Articles by Pakistan
- Dead Or Alive? Al-Qaida's No. 2 Targeted In US Drone Strike
June 05 2012 12:09 PM
Al-Qaida's second-in-command was reportedly at the site of a drone strike in northwestern Pakistan, but his death has not yet been confirmed, a U.S. official announced Tuesday.
- U.S. Wants India to Play Greater Role in Afghanistan
June 05 2012 9:03 AM
India is expected play an active role in Afghanistan following the withdrawal of international forces in the region, said U.S. officials on arrival of the U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta in New Delhi on Tuesday.
- Al Qaeda Top Strategist Abu Yahya al-Libi Killed by Drone?
June 05 2012 6:47 AM
Abu Yahya al-Libi, one of al Qaeda's top strategists and seen as the most prominent figure in the network after leader Ayman al Zawahri, may have been killed in a drone strike in Pakistan, Pakistani intelligence officials said on Tuesday.
- U.S. In Three Day Drone Blitz Over Pakistan
June 04 2012 9:38 AM
Monday's strike in the Waziristan tribal region follows similar drone launched attacks on Saturday and Sunday, bringing the total number of attacks to seven in less than two weeks.
- US Drone Strike Kills 15 Militants In Pakistan
June 04 2012 5:48 AM
An unmanned US aerial strike targeting a militant base in Pakistan's northwestern tribal area Monday morning killed at least 15 terrorists, Pakistani media reported citing security officials.
- What Happened To The Hippie Trail? The Legacy Of The Asia Overland Route
June 02 2012 3:38 PM
In the 1960s and 1970s, thousands of rebellious Europeans, Americans, and Aussies threw caution to the wind and traded their suburban upbringings for sarongs, sandals, and the allure of the East, marching along the hippie trail on a journey that would forever alter the course of history.
- US Military Returns Officers To Western Pakistan
June 01 2012 7:00 AM
Signaling a slight improvement in the diplomatic ties between Washington and Islamabad, the US military has returned two officers to the headquarters of the Pakistani army's 11th Corps to help coordinate military actions along the Afghan border.
- Iraqi Oil Lease Auction Ends In Disappointment
May 31 2012 5:49 PM
Iraq's central government closed Thursday what has proven to be a disappointing two-day oil and gas lease auction sale that emphasized oil and gas exploration.
- China Prods Pakistan To Crack Down On Uighur Separatist Militants
May 31 2012 3:00 PM
The militants in question belong to The East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), a militant group that is fighting to free the Muslim-dominated Xinjiang province from Chinese rule.
- Pakistani Taliban Vows To Cut Into Pieces Doctor Who Helped In Bin Laden Hunt
May 31 2012 10:39 AM
The Pakistani Taliban has vowed to kill Shakeel Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who has been accused of helping the CIA search for Osama bin Laden.
- Pakistan Test Fires Nuclear-Capable Hatf-VIII Cruise Missile
May 31 2012 4:59 AM
Pakistan Thursday test fired a medium range cruise missile capable of delivering nuclear and conventional warheads within a range of 350 kilometers.
- Pakistani Court Document Deflates U.S. Efforts To Free Bin Laden Doctor
May 30 2012 11:07 AM
The jailed Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA locate Osama Bin Laden was handed a 33-year prison sentence last week for conspiring with Islamic militants, not for assisting American agents according to a court document.
- 'Drones-Only Approach' -- How Obama Chooses Whom To Kill
May 29 2012 12:41 PM
Backed by a muscular interpretation of executive power, the Obama administration has made armed drones the centerpiece of its counter-terror arsenal, stepping up strikes in Pakistan and expanding the campaign into Yemen and Somalia.
- GCC: Can The Arab Gulf States Form A Political And Economic Union To Rival The EU And Shut Out Iran?
May 26 2012 1:30 PM
The contemplated union of Saudi Arabia and Bahrain forms only one part of a potentially much wider alliance -- the political, military and economic integration of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), which comprise Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Oman.
- U.S. Senators Act Harsh on Pakistan for Jailing CIA Helper, Cut Aid by $33 Million
May 25 2012 2:28 AM
U.S. senators scandalized by Pakistan's jailing of a doctor for helping the CIA find Osama bin Laden voted on Thursday to cut aid to Islamabad by $33 million - one million for each year in the doctor's sentence.
- U.S. Cuts Pakistan Aid Over Bin Laden Doctor Conviction
May 24 2012 3:22 PM
The Senate Appropriations Committee decided to punish Islamabad $1 million for every year of Shakil Afridi's 33-year sentence.
- Polio Remains Endemic in Nigeria, Pakistan And Afghanistan: Health Officials
May 24 2012 12:04 PM
GPEI warned that failure to eradicate polio could lead to as many as 200,000 paralyzed children a year across the globe.
- US Drone Strike Kills At Least 8 People In Northwest Pakistan
May 24 2012 10:45 AM
Drone attacks have become a contentious issue in Pakistan since local officials claim these attacks frequently kill innocent civilians.
- US Drone Reportedly Kills 10 In Pakistan
May 23 2012 10:50 PM
A U.S. drone strike on suspected Islamist militants in northwest Pakistan killed 10 people on Thursday, intelligence officials said.
- US Hopes Pakistan Will Reopen NATO Supply Routes
May 23 2012 10:47 AM
The US hopes that Pakistan will agree to reopen the supply routes to NATO troops in Afghanistan as the Senate has threatened to link the aid to Pakistan with the country's cooperation on the issue.