Articles by Somalia
- Severe Drought and Famine in Somalia: What You Can Do to Help
July 20 2011 4:38 PM
Millions of people across Somalia are suffering from drought and famine, but you can help by donating to aid agencies working to bring supplies to the Horn of Africa.
- If Camels Can’t Survive in Drought-Stricken Somalia, What Can? (PHOTOS)
July 20 2011 10:40 AM
50 percent of camels have died in the drought-stricken Horn of Africa country Somalia. This is the worst drought the region has seen in over half a century.
- Millions of Malnourished Children in Horn of Africa are at Risk of Dying (PHOTOS)
July 18 2011 7:49 AM
With no improvement in the overall food security conditions expected before early 2012, about a million of children in drought-ridden Horn of Africa are at the risk of dying from malnourishment.
- Hamas Arrests Male Hairdresser in Gaza Who Cut Women's Hair
July 06 2011 8:31 PM
amas authorities in Gaza have arrested a male hairdresser for cutting a woman's hair, according to a report on BBC.
- 200 Illegal Migrants Die in Red Sea Boat Fire
July 06 2011 10:16 AM
A boat traveling between Sudan and Saudi Arabia caught fire, killing most of the refugees on board.
- U.S. to Try Somali Terror Suspect in Civilian Court
July 06 2011 9:27 AM
A Somali terror suspect captured and interrogated by the U.S. military in the Gulf of Aden will face a federal indictment in New York, placing the man at the center of an ongoing debate about how and where to try terror suspects.
- Nearly 200 African Migrants Feared Drowned in Red Sea on Way to Saudi Arabia
July 05 2011 11:33 PM
Almost 200 illegal African migrants have drowned to death when their boat sunk in the Red Sea off the Sudanese coast, according to Sudan’s media.
- African Horn Plunges into Drought
July 05 2011 2:45 PM
Around 10 million people total in the Horn of Africa will need food aid as a result of a massive drought.
- Britain Pledges To Help Drought Victims In East Africa
July 03 2011 10:58 PM
Britain has pledged to offer £38-million ($61-million) to Ethiopia in order to feed more than one million people who have been devastated by a severe drought.
- Victims of Anarchy: Somalia's Refugees in Africa
July 02 2011 10:41 AM
UN refugee camps are at capacity all over eastern Africa. But Somalis keep fleeing their country headed to Kenya, Ethiopia and elsewhere.
- Two Killed in Riots at UN Camp in Kenya
July 01 2011 12:08 PM
Overcrowding sparked a riot at a massive refugee camp in Kenya.
- Obama Afghanistan War Policy to Shift to Covert, Drone Tactics
June 30 2011 9:19 AM
President Barack Obama's counter-terrorism adviser outlined on Wednesday an evolving military strategy that will increasingly rely on targeted, clandestine strikes rather than conventional military operations.
- Dadaab, Kenya: The World's Largest Refugee Camp
June 28 2011 2:18 PM
The Dadaab camp in northern Kenya is the world’s largest refugee camp. Designed to hold only 90,000 people, the facility now houses at least 350,000 refugees who are fleeing civil war and drought in Somalia.
- Somalis Fleeing War and Drought Pouring Into Kenya
June 28 2011 12:31 PM
Kenya has witnessed a dramatic rise in the number of Somali refugees fleeing that country’s endless wars and, now, the worst drought in six decades, according to humanitarian groups.
- Boko Haram strikes again, kills 25
June 27 2011 11:45 AM
The Islamic sect has struck another Nigerian city, this time bombing a popular beer garden.
- Why a stable Afghan government matters
June 23 2011 2:26 PM
With a 30,000-person troop withdrawal now scheduled, how will politics in Afghanistan and Pakistan be affected?
- Boko Haram, violence on the rise in Nigeria
June 21 2011 4:50 PM
The jihadist clan has made good on their threat to cause more destruction in Nigeria. They have said that the time to negotiate has passed.
- Angelina Jolie observes World Refugee Day in Italy
June 20 2011 10:40 AM
To celebrate World Refugee Day on June 20, Jolie traveled from Malta to the Italian island of Lampedusa to tour the temporary camps with the UN's High Commissioner for Refugees.
- Terrorist, bin Laden confidant lives safely in Pakistan
June 15 2011 3:21 PM
Fazle-ur-Rahman Khalil, a paramilitary leader and bin-Laden associate, is living in Islamabad
- Afghanistan Most Dangerous Place On Earth For Women: Survey
June 15 2011 9:03 AM
Afghanistan is the most dangerous country in the world for women, according to a survey of gender experts by TrustLaw, a legal news service run by The Thomson-Reuters Foundation