inc. (NYSE: BBY), is going to spend his first week on the job pulling the old king-as-commoner routine, donning the company's uniform and working a few of the showrooms.
- Banco Santander's announcement that it would be spinning off nearly one quarter of its Mexican unit in an initial public offering later this month was greeted by the markets as a seemingly win-win-win proposition. But the move by the large Spanish bank only highlights the increased dependence Iberian banks have had on their overseas branches over the past few years and how, in an effort to now package off those units and sell them, they could be killing the hen that's been laying the golde...