Articles by NYSE
- Global Manufacturing Weakens Further In August, More Easing Probably Won’t Spur Growth
September 05 2012 6:26 AM
Manufacturing downturns spared no one in August, surveys of purchasing executives showed, in the latest sign of weakness in the global economy. While the batch of gloomy data has boosted hopes for further central bank actions, some economists remain skeptical that there would be any significant effects.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (Guidewire, Cenveo, Six Flags, CONSOL Energy, Pep Boys-Manny, Greenhill, Kindred, Nustar, Giant Interactive)
September 05 2012 1:29 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Tuesday were Guidewire Software, Cenveo Inc, Six Flags Entertainment Corp, CONSOL Energy and Pep Boys-Manny, Moe & Jack. The top after-market NYSE losers were Greenhill & Co, Assured Guaranty Ltd, Kindred Healthcare, Nustar Energy L.P. and Giant Interactive Group Inc.
- Lord & Taylor Owner Hudson's Bay Co., North America's Oldest Retailer, Prepares IPO
September 04 2012 5:56 PM
Hudson's Bay Co., the owner of Lord & Taylor and North America's oldest continuously operating retailer, plans to go public on the Toronto Stock Exchange by November in one of the biggest retailer offerings since the financial crisis began, according to reports.
- US Car Sales Indicate Economic Recovery in August
September 04 2012 5:30 PM
Global carmakers reported robust sales growth in August, indicating improving consumer sentiment and demand by small businesses and contractors. Companies including Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), General Motors Company (NYSE: GM), Honda Motor Co. (NYSE: HMC) and Toyota Motor Corporation (NYSE: TM) all reported major gains.
- Manchester United: A Financial Scouting Report
September 04 2012 4:04 PM
Manchester United PLC (NYSE: MANU), the 19-time English Premier League soccer champion, is valued at an average of $17 per share.
- Best Buy's New CEO Says He's Going To Work The Cash Register In His First Week
September 04 2012 3:12 PM
Hubert Joly, the new CEO of Best Buy Co. Inc. (NYSE: BBY), is going to spend his first week on the job pulling the old king-as-commoner routine, donning the company's uniform and working a few of the showrooms.
- Big Grain Companies Reap Profits As Global Food Prices Soar And Poor Go Hungry
September 04 2012 2:52 PM
Archer Daniels Midland, Bunge, Cargill, and Louis Dreyfus, the big four companies of the grain market, are doing all right as gobal food prices spike. According to non-profit groups, they are doing so partially at the expense of hungry people.
- Is Santander's Mexican IPO The Death Of 'Goose' That Lays Golden Eggs?
September 04 2012 2:32 PM
Banco Santander's announcement that it would be spinning off nearly one quarter of its Mexican unit in an initial public offering later this month was greeted by the markets as a seemingly win-win-win proposition. But the move by the large Spanish bank only highlights the increased dependence Iberian banks have had on their overseas branches over the past few years and how, in an effort to now package off those units and sell them, they could be killing the hen that's been laying the golde...
- Hollywood’s Incredible Shrinking Audiences
September 04 2012 1:41 PM
This past weekend, Hollywood studios received bad news. The number of tickets sold during Hollywood's all-important summer season -- the first week in May through Labor Day weekend -- shrank to 532 million in 2012. That's off 4 percent from last year and on track to be the lowest summer attendance in almost 20 years, according to preliminary estimates from Hollywood.com.
- Nokia Bets The Company: New Windows 8 Phones Key To Recovery
September 04 2012 12:38 PM
Ailing Finnish smartphone maker Nokia Oyj (NYSE: NOK) is betting the company that two new Lumia smartphones based on the new Windows 8 OS from Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, will be international hits.
- ONGC Hits Iranian Wall In $5 Billion Bid For ConocoPhillips Units
September 04 2012 11:57 AM
Oil & Natural Gas Corp. (Mumbai: ONGC), India's largest state-controlled energy driller, could lose its bid for $5 billion in Canadian assets controlled by energy giant ConocoPhillips Co. (NYSE: COP), due to its investments in Iran, which is facing U.S. sanctions.
- Ronald McDonald Goes Vegetarian In India
September 04 2012 11:16 AM
McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD), the US-based fast-food restaurant chain headquartered in Illinois long known for its beef-based burgers of all shapes and sizes announced plans on Tuesday to open its first ever vegetarian-exclusive restaurants in India.
- US August Car Sales - Live Blog: Will Buyers' Love Of Trucks Trump Economic Fears?
September 04 2012 9:54 AM
Global automakers report August U.S. car sales, Tuesday. Follow the blog for the latest updates from Chrysler, Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), General Motors Company (NYSE: GM), Nissan Motor Co. (Tokyo: 7201), Honda Motor Co. (NYSE: HMC), Volkswagen AG (Frankfurt: VOW) and Toyota Motor Corporation (NYSE: TM).
- Report: Equity Firms, Including Bain, Probed For Turning Fees Into Funds To Lower Tax Burdens
September 02 2012 1:50 PM
The country's largest private equity firms are being investigated on suspicion of finagling themselves out of paying taxes by turning fees into fund investments.
- Isaac's Floods: Threat Of Lock Failure North Of New Orleans Spurs Evacuation Order
September 02 2012 11:43 AM
Hurricane Isaac is long gone from south Louisiana, but the flood threat continues. A mandatory evacuation order was issued Saturday night for residents in parts of St. Tammany Parish north of New Orleans.
- Technology Focus: Who Benefits From Big Data? Big Guns IBM, Oracle, HP, EMC
September 02 2012 10:08 AM
You don’t have to be a genius to determine that in a world of petabytes of data, projected 2012 sales of 367.2 million PCs, 107.4 million tablets and 650 million smartphones, a few smart companies are going to prosper: HP (NYSE: HPQ), IBM (NYSE: IBM), Oracle (Nasdaq: ORCL) and EMC.(NYSE: EMC).
- Five Reasons Why Obama Could Win The 2012 Election
September 01 2012 2:05 PM
He's practically the devil incarnate to the Republican Party, but no president since President Franklin D. Roosevelt has had to address as many serious economic, financial and foreign policy problems as President Barack Obama. Further, Obama's relative success addressing these problems, and the Republican Party's callousness, will lead to Obama's re-election in November.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (Thompson Creek, MPG Office, Renren, Overseas Ship, Alon USA, HudBay, Heckmann, Plantronics)
September 01 2012 12:14 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Friday were Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust, Thompson Creek Metals Co, MPG Office Trust, Renren Inc and Overseas Shipholding Group. The top after-market NYSE losers were Alon USA Energy, HudBay Minerals, Heckmann Corp, Plantronics and RadioShack Corp.
- Hurricane Isaac, Venezuelan Oil Refinery Explosion Could Send Oil Prices Up
August 31 2012 11:25 PM
The Hurricane Isaac-related shutdown of at least four U.S. oil refineries and an explosion at a major refinery in Venezuela -- the fourth-largest provider of oil to the U.S. -- could lead to oil prices rising as supply falls.
- Somebody Call Orson: Robin Williams Eyes TV Comeback
August 31 2012 9:10 PM
The hyperactive comic actor is in talks to team up with the master showrunner David E. Kelley for a single-camera comedy set in the advertising industry.